Why become a member? ×

Musicman Sterling LE Black Onyx(What Value??)

blunderthumbs

Hello Basschatters.
I have recently traded my Rickenbacker 4003 for a Limited edition Musicman Sterling Black Onyx
number 132 0f 150.
For insurance purposes I need to put a value on this. As there are not many of them around
I have had to guess at £1500. Obviously they where only made in 2002 so I couldn't replace it with a new one.
Any ideas.? :unsure: [attachment=108479:Sterling black onyx 2.jpg]

Edited by blunderthumbs

I think they share the same neck profile, but they won't sound the same being different electronics. I've seen standard Sterlings go for £650-800, his being a special I would have no idea. Sorry I wasn't too much help! Others here are experts though, you can also ask on the EB forums or even TB.

I'd have thought the value of the LE would be up there with something like a 30th anniversary Ray. Depending on the day anywhere between about £1000 at the low end but maybe as high as £1300 if an MM collector takes a shine to it.

I've had a standard Sterling in the past. playability (neck wise) just as fast as a Jazz. Sound wise - much closer to a Ray......i.e. nothing like a Jazz. Harder edged and less versatile sound palate wise than a Jazz but sits in a mix well and a great sound if you like it. Personally I do but I wouldn't have one as my only bass. Just my 2p

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1336761400' post='1650785']
I'd have thought the value of the LE would be up there with something like a 30th anniversary Ray. Depending on the day anywhere between about £1000 at the low end but maybe as high as £1300 if an MM collector takes a shine to it.

I've had a standard Sterling in the past. playability (neck wise) just as fast as a Jazz. Sound wise - much closer to a Ray......i.e. nothing like a Jazz. Harder edged and less versatile sound palate wise than a Jazz but sits in a mix well and a great sound if you like it. Personally I do but I wouldn't have one as my only bass. Just my 2p
[/quote]

Great post, I also agree on the price. Only as an estimate though. I did have a Stingray as my only bass once but I wish I had got an l2000 instead for a wider variety of tones.

• 2 weeks later...

Mansons have one listed for £1699

[url="http://www.mansons.co.uk/shopping/brands/musicman-bass-guitars/ernie-ball/music-man-limited-edition-black-onyx-sterling/"]http://www.mansons.c...-onyx-sterling/[/url]

And is one of of the 150 from 2002

Edited by markstuk

If you lost it, you'd want to be able to replace it - I would try and get a Policy which gets you a new replacement - clearly it can't be a black Onyx but a new Sterling with premium colour, perhaps. If you were lucky enough to find a black onyx one you could probably get that with this approach.

I'm surprised to hear the comparisons between a Sterling and a Jazz - beyond the neck profile - the Sterling is basically a 4 string version of the 1992-2008 Stingray 5, electronically - far more dynamics than a Jazz owing to pick up switching ability combined with a wide range of bass, mid and treble boost and cut on the EQ - in SR5 form these have been used on countless recordings. A whole range of tones is available from smooth to harsh - they are very responsive to variety in playing/plucking style and position, as you would expect owing to the greater dynamic range.

I've watched lots of comparisons of Precision v Jazz v Stingray and none explore the range of tones available on the MM bass - often showing it played with the EQ flat - in comparison the Precision and Jazz get shown with the half a dozen general stock sounds available between them. I personally prefer the range being available but still have a soft spot for the Precision and Jazz.

[quote name='markstuk' timestamp='1337703217' post='1664268']
Mansons have one listed for £1699

[url="http://www.mansons.co.uk/shopping/brands/musicman-bass-guitars/ernie-ball/music-man-limited-edition-black-onyx-sterling/"]http://www.mansons.c...-onyx-sterling/[/url]

And is one of of the 150 from 2002
[/quote]

The one in Mansons is new/old stock. Can't understand why it has been hanging around unsold for 10 years
as this bass was only made in 2002 as a one off ???? :mellow:

[quote name='blunderthumbs' timestamp='1338018757' post='1668612']
The one in Mansons is new/old stock. Can't understand why it has been hanging around unsold for 10 years
as this bass was only made in 2002 as a one off ???? :mellow:
[/quote]

Because the price is ridiculous....

The last I saw on eBay sold for around the £1200 mark, but I would do that thing mentioned above where you can get a new one.

• 3 months later...

Hey, that beauty was mine, I sold it to a fellow B/C'er about a year ago.
I would say £1,500 is about right, as that is what I paid for it a few years ago.
It was originally owned by a someone in the States.

If you go to the "[size=4][font=Arial]The Original Comprehensive Music Man Bass Website"[/font][/size]
[url="http://myweb.ecomplanet.com/town8019/mycustompage0030.htm"]http://myweb.ecompla...tompage0030.htm[/url]

and scroll down to the almost the bottom of the page, you will see a photo of the actual bass itself.

Here's some pics from when I owned it.

Edited by thebrig

Insurance is a funny thing because 'new for old' means that you'd need to look at the cost of one NOW which you patently can't get, so generally an insurance company would want a written quote (or two) from retailers as to the value. As to what would it cost you to buy a used one; I watched one sell on ebay for under £1000 and one sold on here for £1250 but you can guarantee if you desperately wanted to buy one, you'd not find one for love nor money... or approximately £1500! LOL

Real life situation - I have a Ltd Ed Warwick of which 100 were made and it retailed in 1991 for £1800 yet to get an identical bass made from Warwick CS it'd cost me £6000. However, my insurance company will only insure it for £1800 +index linked inflation.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1346080409' post='1784978']
Yes agreed it is a difficult area - mind you index linking over 21 yrs should add 100% ish to the original insured value?
[/quote]

:D No the maths doesn't quite work like that! Oh and you can work it out however you like but at the end of the day the only calculation that counts is the formulae that the insurance company use! ;)

BTW it is presently insured for £2200

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1346079730' post='1784964']
Insurance is a funny thing because 'new for old' means that you'd need to look at the cost of one NOW which you patently can't get, so generally an insurance company would want a written quote (or two) from retailers as to the value. As to what would it cost you to buy a used one; I watched one sell on ebay for under £1000 and one sold on here for £1250 but you can guarantee if you desperately wanted to buy one, you'd not find one for love nor money... or approximately £1500! LOL

Real life situation - I have a Ltd Ed Warwick of which 100 were made and it retailed in 1991 for £1800 yet to get an identical bass made from Warwick CS it'd cost me £6000. However, my insurance company will only insure it for £1800 +index linked inflation.
[/quote]

Good comment. I have a custom shop BC Rich Eagle, which would costs >$5000 to replace, if I needed to source a new one - but I've only been able to insure it for a lower amount (albeit not that low), with an agreement around index-linking.

Sigh, it looks a stunning bass. Since discovering the Ernie Balls I've managed to aquire a few... and I still manage to come back and find more I would like! Best add this to the list, alongside the SLO and Reflex! :lol: