Why become a member? ×

Best way to record from my amp

Mornats

I want to try and record directly from my amp into Reaper. I use a Guitar Rig Session I/O as my sound recording device and I usually just plug my bass straight into it. If I want to record my amp - an Ashdown 220 Touring - what's the best way to go about it? It's got a DI out socket (one of the 3-pin types) and an effects loop send and return but no line out. Can I just get a cable to go from the DI into a guitar lead type plug so I can just plug it into my Guitar Rig interface?

Cheers!

You can go from either your DI or the fx send. Some fx sends bypass the amp's EQ section. I've recorded using both (not at the same time though).

So your answer is Yes, you can just get an XLR to jack (of any size you like), plug in & record. :)

Ah, but then I'd have to buy a mic and I'll be on here forever asking for advice on that one! I'll take a guitar lead out of the FX send to see how that works out and I'll grab a XLR to jack lead soon. Cheers for the help guys!

Oh, I thought that was for microphones only! Would I have to do anything with the phantom power button if I plug the amp into that? I'm assuming that the XLR to XLR would be the best quality (if using the same quality leads that is).

And if I do end up buying a decent mic I could record using the mic and the DI and blend away. :D

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1336502565' post='1646596']
Oh, I thought that was for microphones only! Would I have to do anything with the phantom power button if I plug the amp into that? I'm assuming that the XLR to XLR would be the best quality (if using the same quality leads that is).
[/quote]

The phantom power button is only for "condenser" microphones, there is no need to have it switched on when plugging in a DI from your amp.

It's always best to leave the Phantom power switched off unless you plugging in something that requires it. Most good quality equipment should ignore it if it isn't needed but occasionally you'll come across something less well designed and it'll cause some damage.

If there enough inputs I always record the amp DI'd, the most pleasing sounding speaker and a raw DI from the bass to use for re-amping in case I need to make a major tonal change to the bass part once the rest of the track is down.

That's interesting, how do you record a DI straight from the bass as well as going through an amp? My noobishness is saying to me that this would require a guitar lead that split into two connectors but that doesn't sound right.

Gotcha. That wouldn't be my Guitar Rig Session then. Unless one of the things I've got my monitors plugged into would do it... hmmm. Oh, I'm an idiot. My monitors are plugged in using XLR to jack cables. OK, I'll go play with some music now and will stop asking silly questions!

EDIT: Ah hang on, they're male plugs and I need female plugs. Carry on...

Edited by Mornats

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I got myself an XLR - XLR lead and gave it a shot recording through my Guitar Rig Session. Setting the DI to pre-eq works a treat but I'm getting a lot of hiss when I record post eq. I think I know what this is, but I'm sure you guys could confirm it.

So, obviously when recording post-eq the volume of the combo affects the volume that goes into the Guitar Rig interface. So at home, the amp has to be fairly low volume. I can compensate fo this by turning up the input knob on the interface but when I get past halfway (and way before it starts clipping) I get a tonne of annoying hiss. So basically, I can't get a decent strength signal from my combo unless I shatter all the glass in the house with volume. :( The volume I can get is less than half the volume I usually record at which isn't any good.

Am I right that I need to turn the amp way up to avoid sending a whole load of hiss to the Guitar Rig interface?

Here's what I know about the equipment if it helps:

Combo: Ashdown Touring 220. Balanced XLR DI out. Doesn't mention specifically that it has a ground lift (which is where my thoughts are about the cause of the hiss).
Cable: DV Pro XLR-XLR ([url="http://www.dv247.com/cables/dv-high-performance-microphone-cable--88029"]http://www.dv247.com/cables/dv-high-performance-microphone-cable--88029[/url]).
Interface: Guitar Rig Session I/O: Balanced XLR input.

Quite disappointing really as I can't record the amp's sound without grabbing a mic and miking it up.

I don't have a passive bass so can't try that one. I'll test it again but the hiss is more to do with how much I turn up the input knob on the interface rather than the amount of treble on there. When i tried earlier the changes I made to the eq didn't seem to affect the amount of hiss. I still think it's either lack of ground lift or I'm just upping the volume too far on the interface to make up for the low volume that I had the amp on. Might take the macbook and interface to band practice to test out the volume theory.

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1338049112' post='1669033']
I don't have a passive bass so can't try that one. I'll test it again but the hiss is more to do with how much I turn up the input knob on the interface rather than the amount of treble on there. When i tried earlier the changes I made to the eq didn't seem to affect the amount of hiss. I still think it's either lack of ground lift or I'm just upping the volume too far on the interface to make up for the low volume that I had the amp on. Might take the macbook and interface to band practice to test out the volume theory.
[/quote]

Ok. I don't think it is a grounding issue, since that would most likely cause 50-cycle hum rather than hissing.

I like this thread. It's giving me an idea, believe it or not,)
I have a Line 6 ux1, which has a selection of virtual bass amps /effects etc.
The box that comes provided, has guitar input, xlr for mic etc.I have a pair of studio monitors plugged in.

Since I've lost interest being in bands, my Aguilar ag500c has been lying under the bed.
What I did love about the Aguilar , was the fantastic warm sound when I rehearsed or played live.
The best sound I've ever used in fact .Tho' previously the Eden nemesis I used to own was also awesome and slightly brighter.

Anyway, I wonder if I could plug my aggie into my setup for a different sound?.

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1338070092' post='1669372']
Ah ok, then I suspect it's volume related and I just need to turn the amp up to get a good clean signal from it. Bye-bye neighbours!
[/quote]

could you not just unplug your speaker and monitor using the monitor out of your audio interface? Solid state heads are ok with that sort of thing.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1338096497' post='1669497']
Anyway, I wonder if I could plug my aggie into my setup for a different sound?.
[/quote]

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to do. It should be possible although of course the contribution to the sound that the speaker makes will be taken out of the equation.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1338111818' post='1669645']
could you not just unplug your speaker and monitor using the monitor out of your audio interface? Solid state heads are ok with that sort of thing.
[/quote]

I could try that. My amp has a dual tube valve pre-amp in it so I'm not sure if that would be bad for it though?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1338112291' post='1669655']
Sounds like poor amp design. The DI output should be pre-master volume (irrespective of whether it is pre or post EQ), so that adjusting your amp volume on-stage doesn't change the level of the feed to the PA.
[/quote]

That's what I thought. If you're on stage and are going through the PA and use the amp for your monitor then it'll mess up the mix if you tweak it. That doesn't sound right to me. I'll pop Ashdown an email, they've been really good at getting back to me quickly.

[quote name='Mornats' timestamp='1338113441' post='1669681']
I could try that. My amp has a dual tube valve pre-amp in it so I'm not sure if that would be bad for it though?
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure it is only the power stage you need to worry about in terms of tubes.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1338112291' post='1669655']
Sounds like poor amp design. The DI output should be pre-master volume (irrespective of whether it is pre or post EQ), so that adjusting your amp volume on-stage doesn't change the level of the feed to the PA.
[/quote]

certainly is. My amp has a line level pot on the DI output which is a much more sensible idea for getting the level right.

Edited by EdwardHimself

I hate to state obvious here, but have you tried adjusting the input gain in guitar rig?

EDIT: I re-read and saw that you did.... Are you running anything else in the guitar rig software or just recording the clean signal from your amp?

Edited by shinhoman

I'm not actually running the guitar rig software, just using the interface. So basically it's the same as recording a completely clean signal from the bass into Reaper but instead, taking the signal from the amp. Pre-eq is fine, it's just post-eq that isn't. I've actually emailed Ashdown to ask about it so just waiting for their reply.

It's a shame as I'll have to mic it up if the DI isn't working and I'll have to contend with the fan noise from the amp, any ambient noises in the room and deal with mic positioning, oh and buy a mic! I wanted a nice easy way to do it so hopefully Ashdown will come back with something.

One thing to note is that drivers in bass amps have a limited high frequency response. In other words, there is a high frequency roll off so the hiss you are hearing wouldn't come through the amp itself, which may be why you haven't heard it before.

Or maybe it's just the hiss from the pre-amps in your interface?