Why become a member? ×

Any one know what model Rick this is?

Highfox

Just out of interest I thought I'd ask if anyone knows if this is a real Rick and if so what model? Not looking to make trouble just interested.
http://muusikoiden.net/dyn/tori/634785.jpg?1336229729
Someone on a Finnish forum is looking to try swap it for a 4004!

Yep first 4004 and lets put it this way, if it did not say Rickenbacker on the top and you had to keep reminding yourself how much it was worth, you would put it straight down again in the shop, they took all the worst bits of a 50 year old design and put it in a new instrument.
Only of use for impressing other bass players with your wallet.

Yes - the bassist who toured with Paul Weller a few years back used one.

They're very nice basses, but have never been as popular as the good old 4003/4001. Ironic really, as Ric always get criticised for not updating the 4003 model - in fact they have, but nobody buys them!

[quote name='vax2002' timestamp='1336296146' post='1643544']
they took all the worst bits of a 50 year old design and put it in a new instrument.

[/quote]

In what way? The usual criticism of the 4003 is the bridge design, the pickup covers etc. Both updated on the 4004, but as I say, they've never been that popular.

[quote name='simon1964' timestamp='1336296261' post='1643545']

They're very nice basses, but have never been as popular as the good old 4003/4001. Ironic really, as Ric always get criticised for not updating the 4003 model - in fact they have, but nobody buys them!
[/quote]

They look good, but the bit that really needed updating, never got updated, the fact that they play like a coffee table with strings on, with a 4001 and 4003, they have so much eye candy you can put up with it, but as newer instruments go, they needed a newer instrument designed to play rather than look like a 4001 updated, but I dont think they have the design know how to build anything but slabs of wood with strings on, as many find out when they buy one, the number of nearly new Ricks on e.bay tells you one thing about them, you dont buy them as a players instrument.

[quote name='vax2002' timestamp='1336297066' post='1643563']
Do you have a very dark purple/ midnight blue 4003 with black hardware, if so did you buy it off e.bay a fair few years ago ?
[/quote]

No and No!

I have an all black 4003 and a Mapleglo 330. Why - did you want to make me an offer? :lol:

Edited by simon1964

No I spotted someone showing off my Old rick or what looked like it on here once , I say mine because I had it made from the factory , it was a custom colour in very very dark midnight with black hardware as it had smoke lacquer on, not clear, I had to sell it when the local crims stole my car and work tools.
Now I would sell my backside to get that Rick back

[quote name='vax2002' timestamp='1336297503' post='1643569']
No I spotted someone showing off my Old rick or what looked like it on here once , I say mine because I had it made from the factory , it was a custom colour in very very dark midnight with black hardware as it had smoke lacquer on, not clear, I had to sell it when the local crims stole my car and work tools.
Now I would sell my backside to get that Rick back
[/quote]

Sorry vax - can't help you on that. Sounds a pretty distinctive bass.

It was, it might pass off as a 4003 m/blue but you would have to make excuses as to why it was so dark, it was just a request for dark smoke lacquer, they would make custom basses in 1993, they took a bit of the neck radius as well.
Now I have had hundreds of basses, but I think I would trade them all for that one back, just because it was mine and made for me.
That and if I ever spot it and they dont sell me it back, I will tanter and tanter !

[quote name='simon1964' timestamp='1336296261' post='1643545']

[/quote]

In defence of the non-buyers, Simon, they do look like sh*t.