Why become a member? ×

Gerry Rafferty

wombatboter

A couple of weeks ago while I was soundchecking in a club just before a gig I heard some music coming through the stereo and suddenly I remembered the tune and it felt great to hear it again after so many years.. It was "Night Owl" by Gerry Rafferty.
The next day I started looking on YT for some other stuff and found this documentary about Rafferty and I admired his love for music and his stubbornness when the marketing side was concerned..
It's in four parts and I found it very interesting..
Also included here is the video with Mo Foster supplying that great fretless bass-line on Night Owl with some nice close-ups of his vibrato..
If I 'm not mistaken this particular fretless bass is for sale at The Gallery...
Been listening to Rafferty since a couple of weeks and really enjoyed his music while driving in my car..

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vTnff0pkgs[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55pNVKQLhiU&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL5285C364DEEBE01A[/media]

Historical note here of interest to no-one but meself and my missus but my father-in-law managed Fifth Column during their brief existence and Mrs Bob remembers Gerry Rafferty singing lullabys to her and her sister when she was wee! They parted company cos the band fought all the time :P My father-in-law is now gone but my mother-in-law remembers all the gory details!
My wife swears she drew a poster for their first gig at The Firemans Association Club at Glasgow Airport.

The Memorial concert was awful IMO - great tunes done not very well.

BB

Apparantly he wasn't the easiest person to work with but when I listen to the recordings there are these clever arrangements and the care for detail.. Amazing how he had a clear grip on the production (the importance of the percussion for instance) and got the best out all of these musicians..

Transatlantic operated as the agent for many of its bands, getting gigs and helping with the publicity, but after the Humblebums caused so much trouble to the promoters with their arguments and “no shows” Transatlantic stopped getting the gigs.

Our band was collateral damage. We were too disorganised to sort ourselves out and the band split through lack of work.

I read an interview once with Raphael Ravenscroft who played the immortal saxophone on Baker Street.
He said that he had a good thing going doing studio sessions until he was asked to play on that particular song.
He noticed that he had less work àfter that song and wondered why..
He heard from the people he used to work for that they thought he would be too expensive to book since the success of Baker Street and they didn't dare to contact him anymore :-)

[quote name='BarnacleBob' timestamp='1335979880' post='1639054']
The Memorial concert was awful IMO - great tunes done not very well.
[/quote]

Most of it was so-so, but when they did Baker Street my jaw hit the floor. I thought it was incredible...

This version of 'Get It Right Next Time' from the this year's hogmanay is mint. Rab Noakes sings a blinder...

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcBTeIulf4o"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcBTeIulf4o[/url]

Agree that Gerry was an unbelievable talent. Some great songs.
I must admit i didn't think the memorial concert did the songs justice and couldn't really take to it.
Think I'm just so used to hearing Gerry's version that anything else i personally find difficult to match up to it.

Dave