Why become a member? ×

Bases with more than 4 strings

tall_martin

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1336125056' post='1641184']
heh, I genuinely did all over my first flat 15 years ago, screwdriver bashed into the wall with the flat of a pair of pliers to put shelves up. Worked mind you, but not recommended.
:)
[/quote]

I once routed network cable from downstairs to upstairs using a roast fork, a knife steel and a corkscrew. Then I fitted the plug using a cigarette lighter and a pair of tweezers. I told this to the man who came to inspect my boiler later that day and he gave me a screwdriver.

Which I then used to open a carton of milk. :)

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1336138929' post='1641494']
I once routed network cable from downstairs to upstairs using a roast fork, a knife steel and a corkscrew. Then I fitted the plug using a cigarette lighter and a pair of tweezers. I told this to the man who came to inspect my boiler later that day and he gave me a screwdriver.

Which I then used to open a carton of milk. :)
[/quote]

I doff my hat to you, you sir are a genius :)

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1336064930' post='1640448']
Done on a 4 stringer, but a good reason to need an extra string higher. Please excuse some dodgy mandolin playing, she's new to the song.

[url="http://soundcloud.com/bassg/my-old-friends"]http://soundcloud.co.../my-old-friends[/url]
[/quote]

Liked the track xgsix. Good vocalist who sou very comfortable with what he's doing. What kind of 6 stringer are you using. Its got a really nice deep mellow sound.

Dave

A 6 String is Tuned B E A D G C

A 7 string is normally tuned B E A D G C F

If that answers part of your question.

It's down to what you play and how you play, though I'd like to bring this up: A 6 string has 10 notes more than 4 string. Why people think these 5 extra notes means a bass with more strings is pointless/too high etc is beyond me!

(Note: Not saying anyone said that!)

I've lusted after a 7 string for a while. Short answer to why? Because I would like to be able to use notes in that range!

As previously said it's all down to the music you play, and what kind of player you are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cjZ47iwv_Q

Is a good example of the 7 string range be used from the low B to the top of te fret board in one track and I personally really enjoy the music, and the bass part. You may think it sounds stupid, each to their own!

Though not to say because you have the range available means you should use it all in every track but I like having it at my disposal.

Finally, Re: Jean Baudin, he gets a bad wrap for that Mario thing. He did it for a laugh, as you might be able to tell by that very bass, and another bass he owned now owned by a member on here he's a game nut! He is a fantastic bass player (ie writes great lines IMHO) and that's not including his tapping stuff which is down to personal taste again I do a reasonable amount of tap, but not in the same style or way. I'll admit the "ERB" thing is some times a bit of a gimmick, but when done right I love it.

I'd stick to my 4 string for some stuff, and I do. So it's all a matter of because someone wants to I guess!

[quote name='tall_martin' timestamp='1335960378' post='1638586']
So 4 strings are perfect for me, why are extra high strings perfect for you? Do you play melody lines on them? Solo?

What do you use the lower strings for, and on a 7 string do they normlay come strung with one or two strings below the E?

Its these two that have me curious. The 7 looks like one string below the E- same as the 6.

[/quote]

So hopefully I've answered the last two questions of your post in my previous post.

As I said "extra high" may be miss leading as on a 6 string it's 5 extra notes which some harmonic playing you can get on a 4 string.

I often play melody lines, and solo on a 4 string as well and well into the 4 string range from bottom of the neck to the top. Though in situations without guitars it's nice to have some variation in range if you are playing the lead line/lead part such as in a jazz group.

One thing I do, is i use alot of chord shapes, chords, arrpegios etc and interval shifting which is easier and gives more options / possibilites for chords on a 6 string or 7 string than on a 4 string.

And I use the Low B when I want to go lower than an E (so for the cheeky answer!) again I like the option of range. Sometimes I'll double down so I'm play an octave below the guitar for a thick chunky sound, or when the rest of the music goes up I'll head down to fill out the sound and create a slightly different feel.

Many of my favourite and worshiped players do much of what I've said on a 4 string, but not all of it is strictly possible.

I have certainly rambled more than anything so will be silent now! :ph34r:

I've had a couple of nice 5 string basses in the past but found that I wasn't really using the low B, not that because it confused me after playing 4 string for so long, so I always ended up getting rid of them.

Recently I got another 5 string and strung it E to C, for me personally it is far more useful than the low B with the music that I play, but that's purely my own personal preference.

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1336201307' post='1642343']
Liked the track xgsix. Good vocalist who sou very comfortable with what he's doing. What kind of 6 stringer are you using. Its got a really nice deep mellow sound.

Dave
[/quote]

Thanks Dave :) It's one of my favourite songs that we've written.
That's my Ibanez SR1000 4 stringer that I'm using as an example of why I could do with 6 strings. It's strung with flats & put through my pedal board.
The singer plays a Garrison Acoustic that he brought back from Canada (if his accent didn't give it away, he's Canadian :) ), he got Strung Out in Glasgow to fit a piezo pick up in it.
The track was recorded in my living room with a small condenser mic plugged directly into my mac (& sat too close to the mandolinist).

I play 4 strings, but every so often while playing will want to play notes that would be easy if I had a b string. So a 5 string would be nice, I have. Realised though that a good 5 is more expensive than a good 4 so one day ill be able to afford one, but not yet. Not that i don't have a mental list of 5ers I would want to try.

Extended range basses have their place, in the same way that the Fender P has its place. If you play music where the bass has more freedom/more room in the mix (such as a Jazz trio or Quartet or perhaps a progressive rock band) then the 6 string gives you more options in the upper register to solo or chord, and more options in the lower register when playing a supportive role. Both are really effective when done well, chords on the 6 string sound so different and so much richer than chords on the guitar, and the low B string adds a new dimension when supporting a pianist/guitarist, or adding weight to distorted rhythm guitar.

If you're playing in a band with 2 guitars AND a keys player then you will naturally end up staying in and around first position, because the frequencies/space in the upper range of the bass are already taken up in the mix. The low B string will still be completely relevant in adding weight to the ensemble however.

Here is a perfect example of the 6 string being played by an absolute master of the instrument, Mr Anthony Jackson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd349Df1Ows

[quote name='funkypenguin' timestamp='1336241924' post='1643067']

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kd349Df1Ows[/media]
[/quote]

forget how many strings is being played, it's almost irrelevant - that is quite outstanding from all 3 of them.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1335963485' post='1638672']
Five strings are handy - the lower notes are useful and the B string itself has an interesting sound to it.
[/quote]

THIS.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1335963485' post='1638672']
You can use it to upload videos of yourself in your bedroom two-handed tapping pieces of music that would sound much nicer on a piano.
[/quote]

Also this. Wish I could play piano...