Why become a member? ×

MusicMan SUB5 - black *** SOLD ***

mcnach

Not the 5-string type... so reluctantly, here is my 5-string MM SUB5 bass.

It currently has a black matt pickguard, but the metallic original will be included too.
The original pickup is installed, despite these pictures showing a Basslines pickup.

It's a 2004 model, active, 2-band Stingray preamp.
In good condition, although the back of the neck and top of the headstock has some marks. Nothing horrendous, but it's not immaculate. I'll try to post some pictures to show that.

Looking for £425 delivered... unless I come to my senses and keep it ;)

Here is a picture of it *without* pickguard (the one on the far left)

This is how it looks now, but with the original pickup instead of the Basslines:

this with the original pickguard:

Edited by mcnach

If i had the cash right now i would be buying that faster than anything. I played a SUB5 in a local shop and it was probably the best sub-£500 bass i've played yet, even competing with some costing a lot more. A good price for an absolute quality piece of kit, whoever buys this will surely be happy.

Good luck with the sale,

Liam

[quote name='Jabba_the_gut' timestamp='1335908177' post='1638016']
Great basses type bump!

Out of interest, where did you get the pickguard from? I'm not too fussed on the checkerplate one on my SUB 5......

Cheers
[/quote]

I've got a red tortoise-shell pick guard on my SUB4 and it looks killer, way better than the paper thin one that comes as standard!

[quote name='tividalebass' timestamp='1335961476' post='1638620']
incidentally why have you taken the baslines pickup off ?
[/quote]

I liked the original better.

The Basslines was a ceramic pickup, and it was nice. I like the MM style pickups they made and used their alnico versions in my OLPs. Great pickups. But I feel the original sounded more like a Stingray, which is what I wanted out of this bass. Whether it is because of the alnico/ceramic or something else, I don't know.

[quote name='Jabba_the_gut' timestamp='1335908177' post='1638016']
Great basses type bump!

Out of interest, where did you get the pickguard from? I'm not too fussed on the checkerplate one on my SUB 5......

Cheers
[/quote]

From "Pickguard Heaven", in the US.
They had the template listed, so it was easy. Just select the material/colour, and it was with me within a couple of weeks.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1335964481' post='1638694']
From "Pickguard Heaven", in the US.
They had the template listed, so it was easy. Just select the material/colour, and it was with me within a couple of weeks.
[/quote]

Cheers for the details - bump!!

[quote name='dc2009' timestamp='1335978013' post='1638980']
I've heard these raved about but never had chance to try one myself, what's the comparison to something like say a Tanglewater CJ 5 for example, which I was a big fan of for a similar price?
[/quote]

Absolutely no idea.

:)

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1335979800' post='1639049']
I;d love this bass. I had a green one for a while and regret selling it a few years ago.
No money im afraid, unless you want a Squier CV thrown in ;-)

Shame you have to break up such a nice collection of basses.
[/quote]

actually a Squier CV Jazz might tempt me ;)
but I really shouldn't...
although it would tempt me.

the family portrait above is not current...
From the left:

1) SUB5, now for sale... no need for 5 stringers at the moment and I always play 4 strings instead, a bit superfluous to me.

2) black OLP. Still passive but with a SD pickup. Black/maple, one of my favourite combinations. This one has some nylon tapewounds right now and (for now) it's staying, but it may go after all too.

3) blue fretless OLP. Sold it already.

4) another OLP, with SD pickup and 3-band preamp, currently for sale on this forum.

5) MM Stingray, this one is staying

and not pictured: white MM SUB, which has become my main bass and everything else just looks at it with jealousy. Even the Stingray above doesn't get much action these days.

So the family has already been broken up... I plan to keep only the Stingray and the 4-string SUB... and *perhaps* the black OLP for tape/flatwound stuff.

That active OLP looks lovely.

It's funny but I didn't realise the black SUB uwas a 5 string lol. Still fancy it though.

My CV jazz is on the table if you do fancy it. It's got a set of Wizard 74's in it and a Gotoh 201 bridge, although I still have the stock bits as well..

It would be quite strange If I did end up with a SUB for my jazz (plus cash your way of course) as I swapped my much loved HW1 jazz for my a SUB a few years ago on here.

I'm sure you wont have any trouble selling it outright though, you don't see many of these come up.

God luck with all the basses.

[quote name='chuck_stones' timestamp='1336311715' post='1643803']
Any interest in a trade for a P/J Tanglewood?
[/quote]

Thank you for the offer, but the only trade I might consider would be some sort of Jazz bass, and I would prefer a straight cash exchange operation as I have some expenses coming and it would help.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='sime17' timestamp='1337377183' post='1659201']
Hmmfff. I want this but have no cash. Please have a bump in the hope that someone with taste AND cash will see it and put me out of my misery.... :(
[/quote]

:)