Why become a member? ×

Duck Dunn P Bass - with The MGs

Jazzneck

Just perusing one of my CD covers and am intrigued by the bass Duck Dunn is holding.
I guess it is a 50s Precision but is it a slab or contour body? any ideas of its year?
(Mods, this might be the wrong forum to post this but feel free to move or delete if it is).

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1335810384' post='1636435']
His seems to be far more of a red-burst than mine.

Interesting that he has the bridge ashtray mounted what I would describe as "the wrong way round", though I have seen a fair few done like that.
[/quote]

Yes, it's that red-burst colouration that I like and hence wondered about the "year".
Although, thinking about it for a bit, I've seen this picture a lot of times before as a black + white so I wonder if the colour could be due to the photo being "colour tinted" a bit later in it's life and thus the "wrong" colour sunburst?

Re the ashtray, I've seen them mounted both ways round and I asked the question of a guy who had one "the wrong way round". His answer was that it was easier to re- string without taking off the ashtray - I thinking he might have been telling porkies to a young'n. :unsure:

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1335813889' post='1636529']
Yes, it's that red-burst colouration that I like and hence wondered about the "year".
Although, thinking about it for a bit, I've seen this picture a lot of times before as a black + white so I wonder if the colour could be due to the photo being "colour tinted" a bit later in it's life and thus the "wrong" colour sunburst?

Re the ashtray, I've seen them mounted both ways round and I asked the question of a guy who had one "the wrong way round". His answer was that it was easier to re- string without taking off the ashtray - I thinking he might have been telling porkies to a young'n. :unsure:
[/quote]
I think you might be correct about the colouring (the suits too).

The bridge cover is the wrong way round because it's easier to restring with it the right way round.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1335810635' post='1636441']
It is the wrong way around.
[/quote]

I read somewhere that people have the bridge ashtray this way round to negate the effects of the integral rubber mute, but I don't know if it's true. :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1335816211' post='1636574']
I read somewhere that people have the bridge ashtray this way round to negate the effects of the integral rubber mute, but I don't know if it's true. :)
[/quote]
I heard the same when I was researching which way was the right way as I had seen both.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1335816211' post='1636574']
[/quote]
That could be true, I guess. When I say the right way around, I mean how they left the factory.

This thread made me try putting the bridge ashtray on "backwards" ... it works, the mutes are disconnected and the bass now sounds & plays like a Precision with no mutes.

Which, in this particular case, is an improvement. B)

I love what Duck does and how he really propels a song.

It's interesting to watch his technique though. Thumb coming over the top of the neck. Lots of hand movement. Fretting fingers flailing away.

Like many, I was taught to try and eradicate such 'bad' habits and to use minimal, economic movement, etc etc. So whay am I not a better player than Duck? ;)

Just goes to show, whatever works is whatever works...

[quote name='Graham56' timestamp='1336393279' post='1644836']
...I was taught to try and eradicate such 'bad' habits and to use minimal, economic movement, etc etc. So whay am I not a better player than Duck? ;) Just goes to show, whatever works is whatever works...[/quote]

I agree. I often use my left thumb for muting the E string which of course is a no-no, but would you rather have it ring out when you don't want it to? And yes, I use right-hand palm muting at the bridge as well. Whatever gets the job done, imo.

....Just goes to show, whatever works is whatever works....
[/quote]

Yep.

The first rule is, "There are no rules", closely followed by "If it sounds good then it is good".

Everything after that is personal preference.

Just goes to show, whatever works is whatever works...
[/quote]

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1336401525' post='1645034']
The first rule is, "There are no rules", closely followed by "If it sounds good then it is good".

Everything after that is personal preference.
[/quote]
While none of that is untrue, it's worth remembering that standard techniques have become standard exactly because they worked - not that I have a very standard technique myself, I'm more like the Duck, except he's better.