Why become a member? ×

Jaco: a film

risingson

It looks like it's going to be a documentary film, which is a much better idea than what was being bandied around about 8/9 years ago where there was talk of some kind of "feature film" being made.

Hopefully it will have a lot of great footage from the Weather Report and Word of Mouth eras, and his decline will be handled quite sensitively.

I think where us bass players will be concerned, it'll be very much a "Marmite" type thing....

[quote name='horrorshowbass' timestamp='1335798271' post='1636165']
sweet! just out of interest Grand Wazoo, what didnt you like bout the book?
[/quote]

I don't know about GW and why he didn't like the book, but Bill Milkowski apparently took quite a lot of liberties in describing Jaco, a number of half-truths and inaccuracies according to the Pastorius family. Luckily I think the main film consultants are the family themselves which should shed a bit more light on his personality from those who knew him best.

[quote name='horrorshowbass' timestamp='1335798271' post='1636165']
sweet! just out of interest Grand Wazoo, what didnt you like bout the book?
[/quote]

The fact that it focused more on the downfall of Jaco than much else and the fact that a lot of the people which were interviewed complained after the book was published because their text was not accurate in particular Pat Metheny was furious.

Not nearly as much as you'd think. Sure if you compare it to a documentary about the Beatles perhaps, it's not going to garner the same level of interest. But plenty of people are aware of Jaco Pastorius and the music that he made. Not just bass players, but a wide cross-section of people interested in music.

He has has also got quite a fascinating story for the film to call on, so it could cross over to the mainstream and appeal to people who have never heard of him!

People are always fascinated by the best in any particular field and when you can throw in a rags to riches story with a tragic ending there is always a chance of it catching the imagination of a wider audience....

[quote name='peteb' timestamp='1335882854' post='1637483']
He has has also got quite a fascinating story for the film to call on, so it could cross over to the mainstream and appeal to people who have never heard of him!

People are always fascinated by the best in any particular field and when you can throw in a rags to riches story with a tragic ending there is always a chance of it catching the imagination of a wider audience....
[/quote]
What he said. :)

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1335873227' post='1637246']
Seriously guys. This is niche.
[/quote]

I agree with this. The vast majority of people I know (which includes lots of musos) have never heard of him, and I hadn't until I started coming here. Plenty of other dead bass players who would have a wider appeal.
However, it's great that someone wants to make this film enough to sink their money into it.

It will no doubt be hailed as a masterpiece of art.

And will bankrupt the producers - unless they've got a budget somewhat lower than the cost of a Big Mac.

For me Jaco falls into that Hendrix catagory - I'm glad he opened the door for the bass being taken seriously. I'm also glad he held the door open for a shitload of much better and more interesting people to come through.

I've been playing for 24 years now, In that time I've met maybe 5 non-bassists who had heard of him. And those 5 people had seriously sh*te taste in music.