Why become a member? ×

P-bass Pickguard - does this work for you?

KiOgon

By way of a change from the anodised gold, I picked up this aged Fender custom shop guard, it's a faded white pearl, Kaz doesn't like it & now I'm not sure, What do you think? I haven't finished fitting it yet, it needs trimming & a couple of extra holes, which I'm not so sure about.

Edited by KiOgon

I liked the idea of loosing the excess holes for pickup cover & thumbrest that are standard on the gold, but I'd have to drill 2 holes in the body, 1 by the G string + 1 left of pots. Not keen on doing that really.

Hmmm... it's actually the pickup covers and thumbrest I'm having the problem with! Replace the covers with black, get a black thumbrest, put it in the 57 'tug bar' position, keep the gold guard and get some ashtrays on it! :lol:

Probably not what you wanted to hear... :blush:

I love it, don't listen to Kaz whoever they are. Problem you have is the white hotrail pickups! Now if they were ordinary pole'd p/ups I would have gone for a contrasting black cover on them (and a black thumb rest too) cause the way things are with a white guard they sort of get lost in the big picture. Nice Ashdwon cab behind that!

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1335608623' post='1633634']
Hmmm... it's actually the pickup covers and thumbrest I'm having the problem with! Replace the covers with black, get a black thumbrest, put it in the 57 'tug bar' position, keep the gold guard and get some ashtrays on it! :lol:

Probably not what you wanted to hear... :blush:
[/quote]
Thanks Mark - go away :P
[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1335608723' post='1633635']
I think it looks gorgeous, much better than the gold one! Love those pickups!
[/quote]
Hooray! 1 like :gas:
The DiMarzio is fantastic, changed because I was catching the raised A poles on the standard '57 pickup.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1335609208' post='1633652']
Very well, I know when I'm not wanted - I shall re-read [i]The Fender Bass - An Illustrated History[/i] for the 1,000,000th time.
Good day to you, sir! :P :lol: ;)
[/quote]

Love you really :blush: :blink: :huh: come back ;)

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1335608783' post='1633636']
I love it, don't listen to Kaz whoever they are. Problem you have is the white hotrail pickups! Now if they were ordinary pole'd p/ups I would have gone for a contrasting black cover on them (and a black thumb rest too) cause the way things are with a white guard they sort of get lost in the big picture. Nice Ashdwon cab behind that!
[/quote]
I 'have to' listen to Kaz, she's my significant other - the other White Blonde in my life :) I was thinking maybe too much white :rolleyes:
BTW the cab is my customised Mini 48, (matching cloth & trim with the LB112).

Cheerz, John

I'm fanatically and vehemently unsure and on the fence on this. With a vengeance.
FIrst of all, I did like it right away, but then I do like a slightly tacky cleanliness that makes a statement. Wouldn't use it in just any setting though, and would avoid the clothes of your avatar with this bass for example, unless it was just for fun.
After that, on studying the anodised gold, I felt that one was more restrained and more stylish.
Finally, I realised I like a bass that shows its functionality and is not just a novelty fashion form. So, if keeping the pearl pg, I'd have contrasting colours in knobs, thumb rest and pup covers. Not necessarily black, for sure, but how about anodised gold?

Yes! That and an anodised gold body!
(Don't thank me. Just glad to solve your problem.) :)

best,
bert

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1335615380' post='1633730']
- - - (Don't thank me. Just glad to solve your problem.) :)

best,
bert
[/quote]
Thanks anyway Bert :unsure:
[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1335616481' post='1633741']
I think it looks great. I've got a white Fender P and I'm looking at it right now imagining that lovely pearly pickguard on it. I'd keep my black p/ups tho I think.
[/quote]
Cheerz 'Shell ;)
[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1335617091' post='1633756']
I just don't know. Was pearl ever a standard Fender guard finish (apart from Custom Shop)?
Supposed I'm just an old traditionalist in some ways...

...but not in others. :crazy:
[/quote]
Go away again Mark :yarr: ;) I think there were some LSRs with pearl, my MiM Gunmetal was I believe, but this is 'old stock' Custom Shop,

Edit: You can read upside down can't you? Sorry about that :D

Edited by KiOgon