Why become a member? ×

Need an advice - payment via PayPal to a newbie with no feedback?

KuzBass

Hello, fellow Basschatters!

I need an advice, here is a short story:

I search for a fretless Zon (I've bought a fretted Zon Sonus last December here on BC, I love its modern sound, playability and the fact that it survives the low temperatures like minus 25 Celsius without any neck shifts). So, I've started a topic in the Items Wanted few days ago.

To my surprise I've got an offer, lovely Zon Sonus 4 fretless. Started the correspondence via e-mail, got the pics, got my questions answered. Good price, seems like in a good shape. And then it comes to the point of discussing the means of payment, I got stuck if not to say doubted by the seller.

The point is - the seller has signed in to BC few weeks ago, no feedback, few posts one of which is in Introductions. I offer the seller to pay via bank money transfer, for which I need to know the bank details of the seller (bank name, seller's name, IBAN number, SWIFT code etc.). I usually pay this way to sellers on BC and TB, gave my bank data to buyers, never had problems (and I always present the copy of the payment confirmation stamped by bank). It is not only easier for me and not only because of the high PayPal exchange rates, in this case I am trying to avoid any possible scam attempts (meaning in case of scam by the seller I may always go to my bank, they will get in touch with the seller's bank etc., at least some hope to get the money back).

The seller gets nervous giving his bank account details. I try to explain him that knowing his bank account details I can't do any harm to him. I have a feedback (well, only 2 feedback by now here), though I am from Latvia, I am a decent person, I can present my bank account details to verify via your bank et cetera. Well, maybe I was "pushing" the seller somehow, convincing people is a part of my job, so maybe I overdid with this.

In the end the seller gets so nervous about the issue, that starts to doubt in me. Little by little it gets to the point - quote: "seems your a waste of time, PayPal, take it or leave it".

Once again - high exchange rates of PayPal are not that important. What I worry about is that PayPal in my eyes is more kind of anonymous and paying via it to the person with no feedback or recommendations is a far higher risk than via bank.

Guys, am I dumb? :)

As long as you select "paying for goods and services" on PayPal then they do have a system to help you if something goes wrong. I reckon they'd be about as helpful as your bank.

EDIT: But that's just my opinion and some people hate PayPal

Edited by cheddatom

Eh? Surely PayPal is safer. Not only are there dispute resolution tools, but you can pay with a credit card and if it all goes horribly wrong you can chargeback? If I was buying from someone in another country with no feedback on here there's no way in hell I would simply transfer them a wad of cash. Where's the comeback if it all goes wrong?

Paypal's exchange rates aren't great, IBAN transactions incur a fee too, they're both costly, not sure which has the higher 'fee' though...

If the seller is twitchy about bank transfer despite you having reassured him/her then unless you can agree to use paypal I suggest there isn't a deal. Agreeing on payment terms is a part of the deal and if that doesn't work the deal is off.

Yeh - PayPal is about as safe as you are going to get short of getting on a plane. Not that it's saying much.

Ask the guy for photographic id and a picture of the bass next to today's newspaper. A genuine seller won't complain.

Mind you - with the caveat that we are only hearing your side of the story - if the other party is saying things like "seems your a waste of time, PayPal, take it or leave it" then do you really want to deal with them at all (would you deal with someone who doesn't know basic grammar :yarr: :yarr: ) ??

Edited by thepurpleblob

PayPal is way more secure for the buyer than a bank transfer, I'd definitely be happy to pay the extra charges as a means of being sure of having my back covered. That said, I recently made a hi end bass trade with an Estonian gentleman on BC who was new to the forum. Got a reference from another BC'er, exchanged personal details and established a mutual trust, and off our two basses went without any other guarantee than the feeling that bassplayers are really good people. I'm sure it all ends well for you too, and again - as a buyer you are very well covered with PP if you choose the (slightly more expensive) "pay for goods and services" (or whatever it's called) option.

Good luck!

PayPal is great for buyers, but not so good for sellers, as payments can be cancelled or charged back even after the goods have been delivered. But As a buyer you would be fine, if you don't mind the extra cost.

The fact that the seller doesn't want to accept a bank transfer and is reluctant to give bank details would make me suspicious though, and personally I wouldn't go ahead with this deal - but that's just my opinion! :D YMMV, GLWTS, IMO, etc.

I highly appreciate all the advices, thanks everyone!

I was not aware of the fact that PayPal is that safe. I used it couple of times, mainly to pay the items like strings or Graph Tech stuff purchased on eBay (but in all cases the sellers had enormous amount of positive feedback). My biggest concern is safety, not the high exchange rates at PayPal (it is correct, a bank transfer fee is pretty high).

And the thing is that I have the same feeling as discreet - I feel suspicious about the guy being reluctant to give bank details.

I also need to study this "payment for goods and services" option at PayPal, seems I was using it usually, but never paid attention to its real meaning to the buyer and seller.

Once again, thanks everyone! Even if the deal will fall through, this is a good experience for me.

I know a few people who believe that if you give your bank sort code and account number then you can have your account cleared out - it is not an uncommon misconception. But, yes, I would use also use PayPal in these circumstances for the protection it offers.