Why become a member? ×

Hello from another old git (50+)

yepmop

Hi All

I'd not touched a bass in 31 years until my 8 year old son took an interest in music a year or so ago and also in playing the guitar (6 string). He started lessons at school and is very good at what he knows and it rekindled my need to play again (be it only along to records).

I've now got a Vintage Icon series fretless Jazz bass (nothing like making it difficult for myself in not having touched a bass in 31 years) and loving it!

I only wished I had the learning possiblities the kids have today when I first started, You Tube, Instructional DVDs, Tabs on the internet......... In my day you never came accross Bass guitar tutours, you bought a book and had to work everything out by listening to vynal records or asking someone that played bass!!

Also wished I had kepy my gear, I once owned the 5th Rickenbacker 4001 ever built, but eventaully swapped it for a 1967 Fender Jazz and a little dosh (aaahhhhh).

I've managed to get a few musicians from work involved in playing at a works do, so really looking forward to it.

The reason I gave up all those years ago, was that Warner Bros cancelled a recording contract my band had just negociated with them (it's a complicated reason) but it really broke my heart and along with the girlfiend at the time who wanted me to choose between her and music, I decided on her (wrong choise big time - but hey).

Still slowly getting back into it and really looking forward to the day I can properly jam with my son. I'm helping develop his musical knowledge by exposing him to different styles from classical to jazz to Metal to funk and he loves it.

Sorry seemed to waffled on a bit here.

Cheers

Tony

Howdo & welcome, from a 60+ old git who learnt bass on a fretless, home made 1964 by my dad & couldn't afford the fret wire :rolleyes:

Be good, have fun with your lad, (that's not meant to sound at all wierd!)
Cheerz, John

[quote name='Mickeyboro' timestamp='1335184016' post='1626787']
Welcome!

I learned on a fretless jazz copy - then put the bass away until the kids had grown up. So you won't waste as much time as I did!

What was your band called?

M
[/quote]
The Band's name was George Mac's ARC Connection (2 bands formed as 1 hence the odd name) we were a SKA band doing all our own material and used to practice in the next studio room to Madness at Halligans Band centre in London, those were the days

[quote name='yepmop' timestamp='1335183758' post='1626778']

"Also wished I had kept my gear, I once owned the 5th Rickenbacker 4001 ever built"
Tony
[/quote]

WOW! Welcome to the forum Tony from another Tony who happens to be 50+ I only wished it had been me who had swopped your old Rick. :lol: Great to have you aboard. :)

[quote name='clarkpegasus4001' timestamp='1335453342' post='1631461']
WOW! Welcome to the forum Tony from another Tony who happens to be 50+ I only wished it had been me who had swopped your old Rick. :lol: Great to have you aboard. :)
[/quote]
I love Rickie's especially the sound that Geddy and Chris S get out of them, but I found the Necks did not suite by stubby fingers and I got on better with Fender basses.
Hugely jealous that your're in a Budgie Tribute band, I met Burke Shelly in the mid 70s at a Budgie gig really nice guy, so was Tony B, probably the most underrated band of all time. Watched your clip from your site, very impressed!
Cheers

[quote name='yepmop' timestamp='1335473566' post='1631935']
I love Rickie's especially the sound that Geddy and Chris S get out of them, but I found the Necks did not suite by stubby fingers and I got on better with Fender basses.
Hugely jealous that your're in a Budgie Tribute band, I met Burke Shelly in the mid 70s at a Budgie gig really nice guy, so was Tony B, probably the most underrated band of all time. Watched your clip from your site, very impressed!
Cheers
[/quote]

Oh, Thanks very much.
I was playing in a Wishbone Ash tribute band for a couple of years but when that ended I formed the Budgie tribute. Tony Bourge is my hero and the reason i'm playing at all. I have never met Burke but I met Tony Bourge after a gig at The Boat Club in Nottingham when he played in a band called Freeze in the late 70's along with original Budgie drummer Ray Phillips, they were both really nice guys. I have met Pete Boot, drummer on the album In For The Kill who came with his wife to one of our gigs. I've also met ex-Budgie guitarist Simon Lees because he played an encore with us at a Budgie fan get - together a couple of years ago, when his band Anubis were invited to open for us and play their very first gig....all great fun! :)
I have just bought a 1974 Jazz bass so I have both, a Jazz and a Rick. Chris Squire is my fave player (hence the Rick) and Geddy Lee was another influence, Martin Turner also.
I'm glad you liked the clip, but i'm pretty sure we have played much better than that!
Nice to have you on the site Tony. B)