Why become a member? ×

FS: Sandberg Basic 4 Greenburst ***SOLD***

TRBboy

For those of you who aren't familiar with these basses, they are absolutely incredible. They are handbuilt in Germany and just ooze quality. Some of you will have undoubtedly seen threads I've started raving about them, because they have genuinely changed everything for me! They're so easy to play, the neck is extremely fast and slim, the fretboard is a fairly flat radius, and there's a zero fret, all of which combines to make these basses feel just effortless to play, and to be honest has really maximised my playing and opened things up for me.

"If they're so great, why are you selling them?" I hear you say. Well, I really want to order a custom spec Sandberg, but I need to sell these (unfortunately) to afford to do that. I will be very sad to see them go.....

Here's the spec off the Sandberg website:
NECK 6 x bolted / canadian hardrock maple FRETBOARD 24 frets or fretless SCALE 864 mm / 34", also available with 889 mm / 35" for 5-string BODY OPTIONS european ash, alder, mahogany with rarewood top FINISH OPTIONS matt, aged HARDWARE sandberg PICKUP 1 sandberg powerhumbucker PREAMP
sandberg 3-band, active / passive

These both have 2-piece solid European Ash bodies, and maple neck with rosewood board. The preamp is made by Glockenklang and is absolutely fantastic, and I suspect that the pickup is made by Delano. It's surprising the range of sounds you can get out of these basses despite the single pickup. They have LOTS of guts and growl, but can be tamed by subtle use of the eq and playing technique. These basses have a push/pull volume pot for true passive bypass.

The Natural finish one is absolutely immaculate, and in fact when I bought it last year, it still had the film on the pickguard and backs of the tuners. There is zero fret wear. I am looking for _______ for this one [b] *SOLD* [/b]

The Greenburst has seen more use, but is still in excellent condition, with the only real marks being a small ding by the bass pot, and a couple of tiny ones on the neck. The original black pickguard (included) has got quite a few pick marks on it, and the Sandberg logo has worn off the pickup. I made the clear scratchplate, so it's not perfect! i'm looking for _______ for this one. [b]*SOLD*[/b]

Price includes mainland UK delivery, and both will be sent in a hardcase BUT it's first come, first served. The first one sold will ship in a Hiscox Liteflite case, the second will ship in a..... lets say "vintage".... tan/sheepskin 80's case.

Any questions, please ask, and feel free to make me an offer.

Thanks for your time.

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:100361] [sharedmedia=core:attachments:100360]
[attachment=109010:IMG_1864.JPG] [attachment=109011:IMG_1867.JPG] [attachment=109013:IMG_1868.JPG]
[attachment=109014:IMG_1871.JPG] [attachment=109015:IMG_1873.JPG] [attachment=109016:IMG_1874.JPG]

Edited by TRBboy

These basses are absolutely great. I have a Basic and its name belies what this bass can do. The EQ is very subtle and allows you to create tones from warm and round to punchy and 'Jacoesque' The neck is beautiful to play - very comfortable and fast. These basses are about £1,000 new so this is a real bargain. Best of luck with the sale.

[quote name='petergales' timestamp='1335102934' post='1625743']
These basses are absolutely great. I have a Basic and its name belies what this bass can do. The EQ is very subtle and allows you to create tones from warm and round to punchy and 'Jacoesque' The neck is beautiful to play - very comfortable and fast. These basses are about £1,000 new so this is a real bargain. Best of luck with the sale.
[/quote]

Thanks, they really are incredible!

Sandbergs are awesome. I know it may not be what your looking for but do let me know if I can tempt you with my Fender Victor Bailey 5 string Acoustic Bass advertised here plus the difference. Gets you some cash and a cool acoustic bass that was about £800 new...
The natural finish for me of course.

[quote name='winterfire666' timestamp='1335105460' post='1625780']
that greenburst one is really tempting me, what is the action like?
[/quote]

The action is set how I like it; as low as possible without getting loads of buzz. It's always a bit subjective to talk about action, but these things really have such slender necks and are so easy and pleasurable to play! Put it this way, when I bought my first one, I ended up selling my old faithful jazz I'd had for 14 years, because the neck felt like a tree trunk compared to the Sandberg!

[quote name='op76' timestamp='1335105461' post='1625781']
Sandbergs are awesome. I know it may not be what your looking for but do let me know if I can tempt you with my Fender Victor Bailey 5 string Acoustic Bass advertised here plus the difference. Gets you some cash and a cool acoustic bass that was about £800 new...
The natural finish for me of course.
[/quote]

Sorry, really need the cash for a custom spec Sandberg!

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1335108581' post='1625828']
do you have some neck dimensions?
as a reference I am using a sterling neck which is very slim, slimmer than most jazz basses I've played.

38mm nut etc?

Stephen
[/quote]

Hi Stephen, sorry for the delay, been a bit busy this afternoon. I can't find my vernier, so I've done the best I can with a tape measure. I think it's about 38 -39mm at the nut. It's the profile of the neck and the slimness front to back that really does it for me. I measure the fretboard to back of neck about 18-19mm at first fret, and about 22-23mm at 12th fret. As I've said before, I think the zero fret and fretboard radius play a part in the amazing feel of these basses too. The back of the neck sort of flattens out down the centerline as you get further up the neck. It really does feel sublime! :D

I was gonna go for a geddy lee when i was looking for a slim neck.
After being toldhow good they were by trb boy I tried one of these in PMT manchester and although it wasnt as 'paper thin' as id expected, it just felt really really good!
I managed to picked up an A1 condition second hand Basic off the forum here and can heartily recommend them
I sold my stingrays and haven't looked back. They dont have the look I would have gone for but have given me the best sound I've ever had. Great Basses
good luck with the sale (i'd go for the natural myself!)

PPS having a history of selling and changing my gear regularly, when I told my band mates that i'd like to get a sandberg basic ken taylor I was told in no uncertain terms that id have to save up for it and wasnt allowed to sell my current basic to fund it! They were so impressed by the sound i had and how well it complimented the band

[quote name='thebuckets' timestamp='1335127263' post='1626192']
PPS having a history of selling and changing my gear regularly, when I told my band mates that i'd like to get a sandberg basic ken taylor I was told in no uncertain terms that id have to save up for it and wasnt allowed to sell my current basic to fund it! They were so impressed by the sound i had and how well it complimented the band
[/quote]

Don't tell me that! I'm finding it hard enough letting them go anyway! :D

I'm keeping the custom build under wraps for now........ watch this space!

you're like the little devil on my shoulder :) I havent got to know my pbass because of my knackered finger but she'll take some beating mate. Going to pmt tomorrow to hopefully try some sandbergs but wouldn't have the dosh for a couple of weeks and i cant see it being here then.

Roll up, roll up! Loads of interest but no offers so far. Come on people, don't be shy! I'll do a deal if you want to buy both from me, and if anyone buys one of them tonight I'll throw in a set of D'addario EXP coated strings .045 - .105!!!

Went to PMT today great staff there. Really great shop. Anyway I tried the sandberg basic and they are really nice. Very easy to play and great tone. Lots of tones available and natural sounding. Punch too. The setup was perfect and it was pretty effortless to play. £1100 too. Good luck with the sale whoever gets these will be very happy I'm sure.