Why become a member? ×

Birmingham Music Exchange

neptunehealer

It's been Sound Control for about 5 years now - check them out here: [url="http://www.soundcontrol.co.uk"]http://www.soundcontrol.co.uk[/url]. They mainly stock: Fender / Warwick / Spector / Yamaha / Schecter / Musicman

By the way - there is also PMT in Birmingham which in my opinion is a better place to shop: [url="http://www.pmtonline.co.uk"]http://www.pmtonline.co.uk[/url]. They mainly stock: Fender / Musicman / Sandberg / Yamaha / Ibanez / Peavey.

As Machines said, plus there's [url="http://www.fairdealmusic.com/"]Fairdeal[/url] in the city centre and if you're considering second-hand, there's the various Crack Converters (the Kings Heath one is supposed to have a pretty good range of stock) plus Stirchley Musical Exchange in, er, Stirchley. There are another three or four but none have much of a selection of basses.

I was in SC Brum at Easter.

f***ing terrible selection of basses, had a small number of fenders (no '08 models), a couple of Laklands, and a spector or two.

No warwicks, yams, EBMM etc.

Due to how emtpy it was, either they're closing or awaiting more stock.

Fairdeal were much better, sadly couldn't make it to PMT on foot as I had a train to catch.

[quote name='barneythedog' post='177325' date='Apr 15 2008, 08:26 PM']Anyone remember Musical Exchanges when it was just off Broad Street?

Showing my age now. :)[/quote]

I dont know about broad street, but a friend and i used to drive up from portsmouth, about 200 odd miles each way just to wander around Musical Exchanges. It used to have a great atmosphere and some good stuff. I used to like the little tunnels each was filled with different manufacturers amps. There was also some really interesting old stuff, not just 'vintage' but just old HH, carlsboro, old fender and ampeg.

I went in not long after it became sound control but it was just like any other big box store.

[quote name='barneythedog' post='177325' date='Apr 15 2008, 08:26 PM']Anyone remember Musical Exchanges when it was just off Broad Street?

Showing my age now. :)[/quote]
Oh yes. Little Gary (who now runs PMT) showed me the pictures after the fire (about which there was a certain amount of speculation). I used to wander up there fairly regularly as a schoolboy.

Bought my Precision from Musical Exchanges some years after the move to Snow Hill, and my Thumb from there some time later, and my 5-string fretless Maison, and (quite recently) a 5-string Squier P Special.

[quote name='neptunehealer' post='177746' date='Apr 16 2008, 12:01 PM']Interesting as my guitarist recently purchased a Gibson guitar from PMT for £1600 and they charged him £30 for the straplocks aswell.
He also said the bass section wasn't impressive.[/quote]
you did say he was a guitarist and although the selection is not fantastic it is far better than sound control or fairdeal in my opinion

[quote name='neptunehealer' post='177746' date='Apr 16 2008, 12:01 PM']Interesting as my guitarist recently purchased a Gibson guitar from PMT for £1600 and they charged him £30 for the straplocks aswell.
He also said the bass section wasn't impressive.[/quote]

Did he ask them to throw in the straplocks? Whenever I've been to PMT they've been more than happy to do a deal.

Just some thoughts on PMT:

I was sort of warned off PMT by someone, when looking for an electric drum kit for my lad. As it happened the other shops (in Northampton) did not have the model he was after so we ended up visiting PMT anyway.

I've got to say that the service we got from them was brilliant, we were there for a copule of hours while my lad tried out many kits, and the staff were very helpful and obviously real enthusiasts. After a couple of hours the bloke we were dealing with said that his boss had asked him 'why he hadn't closed the sale yet', but not to worry about his boss, he understood that £600 is a lot of money and that we couldn't make a snap decision while stood in the shop (he obviously had more idea of how to sell that his boss did!)

The deal that they came up with matched pretty well anything off the net, so later that week we phoned the order in and it was delivered in a few days. However, we didn't have any headphones (it had never been mentioned as part of any deal - so that isn't a complaint) so I rang up to see try my luck in getting a deal on some headphones. They said they'd try to find something and a few days later a pretty decent set of headphones (it said £29.95 on the price tag) appeared in the post totally free of charge. I.e. they'd thrown in some headphones after the original sale had already been completed!

I've got to say that I was pretty inpressed all round, and it meant that I'd bought from a real shop (albeit a chain) rather from the net, so I would certainly reccomend PMT (The Northampton one at least).

Oh dear I seem to have gone on a bit....

I lived in Brum from 79 to 86, so I remember Musical Exchanges when in Broad Street, but they had moved to Snow Hill by the time I left Brum - A real Aladin's cave in those days.

Clive.