Why become a member? ×

In Ear Monitors - what to do?

Evening all,

I recently bought a set of T15 monitors from ACS and fitted them into my existing moulded E15 ear plugs to make a set of fully fitted in ear monitors. I was at rehearsal the other night and as I felt that that bass was a little lacking I decided to isolate my signal just to check what it sounded like - bad move!! The sound in my ears was really tinny and starting to distort when I dug in a little. Out of interest I decided to A/B against the supplied ear phones (not moulded to fit my ears) from Audio Technica.

To my surprise, the Audio Technica ones sounded infinitely better, loads more bass and no sign of distorting or cracking up. Given that the T15's cost me £149 I was a little disappointed by this! The next day I called ACS and explained my problem and they were horrified and said that they never get calls like this. We concurred that they must be faulty and to send them back for them to check.

Yesterday they contacted me and advised that they have tested them thoroughly and there is nothing wrong with them. I was really hoping that they were just a duff pair and new ones would be sent out and problem solved. Has anyone else tried this route with monitors and if so what did you think/find? Wrongly I assumed that expensive monitors in a fully fitted plug would sound great and have more bass then I would ever need. Never dreamed that the stock headphones would sound so much better!

Next problem is what to do now - ACS have been great and offered me a full refund or a great deal on their T2 which is a custom fit dual driver monitor which again I have been promised has stacks of low end for bass players. Again anyone tried these?

So I can take these or look at monitors by Ultimate Ears, JH Audio or Minerva (which seem really well priced). I think that most of these are acrylic rather than silicone so not sure how comfortable they will be. Any advice or suggestions would be gratefully recieved.

The wife says that I should take the money and stick with the cheapy ones from Audio Technica - she would!!!

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' timestamp='1334339613' post='1614940']
The wife says that I should take the money and stick with the cheapy ones from Audio Technica - she would!!!
[/quote]

Sorry I can't offer any constructive advice, but that is exactly the kind of attitude that my misses has with all my gear spending, it's never what I want to hear!

Yep to be fair they have been great - and that is one reason why I would like to stick with them. Very rare to get that kind of service and understanding these days.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1334364280' post='1615364']
I don't have anything constructive to add, I just wanted to say how impressed I am to read about ACS's customer service there :D
[/quote]

The T15 seems to be an entry level piece and performs accordingly.. You now have a reference for what is what, so I would be looking at the upgrade if it is that good a deal
There seems quite a jump in price the T15 price to the other dual/multiple earpieces and that stands to reason if they use dual or triple driver technology.
You wouldn't expect 1 speaker to do it all in a bass cab would you..?? the bias would be high or low but wouldn't cover both that well...so assume the same sort of thinking here.

However, if you found the AT ear pieces better then that is a bit galling, but then they aren't moulded either..and am not sure that they could be.

Get a demo from the multi driver options would be my thinking...

Yep a demo seem like a plan. But what I don't understand is how the AT earphones can sound so much better given that they also only have 1 driver in them and are not moulded? Does not make any sense.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1334388292' post='1615435']
The T15 seems to be an entry level piece and performs accordingly.. You now have a reference for what is what, so I would be looking at the upgrade if it is that good a deal
There seems quite a jump in price the T15 price to the other dual/multiple earpieces and that stands to reason if they use dual or triple driver technology.
You wouldn't expect 1 speaker to do it all in a bass cab would you..?? the bias would be high or low but wouldn't cover both that well...so assume the same sort of thinking here.

However, if you found the AT ear pieces better then that is a bit galling, but then they aren't moulded either..and am not sure that they could be.

Get a demo from the multi driver options would be my thinking...
[/quote]

Blimey! Had never heard of these before you mentioned them - amazing prices.

They are acrylic thought which would make me a little wary and there would also be VAT and import duty to pay too but certainly a good price.

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1334391448' post='1615472']
I'm going to go for Alien Ears when i get mine. I worked it out at about £300/£320 altogether for a set of Triple Driver custom moulds, not sure what it'l be now but i can't imagine it'l be much more.

Liam
[/quote]

[sub]I had exactly the problem as you withT15s bought to go with my existing E15 moulded plugs. Absolutly no bass response and very quiet too, usless for IEM. They were used for one gig and then put away in a drawer somewhere. I never thought of contacting ACS though.[/sub]

[sub]I now use some Shure SE215s headphones (without my moulded plugs) which do a great job at isolating loud drums/guitars and also have great bass response. I use a Shure IEM and mix a feed from the [sub][size="2"]my amp [/size][/sub]along with a feed from the PA for vocals and it works a treat. Its just a shame I didn't discover ear plugs or IEMs years ago... before I got tinitus !![/sub]

Glad that I am not the only one struggling with T15's then!! They do sound terrible, probably ok for listening to an ipod but useless for IEM.

Do you think that their dual driver T2 would be much better? Costs a lot more so in theory should but you never know.

Snap with the tinnitus!!

How do you get the feed from your amp into the IEM receiver?

[quote name='darwin' timestamp='1334395635' post='1615538']
[sub]I had exactly the problem as you withT15s bought to go with my existing E15 moulded plugs. Absolutly no bass response and very quiet too, usless for IEM. They were used for one gig and then put away in a drawer somewhere. I never thought of contacting ACS though.[/sub]

[sub]I now use some Shure SE215s headphones (without my moulded plugs) which do a great job at isolating loud drums/guitars and also have great bass response. I use a Shure IEM and mix a feed from the [sub][size=2]my amp [/size][/sub]along with a feed from the PA for vocals and it works a treat. Its just a shame I didn't discover ear plugs or IEMs years ago... before I got tinitus !![/sub]
[/quote]

I use the line-out (via the jack socket) rather then XLR Di. I'm sure you could use the XLR though

Edit - just noticed you have a Mark Bass LM... I used to use the 'Tuner Out' socket on my LMII to feed the IEM before I moved to the TC RH450.

Edited by darwin

• 2 months later...

Hey man, no probs.

Well the T2's were not great, I had a problem getting a decent seal with them and so the bass was a little lacking. I also found that dual drivers didn't produce anywhere near enough bass for me. In truth the standard buds that came with the IEM system had better bass so I used them more.

Anyway I went back to ACS and they looked at the fit and decided to do new impressions and also offer me a free upgrade to the T1 triple driver monitors free of charge as that is what the MD felt that all bass players should be using as they produce the best bottom end. Again I can't fault their customer service - simply outstanding.

They are due to arrive tomorrow so I let you know what they sound like again!!!

So the T1's turned up yesterday and I have only had time to listen to them plugged into my Mac but instant reaction is that they are so much better than the T2's. Lots more bass and this fit seems so much better this time which means I am probably getting a much tighter seal too which will make a big difference.

I would agree that if you want a really fat bottom end sound in your ears then you have to go for a triple driver.

Hats off to ACS, amazing customer service and that is from their MD too, if you want in ear monitors then go to these guys as they will keep going until you are 100% happy, which is rare these days.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know why there is such a big difference between 2 and 3 drivers in IEM's but there really is. If you play bass and want lots of bottom end then you have to go the 3 driver route.

I think that Alien Ears are acrylic - are they comfortable to wear?

Yep ACS are amazing - one of the best companies that I have ever dealt with.

[quote name='baseline9' timestamp='1343649784' post='1753040']
Yeah triple drivers are the way to go on Bass and Drums. I got some AE3's from Alien ears and they are simply amazing, I wrote about them on here a few weeks ago and will do write up on performance soon.
Sounds like ACS are a good company as well.
[/quote]