Why become a member? ×

Ibanez SR 1200 VNF

razze06

I tried one of these last week while away for work in Nancy, France. I am extremely impressed with every aspect of it, from the quality and shape of the neck to the lightness and comfort of the body. The pickups (nordstrands i believe) and active eq can produce a continuous variations of great modern tones. Couldn't stop playing it, literally. The neck is so fast it's hard to play conservatively and with restraint. Lovely!

If I didn't have to fly back with hand luggage only I would have really been considering walking away with it there and then.

As i'm hoping to be in the market for a modern active bass soon, this has gone straight to the top of the list, close to a lakland skyline and warwick corvette!

I had a play with one of these early last year and really had to force myself to put it down as it wasn't what I went shopping for.
Superbly built and everything laid out neatly - particularly liked the angled jack socket arrangement that they used to strike a balance between front and side mounted.

And that neck... :gas:

I tried the ibby and the lakland skyline one after the other. I think both use Nordstrands, probably different models. All I can comment is that they sound very modern and well defined and beg you to play funk. Perhaps not the warm embrace of old school low-end, and the Ibby has a definitely more aggressive eq and a fantastic neck. Still undecided and too poor to afford either :)

Try this link and listen to the video on the page. Try to copy the link in one line and paste into the address bar. If that doesn't work then go to Ibanez - bass - SR Series - Sr1200 Premium.

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eb_page12.php?area_id=3&data_id=85&color=CL01&year=2012&cat_id=2&series_id=17

I had and listen. That is one nice sound.

Balcro.

[quote name='Balcro' timestamp='1334164662' post='1611922']
Try this link and listen to the video on the page. Try to copy the link in one line and paste into the address bar. If that doesn't work then go to Ibanez - bass - SR Series - Sr1200 Premium.

[url="http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eb_page12.php?area_id=3&data_id=85&color=CL01&year=2012&cat_id=2&series_id=17"]http://www.ibanez.co...=2&series_id=17[/url]

I had and listen. That is one nice sound.

Balcro.
[/quote]

Yep, that's a sound worth saving up for :)

I had a good long play of one in PMT recently (in fact, I've been back since and played it again, just to check), and I was pretty disappointed by it [i]for the money[/i]. It's as ergonomically ideal as the rest of the SRs (yep, that angled jack is a great idea), and that neck profile and feel is still one of the best I've ever played, but it's just not that much more than the SR500 I used to have, certainly not twice the instrument. The woods are nice, but I didn't think they were as nice in the flesh as they looked in the pics, and the build quality isn't noticably better than the cheaper SRs. The Nordys are very nice, but again, I didn't think they brought all that much more to the table than the Barts on the £500 SR500. I don't like gold hardware much, so that doesn't get any credit from me.

Without knowing how much it was, I'd have said it was it was definitely an upgrade on the SR500, but maybe £200 more, not twice the price.

What a miserable bugger I am. Actually, my reaction was really one of disappointment, as I really, really wanted to love these, and I was even considering buying one new. I'd have one secondhand (for about the same price as a new SR), but I wouldn't part with almost a grand for one.

• 1 year later...

I just ordered the new SR1605 (Poplar Burl Top)! After spending DAYS/weeks playing the SR1200 we had in the shop and needing a bass with the low B for increasing reading gigs and a modern EQ for a versatile tonal range, I decided to go for the new premium SR1605. Same nordstrand pickups as the SR1200 but nicer top wood (IMO).

http://www.guitarvillage.co.uk/product/13910/Ibanez-SR1605NTF-5-String-Premium-New-Natural-Flat-Inc-Case.aspx

Next shipment isn't until October though, so the wait is on! Im very excited :)

My 1205 has been my main gigging bass for over a year now....the whole package just feels so right to me.

Its a dream to use and I consider it to be an absolute bargain at that price point. The only thing it lacks is the big brand (F word etc) placebo upon the headstock.

Funnily enough I use a SR605 as my gigging back up...and it is also fantastic value for money - but not quite in the same league.

• 4 months later...