Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

I like X, you like Y........... Why?

apa

Why do we like what we like and hate what we dont?

Is it a collective gene that bonds all Heavy Metal fans?
But theres often no other bond between them.

Is it because its what we grew up with?
But I like the Who who were at least 10 years before my time at their peak.

Why is there such a fine line? Green day yes, Nervana No.
To the initiated they are poles apart but to the uninitiated it all sounds the same.

The current top ten has plenty of beat. Is it that?
Country and Western has plenty of beat.

If I grew up today would I like this stuff on Radio 1?
If I grew up in the 50's would I like the stuff on the Home Service?

Why dont we grow with the music?
Most people are 'stuck' in thier formative years or before.

I hated Duran Duran back in the day.
I really appreciate the musicianship and they are damn fine tunes.

I like Led Zepplin. Fantastic Blues.
I hate muddy Waters. Boring old Blues.

I just like a nice tune.
Ah this one brings back some many memories.

Is it moulded into you as you develope?
I used to like Thrash. Im more a Miles Davis guy these days.

Lots of contradictions to offset the stock answers there.

Personally I think its a mix of cultural influences and your own personal makeup.

A

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1333899463' post='1607931']
Personally I think its a mix of cultural influences and your own personal makeup.
[/quote]

That's a bingo. Though often I find it's a case of just 'getting' something - used to hate indie-mope-rock, but now that I'm in a band that does just that I suddenly see the appeal.

[quote name='Jack Cahalane' timestamp='1333901187' post='1607962']
I know I like what I do music wise because it was always playing when I was little, but my twin brother doesn't like any of the same music as me so I can only speak for myself.
[/quote]

Thats a very interesting point from a very good case. You may be similar in many ways however your still both individuals so the personal makeup figures. Im also assuming you both had different friends etc?

[quote name='Mylkinut' timestamp='1333903192' post='1607999']
That's a bingo. Though often I find it's a case of just 'getting' something - used to hate indie-mope-rock, but now that I'm in a band that does just that I suddenly see the appeal.
[/quote]

Which you could also call Education. Hmmmm Id forgotten about that aspect. Actually I think thats the kernal of all this. Its what you understand! THATS why you like something. From 'I like a bit of a tune' up to the deepest Jazz progression. During your formative years your most suceptable to influences and therefore your understanding so like whats most out there.

Ah well Im glad we've cleared that one up :)

Thanks guys :D

A

[quote name='Mylkinut' timestamp='1333905099' post='1608040']
You mean no 12-page debate?
[/quote]

I know. Bit disappointing isnt it. :( Well its your fault anyway for coming up the the answer to the big eternal question after the 3rd post!!

You could have saved it till the 3rd page ;)

A

I like a variety of stuff. Basicaly I'm a "Rocker". But I'd be equally as happy slipping on a suit and Trilby and sitting in a dance hall listening to Glen Miller or the Rat Pack. Or laying back and chilling out to Tom Paxton or Donovan. Or air drumming (I'm sad to admit) to a classic Motown track. I like some thrash, some NWOBHM, some Ska, some blues, a little Jazz, some newer stuff like Foo Fighters, Funeral for a Friend, The Gaslight Anthem, Biffy Clyro... I even like the odd Erasure track and a bit of Rap.

It's always been a problem for me with being in bands - I like a lot of stuff, but not enough to commit to it. I can knock out Iron Maiden Basslines without breaking a sweat - but I dont want to do that kind of band. Same applies to Blues and a lot of other Genres. Still don't know after 20 years of playing if I have musicaly "found" myself or if I ever will. There's a lot of things I like playing but I can't write similair stuff. Finding muso's the same is a pain - someone always secretly wants to go this way or that. This situation has left me with a dep guitarist and the task of finding a replacement for him because he wants to play heavier stuff. I wish I could just say "yeh I want to be like Genre X or Band Y".

Damn me and my varied musical background.

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1333904369' post='1608021']

Thats a very interesting point from a very good case. You may be similar in many ways however your still both individuals so the personal makeup figures. Im also assuming you both had different friends etc?

[/quote]

Nope, we've always had pretty much the same friends. I think he's a lot more influenced by our older brother than I am though.

[quote name='Jack Cahalane' timestamp='1333910792' post='1608154']
Nope, we've always had pretty much the same friends. I think he's a lot more influenced by our older brother than I am though.
[/quote]

For 'influenced' read 'educated'.
Aha my theory is still holding up :D

A

[quote name='Nibody' timestamp='1333907596' post='1608091']
I like a variety of stuff. Basicaly I'm a "Rocker". But I'd be equally as happy slipping on a suit and Trilby and sitting in a dance hall listening to Glen Miller or the Rat Pack. Or laying back and chilling out to Tom Paxton or Donovan. Or air drumming (I'm sad to admit) to a classic Motown track. I like some thrash, some NWOBHM, some Ska, some blues, a little Jazz, some newer stuff like Foo Fighters, Funeral for a Friend, The Gaslight Anthem, Biffy Clyro... I even like the odd Erasure track and a bit of Rap.

It's always been a problem for me with being in bands - I like a lot of stuff, but not enough to commit to it. I can knock out Iron Maiden Basslines without breaking a sweat - but I dont want to do that kind of band. Same applies to Blues and a lot of other Genres. Still don't know after 20 years of playing if I have musicaly "found" myself or if I ever will. There's a lot of things I like playing but I can't write similair stuff. Finding muso's the same is a pain - someone always secretly wants to go this way or that. This situation has left me with a dep guitarist and the task of finding a replacement for him because he wants to play heavier stuff. I wish I could just say "yeh I want to be like Genre X or Band Y".

Damn me and my varied musical background.
[/quote]

Ah now this is because youve been or have educated yourself in a variety of musical styles like alot of us on here. Since your tastes have changed then you still want to listen to some of them on a casual basis but on the more 'serious' level of playing you want a different challenge.

Damn Im good. Its like the psychiatrists chair :D

A

Edited by apa

[quote name='apa' timestamp='1333911219' post='1608168']
Ah now this is because youve been or have educated yourself in a variety of musical styles like alot of us on here. Since your tastes have changed then you still want to listen to some of them on a casual basis but on the more 'serious' level of playing you want a different challenge.

Damn Im good. Its like the psychiatrists chair :D

A
[/quote]

[quote name='lurksalot' timestamp='1333924000' post='1608417']
how does 'educated' fit for those who are just contradictory , I know a few people who would like X but because ( insert name, relative, enemy etc here ) like X ,they will declare a preference for Y . :unsure:
[/quote]

I would agree with that. There is an element of 'Im going to like this because you dont'. But does that really cound as liking? If your doing it for other reasons. Its difficult to proove and perhaps we should dismiss that reason as a valid one? The same goes for 'I like it because you do'.

A

[quote name='Jacqueslemac' timestamp='1333954079' post='1608574']
I'd like to add "memories". I didn't like Abba at all when their stuff was in the charts. When I hear it now, I quite like it, mainly because I remember what I was doing when it was on the radio first time round.
[/quote]

Yep Im the same with Duran Duran and to a lesser degree Abba. I came back to both with fresh ears and so heard them in a different and un biased way. It wasnt cool to like either when they were new in my day. Now I can like them. As for your point of memories that is a big factor however is it just the relevant tracks that you have a memory for or would the same thing happen with an obscure album track youve never heard before?

A