Why become a member? ×

Snarky Puppy?

Ben Jamin

Anyone else heard of these guys? My friend just put me on to them and I'm pretty impressed! Some cool synth bass in this one, but the guy's a pretty good electric bassist too :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67PMG2nVs4k

And for those who had no idea what this thread is about but were expecting something to do with weird puppies, here you go:

[quote name='JakeBrownBass' timestamp='1333400736' post='1601304']
Love them, an absolutely great set of musicians, the new album came out last week and i'm seeing them on Friday, masterclass & show. Cant bloody wait.

One of the new ones, amazing!
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZBlRkF0-to[/media]
[/quote]

That's the one my friend sent me! Awesome, sounds like you're in for an ace gig! Looks like I have some albums to buy :D

[quote name='lowregisterhead' timestamp='1333405189' post='1601389']
Good grief. The first piece of new music that's put a smile on my face in quite a while. I'm downloading their album from their website as I type this. £6.50 well spent... :D

[/quote]

Get both, and the DVDs. Well worth the money!!

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1333453971' post='1601829']
They are fabulous, and there are some nice little things going on here and there, but I'm sorry, it bores me rigid.
[/quote]

Have a listen to the new album if you get chance siddx, you can hear it on their band camp for free. There's a lot more exciting things going on in it, of course IMO.

[quote name='JakeBrownBass' timestamp='1333454099' post='1601833']
Have a listen to the new album if you get chance siddx, you can hear it on their band camp for free. There's a lot more exciting things going on in it, of course IMO.
[/quote]

Thanks mate, I have checked out quite a few vids in the recent past on the other SP thread, but I'm afraid it does nothing for me, it seems devoid of romance, edgy as a billiard ball, etc.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1333455840' post='1601894']
Thanks mate, I have checked out quite a few vids in the recent past on the other SP thread, but I'm afraid it does nothing for me, it seems devoid of romance, edgy as a billiard ball, etc.
[/quote]

I think I know what you mean, it's just a case of they're having fun playing interesting/difficult music instead of trying to convey anything. It's very impressive though and I'd definitely go to a gig... although I'd probably feel like a technically rubbish musician afterwards :P

[quote name='Ben Jamin' timestamp='1333468384' post='1602168']
I think I know what you mean, it's just a case of they're having fun playing interesting/difficult music instead of trying to convey anything. It's very impressive though and I'd definitely go to a gig... although I'd probably feel like a technically rubbish musician afterwards :P
[/quote]

That's all totally cool mate, just that none of what you have written bears much relation to music, that's all.

[quote name='Ben Jamin' timestamp='1333468384' post='1602168']
[/quote]

Without conveying anything?

Fair enough theres no words telling a story but i'm pretty sure each guys solo is there to say something....

[quote name='JakeBrownBass' timestamp='1333480238' post='1602412']
Without conveying anything?

Fair enough theres no words telling a story but i'm pretty sure each guys solo is there to say something....
[/quote]

Sorry that was pretty unfair of me to say... I just meant the music itself, to me, doesn't seem to be arranged specifically to draw out an emotional response per se, more the guys just enjoy playing it and 'jamming' because it's fun and engaging from a technical point of view and in that respect darn awesome.
Of course they can put their feelings into their parts and solos, but in general I didn't feel particularly moved emotionally by the music, just really really really impressed and all the happier for seeing how much fun they're having (which is what I guessed silddx meant with the 'devoid of romance' thing)

That's just what I thought initially anyway - I'll be getting their album(s) so I'll probably prove myself wrong after a good listen to some more tracks :P

Edited by Ben Jamin

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1333471348' post='1602243']
That's all totally cool mate, just that none of what you have written bears much relation to music, that's all.
[/quote]

Sorry I guess I mis-understood what you were saying - I'm not having an particularly intelligent day today, coursework drains my brain :rolleyes:

[quote name='Ben Jamin' timestamp='1333485280' post='1602486']

That's just what I thought initially anyway - I'll be getting their album(s) so I'll probably prove myself wrong after a good listen to some more tracks :P
[/quote]

First off everyone who left last night had the same 2 feelings in common.

1. That was the best gig ever

2. I'm giving up on music

It was amazing and Ben Jamin i strongly urge you try and see them live. There is so much passion and heart in everything they play and having learnt about their writing process during the masterclasses, its not difficult for the sake of being difficult. For example i too, thought that they're songs were written from jams. But they said that they wrote songs individually and write all the parts out for the band to play in rehearsals.

Also a band called the fix must be checked!!! poor Bill Lawrence couldn't get his keys working so snarky puppy jammed through the songs and you would never had known if they hadn't had said!

If you like groove, this is THE band