Why become a member? ×

guys need help having trouble with some guy ,how i should proceed?

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1333497923' post='1602676']
Maybe I am missing something but ...

How could you not know that the bass was undelivered for nearly two months?

Were you not tracking it for the delivery signature?

Were you not communicating with the buyer to see that it had arrived safe and sound?

Were you not communicating with the shipper to find out what had happened when it hadn't arrived?

Did you not realise that when the shipper took the package from you after you contracted with them to deliver on your behalf that, as the supplier of the item, you still held responsibility for it being delivered?
[/quote]

Which was kinda my point in my first post Dave. As I said, this is why eBay protect the buyer, there are a lot of ttake the money and run sellers out there :rolleyes:

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1333526101' post='1602757']
Which was kinda my point in my first post Dave. As I said, this is why eBay protect the buyer, there are a lot of ttake the money and run sellers out there :rolleyes:
[/quote]
I know Chris, but I thought it was important enough to be worth repeating.

Interesting discussion, as I'm sitting here with an ebay parcel all sealed up and addressed to .... Italy. I've sent basses and other things there without problems. So is my luck about to run out?

Where I have just got caught out with the larger parcel sitting beside it, is I sent the buyer an invoice for standard UK P&P, then when I came to book the courier found his AB postcode is classed as Highlands and Islands. All but 2 of the courier options disappear and the ex VAT price goes up from £4.50 to £12. No way to recover that now I guess, except to shave a bit off the cost by sending it parcel post.

So that's Scotland added to my block list :rolleyes:

Edited by spinynorman

[quote name='spinynorman' timestamp='1333548593' post='1603350']
Interesting discussion, as I'm sitting here with an ebay parcel all sealed up and addressed to .... Italy. I've sent basses and other things there without problems. So is my luck about to run out?

Where I have just got caught out with the larger parcel sitting beside it, is I sent the buyer an invoice for standard UK P&P, then when I came to book the courier found his AB postcode is classed as Highlands and Islands. All but 2 of the courier options disappear and the ex VAT price goes up from £4.50 to £12. No way to recover that now I guess, except to shave a bit off the cost by sending it parcel post.

So that's Scotland added to my block list :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Contest it man. AB is where I am - Aberdeen. We most definitly are not Highlands and Islands.

[quote name='spinynorman' timestamp='1333548593' post='1603350']
[/quote]

I think in general Italy is not a major problem but the customs delays can cause a lot of hassle for the buyer and seller.

Always make sure the Italian buyer is aware that there may be delays of some weeks on occasion.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1333549080' post='1603361']
Contest it man. AB is where I am - Aberdeen. We most definitly are not Highlands and Islands.
[/quote]

It's way north of you though, Moray, on the coast. From map on the H&I website, it is, even if only just.

I can't see how they justify the extra cost though. If postman pat can get his van along the A96, you'd think UPS could.

Edited by spinynorman

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1333497923' post='1602676']
Maybe I am missing something but ...

How could you not know that the bass was undelivered for nearly two months?

Were you not tracking it for the delivery signature?

Were you not communicating with the buyer to see that it had arrived safe and sound?

Were you not communicating with the shipper to find out what had happened when it hadn't arrived?

Did you not realise that when the shipper took the package from you after you contracted with them to deliver on your behalf that, as the supplier of the item, you still held responsibility for it being delivered?
[/quote]

On reflection, I think this is a bit harsh. Leaving tracking aside for a moment, the only way I would know if an untracked item arrived would be if the buyer leaves feedback, or contacts me directly. If I get no contact, I assume everything is ok, and pretty much everyone I deal with on eBay does the same. If it's a business shipping lots of stuff, that's the only way it can operate. I can't remember the last time anyone contacted me to ask if an item arrived if I haven't left feedback. I never get Amazon asking if my stuff arrived.

Add in tracking, and, yes, it's easier for the seller to check, but usually the buyer is making contact asking where the parcel is long before the shipper would accept it's lost. So, while I agree it's a good idea to check, and even a bit dumb not to, I don't think it's the flogging offense that's being implied.

Edited by spinynorman

[quote name='spinynorman' timestamp='1333577599' post='1603938']
On reflection, I think this is a bit harsh. Leaving tracking aside for a moment, the only way I would know if an untracked item arrived would be if the buyer leaves feedback, or contacts me directly. If I get no contact, I assume everything is ok, and pretty much everyone I deal with on eBay does the same. If it's a business shipping lots of stuff, that's the only way it can operate. I can't remember the last time anyone contacted me to ask if an item arrived if I haven't left feedback. I never get Amazon asking if my stuff arrived.

Add in tracking, and, yes, it's easier for the seller to check, but usually the buyer is making contact asking where the parcel is long before the shipper would accept it's lost. So, while I agree it's a good idea to check, and even a bit dumb not to, I don't think it's the flogging offense that's being implied.
[/quote]
Maybe harsh but it's what I would do with a private sale - clearly with a large scale business like Amazon it would be unrealistic but that's not what we are talking about here. I was assuming tracking and I would want to know that the item had arrived safe and sound.

However, I'm not in favour of flogging in this or in any other cases - so I don't know where you got that from.

[quote name='spinynorman' timestamp='1333551087' post='1603420']
It's way north of you though, Moray, on the coast. From map on the H&I website, it is, even if only just.

I can't see how they justify the extra cost though. If postman pat can get his van along the A96, you'd think UPS could.
[/quote]
That sucks.
It would indeed seem that [url="http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/93/Moray_in_Scotland.svg"]Moray[/url] (which by rights should be under the Inverness postcode) bizarrely sits bang on the point where 3 [url="http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fe/British_postcode_areas_map.svg"]postcode zones[/url] converge, one of which is our more civilised AB zone. :D Still given their profession the courier should be going by postcode and AB means Aberdeenshire and not the Highlands.

[quote name='spinynorman' timestamp='1333577599' post='1603938']
So, while I agree it's a good idea to check, and even a bit dumb not to, I don't think it's the flogging offense that's being implied.
[/quote]

The O/P suggested that the buyer was the problem which isn't really the case. Flog him :D

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1333580961' post='1603981']
That sucks.
It would indeed seem that [url="http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/93/Moray_in_Scotland.svg"]Moray[/url] (which by rights should be under the Inverness postcode) bizarrely sits bang on the point where 3 [url="http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/fe/British_postcode_areas_map.svg"]postcode zones[/url] converge, one of which is our more civilised AB zone. :D Still given their profession the courier should be going by postcode and AB means Aberdeenshire and not the Highlands.
[/quote]

Moray is definitely not Highlands. And even if it was it is still UK mainland. To be told you are not in the UK mainland is ridiculous. As I stay in Moray and have an AB postcode I have got well fed up with couriers thinking we live in Greenland. FEDEX delivered to me this week no problem so it's only some couriers who have decided that we are too far away. A company in Newcastle decided that we were too far away yet admitted that Cornwall wasn't. The guy just didn't realise that Moray is closer to him than Cornwall. No wonder Alex Salmond is winning his independence argument!

[quote name='spinynorman' timestamp='1333551087' post='1603420']

[/quote]

As I understand it, postman pat is legally obliged to provide a 'universal service', I.e. a fixed cost regardless of destination within the UK.

Couriers are not so restricted so can charge what they like. Possibly one of the reasons RM is having so many problems; private companies can cream off the high density, profitable jobs and ignore, or charge through the nose, for the out-in-the-sticks jobs. Hardly a level playing field is it?

[quote name='Hutton' timestamp='1333615699' post='1604159']
Moray is definitely not Highlands. And even if it was it is still UK mainland. To be told you are not in the UK mainland is ridiculous. As I stay in Moray and have an AB postcode I have got well fed up with couriers thinking we live in Greenland. FEDEX delivered to me this week no problem so it's only some couriers who have decided that we are too far away. A company in Newcastle decided that we were too far away yet admitted that Cornwall wasn't. The guy just didn't realise that Moray is closer to him than Cornwall. No wonder Alex Salmond is winning his independence argument!
[/quote]

Haha I was thinking of you when I wrote that Hutt's. :D
Yep there's a certain national courier with their most northerly depot in Dundee who has problems even delivering privately to Aberdeen city... they still somehow manage to service businesses daily though. <_<
I think when it comes to rural destinations the reason is less to do with distance but more to do with volume... and a poor decision made by someone who's never been north of Watford who thinks (with the exception of G/gow and E/burgh) that Scotland is all men in kilts and the cutting of the peat... of course, it is like that in the Highlands. :D

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1333618307' post='1604222']
Last I heard, Scottish independence is more popular in England than it is in Scotland . . . .
[/quote]
Now the oli's running out you've got no further use for us... until they discover that peat is the fuel of the future. :D

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1333626756' post='1604453']
Now the oli's running out you've got no further use for us... until they discover that peat is the fuel of the future. :D
[/quote]

I'm having my car converted to run on [url="http://whiski.hmet.net/index.php/Tesco_Value_Scotch_Whisky"]Tesco Value Scotch Whisky[/url].

Viewing this from the buyers perspective I can see why he wants a refund. I'd personally get a bass off well before 8 days had passed too.

I've dealt with buyers and sellers all over Europe and generally I'd say that it's on a par or better than dealing with fellow countrymen (I include the Scots here - in the best possible way :) )

I'd also keep the funds to one side until the buyer has said he's completely satisfied.

Peter

Edited by GreeneKing