Why become a member? ×

Transporting gear.... are there cheap inovative methods?

phatkat

[quote name='subaudio' timestamp='1333378400' post='1600816']
How about [url="https://www.streetcar.co.uk/sc_welcome.aspx"]Zipcar [/url]or the like?
[/quote]

I've looked at this for London use.

Weighed against car ownership (£1000 pa for me before fuel and before it goes wrong... again) it does seem to make some sense... but only for intensive trips.

With gigs, there’s a three-to-five hour hole in the middle where the car just sits there with the meter running, as it were.

If anyone's done proper sums on car share deals, I'd be interested to hear their conclusions...

After a few years of using cars in an 8 piece band, we bit the bullet and started using vans - hiring at first (best to build up a
relationship with local independent company for ongoing good rates IMO) and then leasing/buying. Fewer vehicles per gig,
greener etc and saves ruining your car with flight cases and drunk drummers etc. Also gave me my hallway back - not having
PA under the stairs -once we'd acquired our own Transit.
Probably stating the obvious, but cramming lots of gear/musos into your small hatchback is really not very safe (as in post#24),
may affect your insurance liability in the case of an accident , and is going to attract the local constabulary.................

[quote name='dmccombe7' timestamp='1333551774' post='1603435']
Hire a van and take cost from the gig money before allocating remainder to band members.
Set up an account whereby 10-25% of all gig money gets saved for future van hires etc

Van hire isn't as expensive as you might think depending on your age for insurance purposes.
If you are nearer the younger side of the BC gang then ask someone's dad to hire and drive van for a small fee of course.

Check local press - some guys will hire a van and driver at pretty reasonable cost - some specifically for band use too.
Do you know any local mates who have a van and might drive for you allowing all to partake in a light refreshing "cola" after the gig.

Dave
[/quote]

Vans that are suitably equipped to legally transport a bands worth of people are hard to come by in most places though - that's why I bit the bullet and set up my own. There's quite stringent safety requirements for fitting extra rear seats, and insurance for a modified vehicle is a tough game, you'd have a heart attack if you'd seen some of the quotes I was given (from the few insurers prepared to quote on it!)

[quote name='KK Jale' timestamp='1333556142' post='1603531']
I've looked at this for London use.

Weighed against car ownership (£1000 pa for me before fuel and before it goes wrong... again) it does seem to make some sense... but only for intensive trips.

With gigs, there’s a three-to-five hour hole in the middle where the car just sits there with the meter running, as it were.

If anyone's done proper sums on car share deals, I'd be interested to hear their conclusions...
[/quote]
I did look into car clubs but it didn't take long to work out that using Addison Lee was far cheaper. You've just got to find someone in the band that doesn't mind storing the bands gear in one place. Though I suppose if you all live close enough picking up gear from everyone's homes could be feasible.

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1333647197' post='1604823']
Vans that are suitably equipped to legally transport a bands worth of people are hard to come by in most places though - that's why I bit the bullet and set up my own. There's quite stringent safety requirements for fitting extra rear seats, and insurance for a modified vehicle is a tough game, you'd have a heart attack if you'd seen some of the quotes I was given (from the few insurers prepared to quote on it!)
[/quote]

Agree with you 100% a modified vehicle will cost a lot to insure because of the safety checks and evidence it has been done correctly especially nowadays where seatbelts must be fitted and used. There is also the fact that you are hiring and van is therefore a business rather than for personal use. I have heard stories about insurance companies clamping down on personal use too.

You do get crewcabs though which are already seated with enough storage space for small to medium size bands. A second car with band members etc ensures a normal van has no additional passengers in rear. I believe the Police frown upon that nowadays.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

We've just taken the rear set of seats out of out Mazda Bongo. So there's now only seating for 4 or 5 (if you include the centre seat with the lap belt in the back) and loads of space behind. Absolutely ideal for a 4 piece band, very comfortable to travel in and like I say loads of space. The insurance is cheaper than out Ford Focus, but that is for personal use, but it is just for personal use, it is our everyday car, we're selling the Focus.

Our old Mitsubishi L300 just had 3 seats in the front and we couldn't insure it for personal use, we took insurance under our mobile Disco even though it was more of a hobby. I used to travel in the back all the time, sitting on huge bean bags, it was great! We had that van for years and I can't believe I never got caught. Though it didn't have windows down the side so it wasn't easy to see into, or out of...

A USA friend of mine runs a part-time PA/sound engineer business and he bought one of those smallish covered trailers for all his gear. Something like this, though there are loads of sizes and variations:

The advantage is that it doesn't mean running a big estate car/small van when you're only occasionally hauling loads of gear around plus it provides storage space between gigs. A disadvantge is finding somewhere secure to keep it.

Anyone tempted by the idea should check their driving licence though. Towing trailers is pretty simple for us oldies who passed our driving test back in prehistoric times but since 1997 (I think) the rules changed a lot and I think specific tests are now required.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1333371620' post='1600662']
Currently I can fit the whole band and all the gear in my focus :P

3 people
1 bass (in hardcase)
1 guitar (in softcase)
Bass amp
2 x 210 bass cab
1 x guitar combo
rack case
Gig bag (cables etc)
Bass Stand
[/quote]

Good, but where's the PA?

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1333733787' post='1605915']
A USA friend of mine runs a part-time PA/sound engineer business and he bought one of those smallish covered trailers for all his gear. Something like this, though there are loads of sizes and variations:

The advantage is that it doesn't mean running a big estate car/small van when you're only occasionally hauling loads of gear around plus it provides storage space between gigs. A disadvantge is finding somewhere secure to keep it.

Anyone tempted by the idea should check their driving licence though. Towing trailers is pretty simple for us oldies who passed our driving test back in prehistoric times but since 1997 (I think) the rules changed a lot and I think specific tests are now required.
[/quote]

Thats probably the best deal for us... the pa can live in it and the trailer would fit in my lockup... they are cheap'ish, i'll investigate further. cheers

G...