Why become a member? ×

NBD - 1979 Peavey T-40

Machines

This landed today in exchange for my Tanglewood Overwater Contemporary J5 thanks to Drew at Manchester Bass Lounge. It has the OHSC along with original owners manual. The smell that emanates from the case is simply amazing - old oak/musty smell but without the stink of old tobacco smoke.

We shall spend the next few days getting acquainted :).

i don't think it's that heavy actually - less than I expected anyway. The controls are certainly not intuitive but with so many sounds possible it's only of little inconvenience. What I really can't believe is how cheap they are, this was made in the US - glad the Fender snobs dislike them as it meant a bargain for me :).

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1333297959' post='1599694']
i don't think it's that heavy actually - less than I expected anyway. The controls are certainly not intuitive but with so many sounds possible it's only of little inconvenience. What I really can't believe is how cheap they are, this was made in the US - glad the Fender snobs dislike them as it meant a bargain for me :).
[/quote]
you will really really quickly get the hang of them- they are really really versatile

The best thing to do is think of it as anything but a bass, putting everything at 10 simply doesn't work. I found my favourite tone with both pickups on in phase, front vol on 9 and tone at 10 (single coil mode) and back pickup vol at 10 and tone at 8 (humbucker mode). Makes for a fender killing rock tone :)

I have a matching '79 T-40 too! My favourite sounds out of it are both pickups with everything at 10, played hard, with a pick, into a tube amp or overdrive pedal. Also the same setting but rolling off the tone a tad at the bridge to fatten it up.

Another good tip is that if you want to solo the bridge pickup, I believe flipping the phase switch will end up using the single coil further from the bridge which sounds a bit meatier.

Edited by dannybuoy

Just been playing with it :D. Bridge pickup humbucking on it's own is Stingray territory. I think the neck pickup is too close to the neck to do a decent Precision impression but works nicely. I think the strings it came with need changing but other than that I'm very happy :).

Always liked the look of them but never tried one out, curiosity and a few YouTube vids later and GAS kicked in. Saw the one for sale on Manchester Bass Lounge website and just had to go for it. Drew drive down from Manc with it and we had a good natter too. From looking around the forums a lot of other people have had an NBD today too !

Aha!! You are here as well!!

Welcome to the fold.

Some good friends on here Coco, is a big fan and has a Toaster and. . . . . . a Blade!

It will take a little while and some playing around with your amp EQ - not to correct anything
but to accentuateal the different tones posible.

Ash (Coco) has almost the same gigging settings as mine but for a whole bunch of other sounds/tones,
best to sit down in fornt of your rig with the volume turned way down and dial in all the variations.
Write them down, set each one and then turn up to rehearsal/ gigging volume.
If you want any help/advice/tips/technical/history. . . . . anything, happy to answer your call.

Cheers. :)

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1333379372' post='1600848']
Nothing amusing about not getting a T-40 - it is very real.
[/quote]

I didn't get a T40, and I can confirm that I am not amused.

I was offered the act of passion on the morning of April Fool's - but biology provided the punch line :(