Why become a member? ×

music man bongo 6, is it worth it?

petercullenbassist

Hey guys, in the last year i have been busy as hell with work in the studio and gigging. So was thinking of getting a music Man Bongo 6, im using a Ibanez SR506 atm.

The bongo is alot of money and will be selling my ibanez to help fund/replace. But can it be justifyed paying around £1700 on a Bass?

I have never played a bongo of heard one before so dont know what they are like.

What are they like?
Are you buying more than just a name?
How does it compere?
Whats your expereance with one? Good and bad.

Anyyhing about them would be geart. If the report is good then ill be buying one from the USA and having it shiped. So just really want to br sure.

Thanks all

Peter Cullen Bassist

I played one locally, twas heavy but 24 frets on a 34" scale made for easy playing. It's more articulate than a stingray for sure and the neck finish is fine but your main issues are - that it's not that comfortable when sitting down and (again!) it's heavy but so are all six strings - i've played heavier.

Thanks for that, yeah didnt look to commfy to sit down with, but that dont really bother me, and like you said all 6 strings have a waight to them, i use to play an 8 string monstar for 2 years and that qas just under 12kg! So my 6 string atm feels great and i wouldbt even feel a guitar there back when i played the 8 string.
Thanks again.

I'd never pay that much for anything without playing one first, what kind of sound are you after?

To me, the Bongo sounds alot like a smoother, and more versatile due to the monster EQ and cheaper Warwick,

The 34" is good (I like both 34 and 35 so all good for me) but I don't really like the neck heel but thats all personal stuff, i didn't find it too heavey the few i've played.

I'd say play one first though!

I really enjoyed playing the HS version suited pretty much everything I threw at it!

Also, why ordering one from the states? Out of curiosity,

Edited by AttitudeCastle

[quote name='sprocket123' timestamp='1333286334' post='1599547']
Oops , it s Bass Central , here s the link : http://www.basscentral.com/2003/index.php
[/quote]

Bass Central won't export an MM bass. Ernie Ball don't allow any US dealer to export their basses.

[quote name='petercullenbassist' timestamp='1333236097' post='1599169']
Hey guys, in the last year i have been busy as hell with work in the studio and gigging. So was thinking of getting a music Man Bongo 6, im using a Ibanez SR506 atm.

The bongo is alot of money and will be selling my ibanez to help fund/replace. But can it be justifyed paying around £1700 on a Bass?

I have never played a bongo of heard one before so dont know what they are like.

What are they like?
Are you buying more than just a name?
How does it compere?
Whats your expereance with one? Good and bad.

Anyyhing about them would be geart. If the report is good then ill be buying one from the USA and having it shiped. So just really want to br sure.

Thanks all

Peter Cullen Bassist
[/quote]

Here s the link for MM in UK : http://www.musicmanuk.co.uk/MMstockhome.htm

Call or email the dealers in order to have the best price

Keep an eye out on eBay.com and classifieds I picked up a new 5hh stealth for £500. Even after tax and mail costs it still worked out just over 700. Awesome bass, btw. Bongos depreciate quite nicely so I think used but in great condition is the way to go.