Why become a member? ×

The "smaller" rig new amp or cab

WalMan

I've been thinking of a smaller rig for r/h and the more bijou affair but am currently torn between:
[list=1]
[*]getting something like the MB200 to sit on the BF Super12T for a lower powered amp for places where the others mutter about bass level; or
[*]getting a 1x12 8 ohm cab (BF Midget) that will drop the output from the Genz Benz STM6 and also have the benefit of smaller size, but be more stuff to find space to store at home, which'll go down badly with MrsW
[/list]
I suspect with the 5's the former would probably be the better option, but in many ways I think I prefer option 2 subject to the right cab.

Of course option 3 is the MB200 AND a smaller cab, which would also have the benefit of giving me something to monitor the bass synth/pedals with at the prog gigs (but be even MORE cr@p to contend with. All this from the idiot who downsized from a Laguna Estate to an A3 Spotback "because I am using less and smaller gear now" DOH!!

HELP!! whats a boy :huh: to do

I assume you've played through a Midget at some point? If not, you may be surprised at how [i][b]little [/b][/i]it reduces your volume. :lol:

It also handles a Low B without effort and with no nasty farting noises.

The MB200 is a nice enough head, but having borrowed one for a couple of weeks last year I went out and bought an MB500. The extra functionality + the extra headroom made it seem like much better VFM to me.

Running an MB200 through a SuperTwelve is a bit of a mis-match IMHO. You're feeding a super-sensitive cab with so little power that you'd be better off just running through the PA. That would certainly cut down on the kit you try to fit into your A3. B)

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1333281377' post='1599481']
Doesn't your amp have a volume control?

I'd keep the amp and get a 112 for the smaller gigs.
[/quote]Yes, but I often feel I am getting grief for my volume when I have nowhere left to go, and yes the basses have volume controls as well :rolleyes:

Perhaps based on Jacks comments I just need a smaller rig. I was sort of hoping that the drop to 8 ohms with the Midget & consequent potential drop in power from the Streamliner would help. Pehaps not. Methinks I need to beg/steal/borrow one to test

Had an MB CMD121H for a ewhile before I moved through an MB head & the S12T to the GB

Back to the drawing board.

Tonights r/h with the Tanglewater might give me a clue...stop using active basses! :o

I love my L2500's & the Wal but they pump so much level it's not true. Last proggy gig the Wal was on 3 into the Streamliner with the master back around 9 oclock.

Tonight was with the country rock / americana lot and I took the Wal & Tanglewater, the latter being passive and which I ended up using all night, but with everything full up on the bass I needed the stun switch (for which read gain button) on on the amp, and the master up around 12 o'clock. Sounded great, but vastly different from the settings required with the active basses.

The MB200 was an "as well as" option for r/h and small gigs rather than "instead of". Perhaps I should go back to the Bass Pod xT Pro straight into the PA. Then at least if I'm too loud it's not my fautl (entirely) B)

Back to the drawing board.

Edited by WalMan

[quote name='john the pond' timestamp='1333315950' post='1600075']
Volume pedal?
[/quote]Possibly. I just wonder that rolling back the levels will not be driving the front of the amp right, none of the input overload warnings are coming up yet with the actives the master out is rolled right back on the amp & like I say I have had that on occasion with the Wal when it is barely on.

Need to experiment more with the TC compressor and the gain make up
[quote name='john the pond' timestamp='1333315950' post='1600075']Active basses are not always louder than passive basses.
[/quote] Sorry, that comment was slightly tongue in cheek

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' timestamp='1333392369' post='1601118']
Doesn't any of your gear have a pad button on it?

Or if you could find a pedal you liked that you could leave on (subtle compression or chorus for example) you could use that as an in-line volume. Or even make a simple volume dial that you can put before your amp.
[/quote]Well I reckon the pad is probably the gain button on the Streamliner, and that is set to Off for the actives & On for the Classic J last night.

Perhaps I should just accept I am a noisy b@st@rd

As above I think need to re evaluate the Nova Dynamics pedal settings as I could not nbe helping myself with the gain makeup setting, otherwise the EBS Chorus &/or Octabass only seem to slightly increase the levels.

As for the volume dial in front of the amp the STM has input & pre gain controls and I have the (probably erroneous) feeling that cuts before the amp will mean I am not driving the amp properly / efficiently.

I fear this largely comes down to having acquired a far more efficient cab, and possibly the more recent amps tha I have used before.

I don't think more gear is the answer.
Turn down any compression first. if you are using a valve pre don't drive it hard at all.
Then use the eq- you won't be 'too loud' across the board, you will be too loud in certain frequencies- learn to hear them. Get/build a wee parametric notch eq if you need one.

The thing about humbuckers, as I guess it is more down to them than the active electronics, is that they have quite a wide fat mid- compare that to the thinner sound of a single coil. Used correctly that's not a problem but if you're not careful you can bludgeon too much of the space the other instruments need and sound 'too loud'.

Agree that humbucker on a bass can be overkill... esp with an active pre as well. Just waaaay too much bass and therefore mud.and a shi**y sound.
You can loose all your tonal character like this pretty easily.

Also..am confused how 3 on a dial is perceived as less. My dials always start from about 7 0'clock so 3 is VERY loud. 9 0'clock would be a tickle.

But the whole point of valve pre's is to OD them if that is your thing. How/why you would switch between core sounds is not something I'd do, personally.
You either like clean on a bass or you don't.
And don't get me started on pedals. :lol: :lol:

[quote name='john the pond' timestamp='1333436671' post='1601529']
Need a smiley for DOH! Edited to correct.
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: I thought maybe it was just my amps..!! :lol: and this new lot of stuff had a different take on things.

But, yes, I guess it would make more sense to start at 12.. maybe.. but I am an old fart anyway..!! <_<

I downsized from a TC BH500 with a pair of TC BC212s to an Ampeg PF500 and Barefaced Super Twelve T, now I have a rig which is half the size and weight with 100% better tone and a LOT more quality output :)
What about the Ampeg PF350 ? regards the Barefaced cab, go for it, I have no experience of the Midget but the Super Twelve is one helluva good cab :)

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1333436376' post='1601524']
Also..am confused how 3 on a dial is perceived as less. My dials always start from about 7 0'clock so 3 is VERY loud. 9 0'clock would be a tickle.
[/quote]

There may be confusion here as some are describing the O'clock setting and some are describing a setting of 3 as 3 on a scale from 1-10 so their 'dial on 3' statement is actually around 9-10 O'clock.