Why become a member? ×

Flats... but on which bass?

ras52

So.... I wanna set up one of my fretted basses with flats.

For that "classic" sound, the obvious host is my USA Precision, but... is just sounds too good with its current rounds, much better than anything else. So buy another USA P and string it with flats, I hear you say. That would be nice, PM me and I'll give you may Paypal details!

Without buying another bass, the options are one of the B-team basses (usually living at the guitarist's house or lying around for noodling):

* Ryder RP-1. This actually has some dodgy flats on it that moment (Fenders, the E string sounds weird harmonics) and plays well, but it prone to popping sounds when the strings get close to the P/U. Would a pickup upgrade help, or is this just a setup thing. I don't get it on any other bass :~/

* Squier ProTone Precision (P/J) Nice to play, but has a skinny J neck, and I prefer the width of a P! Again, plays better than it sounds (another candidate for an upgrade))

With buying a bass, but not spending much money... sell/trade the Retrovive RV4 and get a Squier CV?

A crucial factor is that this bass has to be up to the job in the studio.

What do you think?

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1332789086' post='1593180']
Ryder RP-1... Would a pickup upgrade help, or is this just a setup thing. I don't get it on any other bass...[/quote]

I had a Ryder with an EMG Select fitted and it was fine.

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1332789086' post='1593180']
...sell/trade the Retrovive RV4 and get a Squier CV?
[/quote]

This would work, too. :) IMHO.

IMHO, get a decent pickup, something vintage sounding like Wizard Trad or Seymour Duncan SPB-1 on the Ryder & get it set-up.
Never used Fender flats myself, but they're not known for being inferior strings - might sound alright after sorting out the bass.

Thanks for the ideas... I went for the [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]SPB-1, expecting delivery any day now. Then someone on here alerted me to a bargain CV Precision so I bagged that too! [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] [/font][/color][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif] :o [/font][/color]

[quote name='ras52' timestamp='1333384070' post='1600963']
I went for the [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]SPB-1, expecting delivery any day now...[/font][/color]
[/quote]

Good choice! I have one fitted to my custom P and it sounds immense! :D

My daughters bought me a set of flats for my birthday and I can't make my mind up whether to put them on my G&L SB1 or my 58 Bitsa P bass.

Any thoughts anybody, my head is too fuzzy to make an informed decision tonight.

Having a job deciding whether to have a tea or a coffee at the moment :unsure:

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1333391393' post='1601094']
My daughters bought me a set of flats for my birthday and I can't make my mind up whether to put them on my G&L SB1 or my 58 Bitsa P bass.

Any thoughts anybody, my head is too fuzzy to make an informed decision tonight.

Having a job deciding whether to have a tea or a coffee at the moment :unsure:
[/quote]
They're both four-a-side headstocks so try them on one and then try them on the other.

Biased viewpoint here.... get those TI flats on any one of your basses :) And, for Gary Mac... TI flats on my G&L SB1 immense, no shortage of harmonics /treble when needed, can do the Andy Fraser EB3 sound with it, clean hifi, a fair approximation of the Ric 4001 I once owned. They last forever, 7 yrs + on SB1 so despite initial £££ they work out cheap in long run. Big plus is zero fret wear as well.

[quote name='Shambo' timestamp='1333401056' post='1601316']
Interesting that you thought the Fender flats were dodgy. I've got a set with an weird harmonic on the A string. I thought the bridge might be to blame but now I'm changing my diagnosis.
[/quote]

Argh, I'd just started considering that my nut was to blame! Anyway... my CV P is on its way :) so a bit of experimental string-swappage may shed some light on this.

• 2 weeks later...