Why become a member? ×

Gallien krueger

jackhammer

The head is rated: 225 watts @ 8ohm and 380 watts @ 4ohm. the bab is 8ohm so the output will be 225 watts. Thats a lot of juice if you play with people who dont play loud for the sake of it. Both those loads DO NOT include the output from the 75 watt amp.
Heres a link to the manual. It explains the bi-amp thingy better than I ever could.
[url="http://www.gallien-krueger.com/manuals/700rb.pdf"]http://www.gallien-krueger.com/manuals/700rb.pdf[/url]

specs on the head -

[b]700RB-II[/b]
• 480 watts (4 ohms) plus 50 watt
Horn bi-amp system
• Active 4-band EQ
• Adjustable contour, presence & 4/5
string voicing
• Boost (valve effect)
• Seperate tweeter & woofer
volume controls
• Effects loop & tuner out with mute
• XLR out with level, ground lift &
pre/post switch
• Speakon & 1/4" outputs
• 19x3.5x8 (2 rack spaces)
• 19.5 lbs.

IIRC it's 320w at 8Ohm and 480 at 4Ohm. The +50 is because there's actually two amps inside the head, one for the woofers and one for the tweeters. That cab doesn't have bi-amp compatability anyway though so you'll just be using the 320w with the one cab.

Mog, those are the stats for the 700RB (the older version), the 700RB-II has more beef. :)

That deal is brilliant value for money. Even Thomman has just the head for £500. The cab isn't brilliant but it's good enough and with a great head, you'll be able to upgrade the cab when you want. Don't get me wrong, they're very good cabs for the money, they're just cheap. :) I doubt you'll be able to find a better setup to get you started.

If you have any more questions, just ask. I'm no expert on amps but I've used most of GK's stuff and owned that head.

I'm using an MB210 combo with one of these cabs underneath. IMO they are exceptionally good. I can get some seriously trouser flapping, in fact the last cab to do that was my old heavy trace 4x12".

I've had 3 700RB II heads and sold my last one to buy the combo. A wee bit different to set up but once it was how Iliked it, I haven't touched anything other than the volume.

Easily the best and lightest rig I've ever owned and part of the reason I'm not on here as often as I used to be.

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1332784553' post='1593096']
I'm using an MB210 combo with one of these cabs underneath. IMO they are exceptionally good. I can get some seriously trouser flapping, in fact the last cab to do that was my old heavy trace 4x12".
[/quote]

Yeah, having re-read my post I think it comes across a bit negative about the cabs.

To re-phrase, they're budget cabs. Within their price bracket they're untouchable IMO, nothing I've ever seen or heard comes close to them anywhere near that price. IMO the Neos are better (with a similar sound) but you are paying a fair bit extra for them and there's not a huge difference. It's things like bracing etc that have been skipped to keep the budget down, the MBEs are beefy cabs with great tone. If you can try out the rig, that would obviously be best, but if not then if you do take the plunge you can feel confident that you'll have an awesome amp that will last many years, be reliable and sound great.

Check them out on Thomann.de

They have sound samples of many of the cabs they sell - rock/metal/slap - so you can get an idea of whether to buy or not.

Not ideal, as you don`t know which bass or amp, but it gives a helpful steer.

[quote name='jackhammer' timestamp='1332857222' post='1594014']
What are the differences between the two mate?
[/quote]

I'm no expert (and there are plenty of other threads on here that can go into more detail) but in very basic terms, the RB700 in your link is a classic bass amp design, but very traditional in that it is large and heavy - the MB500 is a lightweight, modern amp that is also very small. It doesn't have as many features as the RB700 but still has that GK tone and growl - I know Lozz196 has one and swears by it.
Unfortunately the pictures on the Soundslive website make both amps look about the same size, which they definitely aren't!

Because it's made with newer technology and because people are willing to pay for the smallness premium. Either would be fine, I have a 1001RB-II and love it but if I were to do it all again I'd probably go small and digital.

Edited by Jack

I have the Fusion 550 (the larger version of the light weight Fusion 500 mentioned above) with NEO 115 and 210 cabinets. I love it and I wouldn't trade it for any other amp.

If you want to hear it, I'll be playing at The Horn in St. Albans on Saturday night.