Why become a member? ×

Plux's first proper gig with the big band....

51m0n

Saw Plux play with the Brighton Music Service Big Band for the first time properly on Saturday.

He's only been with them 6 months and its the first time I've seen them 'heading the bill' as it were.

He normally plays only the tracks that require double bass, since they have an electric bassist too, but the other fella couldn't make it, so Plux stood in on electric duties too and played the whole set, even though he doesnt normally play those parts at rehearsal. Busy night, he certainly worked hard!

They had great sound on the night and played a fantastic set, which I recorded from way back in the audience, once I've sorted the recording out (its hours long, got the whole night including the Concert Band's 15 minute segue through The Jungle Book, awesome stuff!) I'll stick a link up to it. He played brilliantly, and totally owned it - fantastic rhythm section with him, the drummer and guitarists who provided an absolutely solid swinging foundation for the horns to let rip over the top of.

Amazing night seeing so many of his contempories playing fantastic music, many of whom came up through the Brighton Music Service with him from something like 12 years ago, and have gone on to become really excellent musicians.

Well ddone Plux!

You can hear the tracks here:-

[url="http://soundcloud.com/51m0n-1/sets/brighton-and-hove-youth-big-1"]http://soundcloud.co...ove-youth-big-1[/url]

Edited by 51m0n

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1332924489' post='1594812']
Or not it would seem :rolleyes: :D
[/quote]

It sounds great mate! And so does Plux! I only heard a couple of them, there's only so much Jazz one can manage in a single sitting :D Which do you think think is his standout track?

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1333007669' post='1595982']
It sounds great mate! And so does Plux! I only heard a couple of them, there's only so much Jazz one can manage in a single sitting :D Which do you think think is his standout track?
[/quote]

Bwahahaha! Yeah, can't argue with that :D

Track 7 is pretty nice on DB, he was playing with real confidence I think (so he's pretty clear in the recording), hit all the stabs and swung like a donkey's appendage, to my albeit very untrained ear.

Track 8 is pretty bonkers on electric, remember he was reading the dots for this on stage, it's latin, which he finds pretty tricky (having listened to too much funk and rock stuff, as is the law in our household), with feel changes into a pretty fast walking line, and he doesnt get to rehearse this at all with the band. Really aquitted himself well I think. I certainly couldnt do it!

I also think the very last track is quite cool, lots of seat of the pants improv by the horns (with varying success), held together with a vice like grip from the rhythm serction, very unexpected guitar solo, and at the end they are joined by the Concert Band (who played first on the night) for a really big New Orleans-esque sound. Great way to end the gig!

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1333009677' post='1596010']
Very good.
[/quote]

Cheers ET!

Great stuff. Its amazing how these kids can still play with their hoodies whilst texting with their left hands. Monster :lol:

Actually there is some pertty intense reading on track 3 as well as track 8. Some nice arrangements, as well. Stock or written by the band/leader?

Yeah, mad isnt it! Its almost as if they may at some point actually turn into decent hardworking members of society. No hold on that can't be right....

I have no idea if these arrangements are written by band leader or not to be honest Bilbo, they are pretty up for changing things around. They do a version of Birdland with both bassists, which I've yet to hear (can't wait!), that is definitely their own.