Why become a member? ×

9V Batteries

The Funk

It only just occurred to me to tell you guys that I get Duracell "Coppertop" 9Vs cheap from a web company called [url="http://www.battery-force.co.uk"]Battery Force[/url].

You can get a Duracell 9V for around £1.65 if you buy in bulk. I laugh at my guitarist when he tells me he pays over £5 at a corner shop for a Duracell 9V.

I bought a whole bunch of AA, AAA and 9V Duracell batteries from them in summer '05 - I still haven't had to buy any new ones. My spare 9Vs have now run out so I'm going to put in a large order. When you think of each effects pedal and your bass's active preamp it makes sense to have a few sitting around in your gig bag and a few more sitting around at home.

So I just thought I'd share that with you guys. Hopefully you don't clear them out before I get a chance to put in my order! I'm sure there are plenty of other online battery suppliers but these are the only guys I've dealt with before.

Duracell Procells have been recommended to me and seem to be an industry standard. You can find good deals from bulk suppliers on Ebay. Before I was running rechargables and getting into all sorts of strife as they lost charge very suddenly.

[quote name='The Funk' post='174982' date='Apr 12 2008, 05:40 AM']It only just occurred to me to tell you guys that I get Duracell "Coppertop" 9Vs cheap from a web company called [url="http://www.battery-force.co.uk"]Battery Force[/url].

You can get a Duracell 9V for around £1.65 if you buy in bulk. I laugh at my guitarist when he tells me he pays over £5 at a corner shop for a Duracell 9V.

I bought a whole bunch of AA, AAA and 9V Duracell batteries from them in summer '05 - I still haven't had to buy any new ones. My spare 9Vs have now run out so I'm going to put in a large order. When you think of each effects pedal and your bass's active preamp it makes sense to have a few sitting around in your gig bag and a few more sitting around at home.

So I just thought I'd share that with you guys. Hopefully you don't clear them out before I get a chance to put in my order! I'm sure there are plenty of other online battery suppliers but these are the only guys I've dealt with before.[/quote]

Thanks, I'll pass that on to our singer. He goes through x2 9v Duracells a night (1 x in ear monitors, 1 x digital delay pedal... we have a rack reverb/delay but don't ask, suffice to say it's the singer we're talking about).

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='174990' date='Apr 12 2008, 08:08 AM']Duracell Procells have been recommended to me and seem to be an industry standard. You can find good deals from bulk suppliers on Ebay. Before I was running rechargables and getting into all sorts of strife as they lost charge very suddenly.[/quote]

They have the Procells at Battery Force too - they appear to be a fair bit cheaper than the Coppertops as well. I can't tell from the Duracell site which is actually "better" but it is fairly clear that the Procells are aimed at industrial applications while the Coppertops are aimed at consumers.

I doubt I'd be able to hear any difference!

I get my procells from [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/10-X-DURACELL-PROCELL-ALKALINE-PP3-9v-PP3-BATTERIES_W0QQitemZ370042101377QQihZ024QQcategoryZ50615QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem"]HERE[/url]

£10.84 posted for 10, long (2012) use by date. Lasts me for ages unless the kids pinch 'em :)

Hi everyone
+1 on the procells, i used to get them at the theatres i worked at from friendly techies, glad ive a link to get em, they really do last longer, incidentally i saw an advert in bass player about 9v batteries called powerbugs, they are lithium batteries designed for musical instruments, went on their webpage they are supposed to keep full charge a lot longer and have more headroom(its just 9v isnt it :) ) unfortunately they dont deliver tothe uk so keep an eye out for distributers everyone :huh:
All the best-LEE

PS. Just done a bit of googling and read some Talkbass threads on powerbugs, lots of differing opinions but apparently powerbugs have ceased trading, even though loads of top pro's are apparently?? using them, however the parent company is called ultralife and they do lithium batteries at £12 for 10 on ebay, so i might take the plunge and buy a set, ill let you all know-lee

Edited by lee650

RE: Ultralifes
Just a heads up before anyone buys.
Ultralifes do last MUCH longer than Duracells. Unfortunately they are a bit bigger than Duracells and will not fit in some basses/pedals. For example, they don't fit in my Stingray or in my Microbass.

Cheers mate!! :)
Thanks for the heads up, i dont need em for my pedals,i did hear they were bigger, do they fit in your warwick ok?, thats what i want them for, my jazz is active too, im pretty certain they wont fit in the battery compartment i had fitted.
Ive also read they give a cleaner sound due to increased headroom, is that true? id imagine they just keep a consistent tone longer.
Thanks again- LEE

RE: Ultralifes
Just a heads up before anyone buys.
Ultralifes do last MUCH longer than Duracells. Unfortunately they are a bit bigger than Duracells and will not fit in some basses/pedals. For example, they don't fit in my Stingray or in my Microbass.
[/quote]

[quote name='lee650' date='Apr 22 2008, 08:39 PM' post='183171']
Cheers mate!! :huh:
Thanks for the heads up, i dont need em for my pedals,i did hear they were bigger, do they fit in your warwick ok?, thats what i want them for, my jazz is active too, im pretty certain they wont fit in the battery compartment i had fitted.
Ive also read they give a cleaner sound due to increased headroom, is that true? id imagine they just keep a consistent tone longer.
Thanks again- LEE

They fit fine in the Dolphin and my Reggie Hamilton Jazz. They don't fit in things with the swivel type battery compartment as far as I can see.
Regarding a cleaner sound, I can't say I've heard any difference. 9V is 9V I would have thought although I'm sure some "golden ears" nerds will swear blind that they can hear an improvement. :)

HA HA!!
Your right, and ive never been accused of having golden ears!!!!, if they fit my warwicks then i might give them a go, thanks again mate most appreciated, let me know when your playin you live in oldham dont you? not a million miles away.
cheers- lee

[quote name='lee650' post='183171' date='Apr 22 2008, 08:39 PM']Cheers mate!! :huh:
Thanks again- LEE

They fit fine in the Dolphin and my Reggie Hamilton Jazz. They don't fit in things with the swivel type battery compartment as far as I can see.
Regarding a cleaner sound, I can't say I've heard any difference. 9V is 9V I would have thought although I'm sure some "golden ears" nerds will swear blind that they can hear an improvement. :)[/quote]

Technical question, and I bow down to anyone who knows anything about batteries, but i thought there was a minor difference between Duracell and 'other' batteries that might make a difference. Trouble i can't remember which way around it is...

I'm thinking that Duracell have a greater ability to discharge large amounts of power in one go, but if you want a continuous flow then you should choouse another brand... or the other way around. I guess this would be volts vs. amps?

Does this ring any bells or make any sense?