Why become a member? ×

Tobias Pro 6 string Bass - NeckThru with Hardcase

Dood

[attachment=7539:DSC_0020.JPG][attachment=7540:DSC_0021.JPG][attachment=7541:DSC_0023.JPG][attachmen
t=7542:DSC_0024.JPG][attachment=7543:DSC_0025.JPG][attachment=7544:DSC_0027.JPG][attachment=7545:DSC
_
0028.JPG][attachment=7546:DSC_0028.JPG][attachment=7547:DSC_0029.JPG]

Some online reviews:-
[url="http://www.activebass.com/resources/revmain.asp?i=2114"]http://www.activebass.com/resources/revmain.asp?i=2114[/url]
[url="http://www.bgra.net/2004/review.php?id=1101&type=bass"]http://www.bgra.net/2004/review.php?id=1101&type=bass[/url]

Yep! Time to move on a beloved. Not to be mistaken with the more recent (and of general opinion, inferior) bubinga bodied 6B Custom models sold in SoundControl; Here is my Tobias Pro 6 bass!

It is a 34" scale 16mm spacing bass featuring a 5 piece laminate neckthru body build of Wenge and Maple, with a nice figured Maple wings. It also features upgrade EMG extended range P type active pups and a 2 band EQ preamp Vol/Pan/Bass/Treble. I will leave the Schaller locking buttons on too!

The bass has seen gig action and has fret wear. However it doesn't have any playing issues. I guess a service and set up to suit your playing style maybe a good idea. ( I pretty much do that with all new basses that I buy!) .
Of the pics above.. 4 shows a small ding in the fretboard, away from the strings.. probably under 1mm deep. Pic 5 shows a small ding in the centre of the pic.. Yes, you'll have to look closely! Pic 6 looks a bit like a bruise.It's under the lacquer and can not be 'felt' when you run a finger over, so doesnt affect playability.The last pic shows where I had moved the strap button down to the centre of the 'bum' end, so it was the same as my other basses. Probably helped against dingage too! The finish it self isn't bad. Over the years of playing, there are a few patches that have been 'shined' where my hands have rubbed. There is no discolouration though! T'is all good.

As the bass has a bit of wear shown in the pics - t'is a looooow price! [b]£350 inc Hard case[/b].

Would very much suggest pickup as couriers can't be trusted! - I can also ship the bass about a bit through friends as I do travel. Best to PM me with your location, as we may be able to sort something out and save some pennies!

If you would like any specific pics, I am happy to mail some over.

[quote name='budget bassist' post='176796' date='Apr 15 2008, 12:48 AM']Damn, just out of interest how much would my tobias toby pro5B custom be worth? (that's the bubinga model with the assym neck)[/quote]

My guess that one in new condition would be around £250 or a bit more. I can't remember what SoundControl used to sell them for though.

[quote name='dood' post='177086' date='Apr 15 2008, 02:59 PM']My guess that one in new condition would be around £250 or a bit more. I can't remember what SoundControl used to sell them for though.[/quote]I got a new 6B for £300 from them a couple of years ago.

[quote name='matty589' post='177804' date='Apr 16 2008, 12:44 PM']I got a new 6B for £300 from them a couple of years ago.[/quote]

Yeah, i remember SC sold off the B series Tobias stock a while back, that sounds about right. I think around the same time that the like of Hartke / Trace and Mesa got dropped from the stock list. Not sure what the state of play is these days, but our local branch doesn't have the varied selection it had a few years ago. I think SC have preferred manufacturers!!!

TBH i think SC are going down the toilet. I'll be willing to bet within a year my local SC will have closed down. Every time i go in there's nobody in there, they appear to have thinned out on staff and they never have any new stock because they never sell anything. And it's all because they refuse to put sensible prices on their gear. Instead people buy from the net and save £100 or something ridiculous.

Edited by budget bassist

Thats interesting stuff.. Well they are obviously doing well somehow. They are responsible for the big MusicLive show every year. (The reason why you won't ever see any of SC's competitors there!!!)

Any interest in my bass folks?

[quote name='dood' post='179136' date='Apr 17 2008, 06:35 PM']I might like a Sansamp or similar as part of a deal. I used to have an M80, but I think I am swaying more to the BDDI. Anyone?[/quote]

Maybe interested in something trade wise too. ^^^^ I did think about getting a second Aguilar GS-112, or a nice flat screen 19"+ PC TFT.

Would also consider a good laptop.

Anyone interested? tell me what ya got!

[quote name='kingforaday' post='176298' date='Apr 14 2008, 02:47 PM']it really isa bargain people! please, somebody buy it before i go against everything i believe in and buy a 6 string bass![/quote]

I was just about to send you the link for this bass!

Ed

[quote name='kingforaday' post='182970' date='Apr 22 2008, 04:54 PM']ha! ed you've seen me play 4 string... 6?! really?!? seriously don't reckon i could handle it, i'm too easily confused.[/quote]

A common misconception! It takes a little time to get used to, for sure, but if you just go with the flow, your brain soon gets used to it!

My trades list still stands above or a cold hard cash offer may secure a deal for you! Remeber I have a set of Active EMGs on board and a hard case in the bargain.

Yeah, actually the tone on some of my early recordings wasn't actually that bad.. but there is defintely a marked improvement in the upgrade, whatever quality pickup goes in. Michael Tobias preferred Bartolini pups. I have even seen Seymours in Tobias basses. I think the EMG extended range active soapbars are really good loud, powerful pickups. What I do like (and other manufacturers are following suit) is that you can get a whole different range of configurations in the same package sizes. The pups in this bass are both P styles, for a fat round tone with a quality bottom end and a clear top.
My Shuker 7 string has EMG 'DC' style pups that sound a lot more like the musicman 'tone' in comparison. Raspy and biting with a very tight bottom end. Yet, DC's will drop straight into the Tobias without any soldering, thanks to the quick release connectors. I guess you have the option of J style, CS (similar to DC but softer) and TW configurable pups.

so to sum up, yeah Wood, hardware and construction plays a big part in the tone of any bass but a larger percentage of your bass tone is the pickups (and electronics). Any bass with 'mighty mite' pickups should have an upgrade, you owe it to your tone ;o)

[quote name='RaNoFuNkY' post='186708' date='Apr 27 2008, 08:02 PM']BUMP!

Somebody snatch this up - I can't stand having this itch that I just can't scratch!!

Top bass, top guy[/quote]

Thanks chap!

[quote name='steve-soar' post='186821' date='Apr 27 2008, 10:19 PM']Larks tongues, Ocelote's livers, get 'em while they're hot.[/quote]

heh heh!!! Very good! "He's not the messiah..."