Why become a member? ×

Praise for the Roadworn Fenders...

Musicman20

Now this is also related to their guitars, but my friend who plays electric guitar professionally (in a huge Coldplay tribute band) has a Roadworn Telecaster, and my word, its LOOKS brilliant, but the feel and tone are just brilliant.

I know they are a controversial line of instruments, but I've played the Jazz recently and I still want one. I don't need one, but they really do seem to 'work' like a cheaper custom shop!

[quote name='Jacqueslemac' timestamp='1332262285' post='1585761']
Hmm, why can't they make one that feels like a roadworn model, but looks like a new one?

I want my basses to reflect my use of them, not to pretend I've bought an old bass from someone who couldn't be @rsed to look after it.
[/quote]

+1

The roadworn series are practically double the price of the Standard MIMs. So why not make an intermediately priced series using the better parts (as on a Roadworn), but on a 'clean' looking bass?

[quote name='sixdegrees' timestamp='1332263715' post='1585778']
+1

The roadworn series are practically double the price of the Standard MIMs. So why not make an intermediately priced series using the better parts (as on a Roadworn), but on a 'clean' looking bass?
[/quote]

I think this is where the 'Classic' series comes in, albeit without the nitro finish (which of course adds quite a lot to the cost of the road worn, as well as the feel). I've got a classic P-bass and it is lovely, but I really don't like the plasticky finish as much as the nitro on the RW.

Must admit I find the fake relicing a bit naff, but when I played a Roadworn precision - well if I`d had the money on me, I would have bought it there and then, irrespective of the fake malarkey.

Really, really great to play, so comfortable, even with the 50s style neck, which can be a bit of a stretch.

I bought a Mex 2011 classic 60's jazz bass neck from ebay and on the base of the neck, where it connects to the body, it has RW scored out which means the classic 60s jazzes and the roadworn are one and the same. The roadworns are just classic 60s given a bit of a kicking in the factory.

p.s. I know they're a bit silly.......but I do like them

I played the fiesta red Pbass and liked it, the worn feel to a classic bass is a match made in heaven but the price didn't justify it, considering for the same price I could purchase a USA Pbass and "gently" knock it round abit :P

yet, I tried the blonde telecaster at Salop Music, Shrewsbury. I did almost leave with it if it wasn't for an empty bank account XD
Ffor £750 I really thought it was worth it. . . Another example of Fender making better version guitars than basses in the same series???

My fiesta red RW Jazz is the best Jazz I've had my hands on, and I've had my hands on a few.

It's light, sounds amazing, plays itself and to me it looks very cool too. The Stingray and the Precision didn't get a look in on Saturday, and the band were in full agreement.

That said, I tried a sunburst one on Monday, in a shop, and it wasn't as instantly comfy as mine. Maybe a setup would've helped it, or maybe I just got a good one. Don't know.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1332284612' post='1586259']
I bought a Mex 2011 classic 60's jazz bass neck from ebay and on the base of the neck, where it connects to the body, it has RW scored out which means the classic 60s jazzes and the roadworn are one and the same. The roadworns are just classic 60s given a bit of a kicking in the factory.
[/quote]

They're not. The bodies and headstocks (RW) are thinner. Although you might have a RW neck - check the headstock thickness to check (Fender markings are a bit hit or miss).