Why become a member? ×

JJ and The Stranglers on tour - bassist extraordinaire

The Dark Lord

[attachment=102910:JJ.jpg]

A load of you probably know that the Stranglers are on tour and have an album in the charts for the first time in ages. New album is full of very strong material.

But look, surely there is no other man out there who has done more for the cause of bass and getting people to pick up and play a bass.

I saw him and the band on the Portsmouth and Brighton dates of the tour last week. The guy is an absolute legend. Cool as you like. None of this stand at the back accompanying the guitarist or complementing the singer for him. Nope, his bass is right up there in the front of the mix driving the song. In many cases, The Stranglers' songs were developed from bass riffs.

If you can get along to any of the remaining dates of the tour - then do it.

My BiL used to run an entertainments company, organising corporate bashes and the like. He booked the Stranglers for one such event and Mrs FF spent an enjoyable evening 'behind the scenes' before their set just chatting to them. She had been a fan since seeing them in the 70s at the Woolwich Tramshed. She said they were a very friendly bunch. Unfortunately, I couldn't be there, which i've often regretted.

Totally agree with the previous comments about the band being built around strong basslines. Legendary stuff.

Edited by flyfisher

I was also at Bristol on Saturday night-third year in a row I've seen them there. Cracking gig-and the most packed I've seen the Academy. Sadly the great man Jet Black is ill, and his drum tech Ian Barnard stood in for him, but I thought Ian did a fantastic job. I can't say the new album blew me away at first, but I'm definitely getting into it now. Was delighted to hear 'Tank', one of my favourites, for the first time in about 20 years.