Why become a member? ×

Odd looking Yamaha just popped up

Paul S

Sort of SG shaped - as in the Yamaha SG

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290685767045?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290685767045?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649[/url]

Anyone know anything about these?

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1332094349' post='1583153']
I especially love that they've used the Yamaha wheel logo. Adds a little mysticism!
[/quote]

The "wheel" logo is actually a reference to Yamaha's musical roots - it's three crossed tuning forks. Also to be found on their motorcycles.

• 2 years later...

Well guys, the info that you found on the net about this bass was probably one of my postings on another site. These basses are really rare and I cannot believe how cheap that one sold for. It's real value aught to be £1000+ and then some. Needless to say I own one of these SB-35's and wont part with it. The problem with the valuation of these basses is that they are so rare that not many people have ever seen one and information on these just doesn't exist, even from Yamaha. I bought mine a few years ago from a local flee market. I saw it stuck in a box of other brick a brack and I immediately honed in on it. It was in a bit of a very well used state and I bought it from the trader for £45. I remember seeing one of these basses (just one ever) during the early 70's in a local music shop that was stocking the new Yamaha SG range. This was the bass version of the range and obviously didn't sell as well at the time as did the SG2000 guitar and the like. Being a repair luthier, I renovated it back to a good playing state and I searched on the net to find information about it (I didn't even know the model name). The only thing that I found was a post on a forum a couple years ealier, from a guy in the States that had bought one second hand and was asking if anyone knew what it was (no one replied to him). By chance I found a guy who was a Yamaha rep during the 70's who knew everything about these basses.... Neck - Maple, Body - Katsura, 31.5" scale, single pickup, made between 1972-75. It's really heavy and for a medium scale it has a great ding. It's really different to other basses and a delight to play. If you ever find one of these for sale anywhere near the price of the one in the original posting.... TAKE THEIR ARM OFF! (and if you don't want it, tell me)