Why become a member? ×

Fret polishing

essexbasscat

One for the luthier types

After levelling frets, many luthiers crown the newly ground frets with a fret file, creating a rounded contact surface. The newly rounded frets are then often polished with fine grade wire wool, typically 000 or 0000 to remove any tooling marks.

However, that's not always the case. I've come across more than a few basses and heaps of guitars with flat areas at the point where the fret meets the string. Les Pauls come to mind straight away.

Does anyone know how the freshly ground flat fret surface can be polished without taking all week while maintaining the newly ground tolerances ?

I usually use a straight beam with sandpaper attached to grind the frets flat, but I recall someone mentioning that jewellers polishing compound can be used. If this is so, how is it used with a long flat beam ?

Thanks all

EBC

I use these [url="http://www.raygrahams.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=96049"]http://www.raygrahams.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=96049[/url] get the finest grade they have,

First I smooth the blocks themselves by rubbing them together or on some 250 wet and dry sheet. This takes any high spots off the blocks, Next mask up the board, Then with very light pressure I rub the block quickly over the frets. Being flexible they will remove the sharp edge on the fret whilst at the same time polishing the top. It took me a while to get the technique right ater some practice, so if you have an old bass collecting dust I suggest flattng off the frets in your usual manner and then practice this technique on it. I don't like using wire wool as it gets everywhere in my small workshop.

Paul

Now that look like a cheap workable solution to the problem ! :)

Does anyone know how the manufacturers do it ? Somehow, I can't see a row of flat - capped old geezers smoking woodbines standing at guitar benches flattening off frets in the Gibson factory all day. Well, not these days anyway.

Edited by essexbasscat

[quote name='essexbasscat' timestamp='1332014887' post='1582197']

Does anyone know how the manufacturers do it ? Somehow, I can't see a row of flat - capped old geezers smoking woodbines standing at guitar benches flattening off frets in the Gibson factory all day. Well, not these days anyway.
[/quote]

From the recent Gibsons I've looked at, they just don't bother. The stick a Gibson decal on the headstock an call it good. I do the same as above. I've shine up nickel frets with T-cut on a cloth, just because I had a cloth with T-cut on from other jobs, worked pretty well, imagine stainless steel frets are too hard to benefit much from that.

[/quote]

That is however a pretty accurate description of me ! roll ups though, not woodbines.... :lol:

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1332015270' post='1582200']

From the recent Gibsons I've looked at, they just don't bother. The stick a Gibson decal on the headstock an call it good. I do the same as above. I've shine up nickel frets with T-cut on a cloth, just because I had a cloth with T-cut on from other jobs, worked pretty well, imagine stainless steel frets are too hard to benefit much from that.
[/quote]

Those stainless steel frets can bounce right off my front door ....

Does anyone know how the manufacturers do it ?
[/quote]

Well, a modern method seems to be something called Plek where the guitar is held in a clamp while a computer measures the frets, relief of neck etc and works out the optimun fret height and automatically dresses them. I don't trust it though. My new bass from a well respected maker was apparently set up this way. After a few days of messing around trrying to get the action down while avoiding excess buzzing I took the bass to my friendly neighbourhood Luthier who after half an hour with the allen keys concluded the action was still a little higher than they'd normally set it and the bass would benefit from a fret dress.

Technology? Pffffft. Give me Woodbine smoking wearers of long brown overcoats and flat caps any day.

[quote name='essexbasscat' timestamp='1332022945' post='1582351']
Thing is, in theory they should work well, but then again...
[/quote]

Depends strongly on the grasp of theory the person programming it has. They might believe the torrents of faux-technical BS about guitar setups you see reposted on the internet.

I've sometimes used a low tech approach (I think it came from an old booklet by Rob Armstrong). Once the frets are level (and flat topped) wrap a small piece of fine sandpaper around two fingers and rub over the whole fingerboard. Does a surprisingly good job of returning the frets to a more rounded profile, ready for a final polish. I hate flat top frets...looks unfinished.

[quote name='BassBod' timestamp='1332062557' post='1582584']
I've sometimes used a low tech approach (I think it came from an old booklet by Rob Armstrong). Once the frets are level (and flat topped) wrap a small piece of fine sandpaper around two fingers and rub over the whole fingerboard. Does a surprisingly good job of returning the frets to a more rounded profile, ready for a final polish. I hate flat top frets...looks unfinished.
[/quote]

I can see how that would work, I'm just a bit surprised that technique doesn't created uneveness along the length of the fretboard. Glad it works for you though :)

Thanks Prosebass BTW, your basses look interesting. Shame we're not any closer, I'd love to have a long chat with you about building and maintaining stuff. Do you go to any bass shows ?

Mr Foxen - I'm really wondering if we should open another thread to discuss the topic of beliefs and wisdom when it comes to levelling frets, setting up basses / guitars etc.
I know it's been done before, but there still seems to be widespread potential for debate around the subject, as you rightly say, so many people disagree on the pros and cons. Especiall around the PLEK machine :ph34r:

[quote name='essexbasscat' timestamp='1332002800' post='1582005']
One for the luthier types

After levelling frets, many luthiers crown the newly ground frets with a fret file, creating a rounded contact surface. The newly rounded frets are then often polished with fine grade wire wool, typically 000 or 0000 to remove any tooling marks.

However, that's not always the case. I've come across more than a few basses and heaps of guitars with flat areas at the point where the fret meets the string. Les Pauls come to mind straight away.

Does anyone know how the freshly ground flat fret surface can be polished without taking all week while maintaining the newly ground tolerances ?

I usually use a straight beam with sandpaper attached to grind the frets flat, but I recall someone mentioning that jewellers polishing compound can be used. If this is so, how is it used with a long flat beam ?

Thanks all

EBC
[/quote]

http://www.ss-sci.com/micromesh.htm
Try getting this stuff....I use it a lot

Best method I use is from Patrick Eggle - wrap an old cotton t-shrt tightly round a cork sanding block, then rub onto the cloth some jewellers polish - you know the hard polish compound that comes in a stick like a hard wax candle? You can then attack the fretboard with gusto, no fear of scratching or damaging the wood, brings up the frets beautifully after only a minute. You then need to wipe off the fretboard with a rag and some lem-oil. Job done.

[quote name='essexbasscat' timestamp='1332068840' post='1582668']
Thanks Prosebass BTW, your basses look interesting. Shame we're not any closer, I'd love to have a long chat with you about building and maintaining stuff. Do you go to any bass shows ?
[/quote]
I used to do the basschat get togethers but to be honest several hours of slapping and 'lets see who has the loudest amp' used to do my head in.
The main problem is being a small producer and trying my best to offer inexpensive basses they all get sold within a week or so of finishining them so I never have any stock built up , but I am trying to rectify that and should attend the bashes again.

The brown smock has been pensioned off....

[quote name='Al Heeley' timestamp='1332070738' post='1582709']
Best method I use is from Patrick Eggle - wrap an old cotton t-shrt tightly round a cork sanding block, then rub onto the cloth some jewellers polish - you know the hard polish compound that comes in a stick like a hard wax candle? You can then attack the fretboard with gusto, no fear of scratching or damaging the wood, brings up the frets beautifully after only a minute. You then need to wipe off the fretboard with a rag and some lem-oil. Job done.
[/quote]

Must try this thanks Al

[quote name='essexbasscat' timestamp='1332068840' post='1582668']
I know it's been done before, but there still seems to be widespread potential for debate around the subject, as you rightly say, so many people disagree on the pros and cons. Especiall around the PLEK machine :ph34r:
[/quote]

Room for debate is most of the problem, most of it is down to fairly simple physics which isn't negotiable, but lots of people think applying science means 'ignore as many variables as you can'. PLEK machine doesn't watch the player playing, or ask them any questions.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1332072151' post='1582738']
PLEK machine doesn't watch the player playing, or ask them any questions.
[/quote]

Good point. What may be a beautifully set up bass for one player may be totally unplayable for another. In my view there's no substitute for a human being with twenty years experience who was in turn trained by someone else with another twenty or so years behind them

Once you've stoned the frets, use the finest wet & dry paper you can find and using it dry, go across the frets until the stoning marks are gone. Then use the finest wire wool you can find and again go across the frets. The use T Cut the make the frets shine. Job done. Somewhere like Car Crazy or Halfords should sell what you need. Hope this helps.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' timestamp='1332121157' post='1583670']
If you are using wire wool, and have a spare speaker magnet or similar about, (spare as in will never be used again) leave it underneath the neck you are working on and it will gather the filings that are the inevitable result of using wire wool.
[/quote]

Handy tip that, good idea

Edited by essexbasscat