Why become a member? ×

so i've got my first gig on DB this friday

artisan

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1331889784' post='1580341']
Good luck for tonight!

I just rest mine on the upper bout of my bass - works a treat.
[/quote]
cheers Rev
LOL that's the only way i can get near my bass :laugh1:

Edited by artisan

Good stuff! Can't deny playing this thing brings out the show off in anyone. I never tire of the looks you get carrying it into a gig, then all the second looks when what comes out the speakers not chamber music but that huge ground shaking clatter, and yes it's so physical and dynamic to play people just have to watch. I love playing this thing, however mediocre i am.

hi,it went pretty well really especially after Mr Bassman (a.k.a. Keith) arrived & sorted out my sound spiking/feedback issues--mega thanks for that Keith.
i had aweful feedback problems during the first set where i daren't let any notes run on for more than a second or so which left me a tad uncomfortable & stressed,so didn't really enjoy the fist set to be honest.
During the interval Keith arrived & promptly sorted out my problems (big big thank you Keith) so the second set was much more fun & i really began to enjoy it,although i began to get tired half way through.
all in all a good night,my bass played really well & gave an awesome sound,i even did a little simple slapping which i was quite pleased with.
but without the help from Keith the night may have been a disaster so thanks again Keith.

p.s. how did the video's turn out Keith,will I be embarrased to see them :blush:

[quote name='PaulKing' timestamp='1331990319' post='1581793']
Good stuff! Can't deny playing this thing brings out the show off in anyone. I never tire of the looks you get carrying it into a gig, then all the second looks when what comes out the speakers not chamber music but that huge ground shaking clatter, and yes it's so physical and dynamic to play people just have to watch. I love playing this thing, however mediocre i am.
[/quote]

a big +1 i got some looks just carrying it into the venue.
i just love playing mine too,the poor old BG just sits & collects dust now.

[quote name='artisan' timestamp='1332158128' post='1583965']i just love playing mine too,the poor old BG just sits & collects dust now. [/quote]

Whilst pretty much all of my gigs are on DB, I still practice electric more than DB. I suppose that accounts for my somewhat dubious intonation :unsure:

I don't know about you guys, but I don't look at BG v DB as a competition. They are two equally important/fun sides of the same coin. I tend to play songs that require 5 strings on my BG and songs that are happy on 4 strings, with the occasional transposition, on the upright. It's a way of keeping practice fresh, and of using my muscles in different ways.

Edited by bluejay

[quote name='TPJ' timestamp='1332160816' post='1584002']
Whilst pretty much all of my gigs are on DB, I still practice electric more than DB. I suppose that accounts for my somewhat dubious intonation :unsure:
[/quote]

Something's wrong with the universe - I practise DB daily but have only gigged it once in the last 6 months, I'm always on bass guitar which I never touch at home. :/

[quote name='TPJ' timestamp='1332160816' post='1584002']
[/quote]

lol i've cheated & stuck some side position markers on,done wonders for my confidence playing the beast.

[quote name='artisan' timestamp='1332163479' post='1584059']
lol i've cheated & stuck some side position markers on,done wonders for my confidence playing the beast.
[/quote]

I do the same, although because i do Rabbath fingering mostly, they're actually marking thumb positions.

I reckon that the snooty view of markers is misplaced. If you're a classical player or jazzer, you're not going to move around much, so the arm angle stays the same. Do a bit of rockabilly posing and you can't rely on that; markers help to reorientate yourself imo.

As for BG, i found the same as you. Didn't touch the thing for a year. Now though i find it's useful for trying out new theory-based stuff cos I can sit there and noodle until i understand what I'm doing. Feels like playing a toy though.