Why become a member? ×

Any Musicman Cutlass I owners out there?

legoman

I've been the owner of a Musicman Cutlass I for over 15 years now (having stumbled across one for sale at the Gallery in Camden) which has proven to be one hell of a servant over the years (and probably one of the nicest basses I've ever played) but I recall some years ago that it was mentioned to me that only 10 Cutlass I's ever made it over to the UK and that one was destroyed in a fire so only 9 remained in circulation here??

Having recently joined BC it got me wondering if there were any members who currently or have owned one, especially in the UK as whilst I took the above comment with a pinch of salt, since I've had mine I've never seen another one in the flesh ever, but have seen a few other pre EB Musicman bass models, so wondered if there was any truth in their alleged rarity in Blighty?

Here's a pic of my Cutlass I, along with my recent Marcus Miller Fender Jazz acquisition...(click to enlarge)

[attachment=102450:IMAG0319.jpg]

As you can see mine has had the 3 band EQ mod (which was done before I bought it) and has a wickedly low action, which is great for a skinny fingered ham fister like me :)

Dave

Edited by legoman

[quote name='legoman' timestamp='1331687594' post='1577331']
I've been the owner of a Musicman Cutlass I for over 15 years now (having stumbled across one for sale at the Gallery in Camden) which has proven to be one hell of a servant over the years (and probably one of the nicest basses I've ever played) but I recall some years ago that it was mentioned to me that only 10 Cutlass I's ever made it over to the UK and that one was destroyed in a fire so only 9 remained in circulation here??
[/quote]

I'm not sure how credible that claim is... I've an infrequent visitor to guitar/bass shops and have seen a couple for sale.

[quote name='dlloyd' timestamp='1331721457' post='1577562']
I'm not sure how credible that claim is... I've an infrequent visitor to guitar/bass shops and have seen a couple for sale.
[/quote]

Yeah I'm sure you're right as it seemed a bit odd, but it came from what I'd consider a reliable source at the old Bass Centre in Wapping so I didn't dismiss it out of hand....unless I caught them on a wind up!

Guest Jecklin

I spent a good hour playing a cutlass at the wapping bass centre back in 1999.
I couldn't get over how different it seemed to a 'ray, edit>>> but I'm now losing confidence in believing it wasn't a cutlass II, which would explain a substantial difference in sound.

Whatever, it was gloss black and slightly roadworn, but very appealing because of it.

Lovely basses and this spurns me on to desire a Status neck on a more modern ray...

Ah well.

I've owned three, a Cutlass 1, a Cutlass II and a Cutlass 1 ex Cliff Williams with thru body string anchoring and three bolt neck. Have yet to find one capable of supplying low action but I live in hope...

...do you have any pics of the marker numbers written on the heel of the neck on your instrument?

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1331794223' post='1578826']
I've owned three, a Cutlass 1, a Cutlass II and a Cutlass 1 ex Cliff Williams with thru body string anchoring and three bolt neck. Have yet to find one capable of supplying low action but I live in hope...

...do you have any pics of the marker numbers written on the heel of the neck on your instrument?
[/quote]

Hi Kiwi,

I don't have any to hand unfortunately. Would I be correct in assuming that I'd need to unbolt the neck from the body to access these marker numbers?

[quote name='legoman' timestamp='1331810105' post='1579139']
I don't have any to hand unfortunately. Would I be correct in assuming that I'd need to unbolt the neck from the body to access these marker numbers?
[/quote]

Yes, that's correct. :)

Hello! I have a Cutlass 1 too. B)

I bought mine from the Bass Centre in Wapping in 1991 - just walked in there one day, saw it hanging on the wall and had to have it.

Mine's black and it's a 1983 model - so not strung through the body and with a 4-bolt neck.

[attachment=103033:Cutlass I.jpg]

Years ago I remember talking to a guy from Strings & Things - UK distributor for MM gear - and he told me that 12 Cutlasses were only ever imported to the UK.

The only other guy I've met who has owned one was Paul Raven of Killing Joke - he played mine and asked if I wanted to sell it to him as mine was in much better condition than his. The answer was a resounding "NO!"
:lol:

Edited by matski

[quote name='pierreganseman' timestamp='1332187426' post='1584602']
Kiwi i have your ex cuttlass one :)
[/quote]
Awesome! Nice to know its gone to a good home Pierre. :)

[quote name='matski' timestamp='1332236701' post='1585109']
Years ago I remember talking to a guy from Strings & Things - UK distributor for MM gear - and he told me that 12 Cutlasses were only ever imported to the UK.[/quote]
New? I can believe that. But if it's out of a total of 600 made, I'm sure there must have been secondhand imports as well.

[quote name='matski' timestamp='1332236701' post='1585109']
Mine's black and it's a 1983 model - so not strung through the body and with a 4-bolt neck.
[/quote]
Can you achieve low action on it? That is, action low enough where you can't slide a 1 quid coin between the frets and the strings without making contact?

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1332302457' post='1586358'] Can you achieve low action on it? That is, action low enough where you can't slide a 1 quid coin between the frets and the strings without making contact? [/quote]

Ermmm, I don't know how thick a £1 coin is, to be honest - I left the UK in '96 and don't have any laying around - but the gap between the top of the last fret and the string is around 3mm.

I'm not a fan of super low action anyways, so it suits me. :D

BTW is that 600 number you mentioned an official figure for how many Cutlasses were made? I always wondered how many there were out there...

[quote name='matski' timestamp='1332319401' post='1586436']
the gap between the top of the last fret and the string is around 3mm.
[/quote]
And the gap around the 12th fret? Problem with the cutlass necks was that the phenolic resin on the fingerboard wasn't stiff enough to resist string tension. All 5 I've either owned or played so far have had the same issue. I've never found one that wasn't from 1983 or 84 either.

[quote name='matski' timestamp='1332319401' post='1586436']
BTW is that 600 number you mentioned an official figure for how many Cutlasses were made? I always wondered how many there were out there...
[/quote]
Yes, an estimate for Cutlass 1 basses. There were 300 Cutlass II's made.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1332302457' post='1586358']

Can you achieve low action on it? That is, action low enough where you can't slide a 1 quid coin between the frets and the strings without making contact?
[/quote]

Hi Kiwi,

I haven't had the balls to dismantle the neck cos my action on mine is nice and low and I have a feeling if I do unbolt it that it'll never be as it is now! I don't have a ruler to hand but do have a 50p coin, which I can only slide between around the 13th to 21st frets without pushing up the strings (and between these frets the coin is flush with the strings all along) so I guess I might be a bit lucky with my neck!

Hello there !

Here is mine !( natural finish, top load bridge ; late 82/early 83).
Action is really low on it without too much frizzs ( but could be even lower if neck wasn't a bit bowed , but nothing serious!)
Sounds killer when tweeter is turned off on my hartke cabs

I may sell it for a need of $$ ( i'm hoping i won't have to ! :/)

[attachment=105253:DSC08049.JPG]

Edited by Manfred741