Why become a member? ×

Status neck vs Modulus

Golchen

I've found they feel very similar in terms of stiffness. Shapewise, the Modulus necks feel thinner/shallower on the 5 and 6 string instruments which I'm not too comfortable with. The Sonic Hammer was very nice - lovely low action on it. Status necks have varied from quite chunky on early models to squarish on early 90s to fairly slick on the King basses. Also very low action.

Both status and modulus have had issues with neck warping however because of the fingerboard stiffness. I think Status have switched to foam filled cores though on their stock basses which dampens the overtones nicely. Modulus necks still sound a bit clattery, not helped by being paired with ash bodies for the most part. If you're going for a Modulus neck, get the grenadillo fingerboard option.

Both status and modulus have had issues with neck warping however because of the fingerboard stiffness. I think Status have switched to foam filled cores though on their stock basses which dampens the overtones nicely. Modulus necks still sound a bit clattery, not helped by being paired with ash bodies for the most part. If you're going for a Modulus neck, get the grenadillo fingerboard option.
[/quote]

It's interesting to read your comments above regarding Modulus necks. Can you shed any further light on the background to such occurrences as in the last 10 years of working closely with Modulus as their exclusive UK distributor we have never experienced this with any of our customers here in the UK and Europe.

Granadillo has always been an option that customers have opted for more for aesthethic reasons that anything else as we also have not experienced any issues with the composite fingerboards either. We have many Quantum and Flea instrument owners with the standard Modulus composite fingerboard who are and have been extremely chuffed at the quality and sonic performance of their necks. The most usual feedback we receive is that the intonation produced by a Modulus neck is nothing short of superb and almost synthesizer like in its precision and definition.

To balance the cut (which again our customers love) that is such a recognisable part of the Modulus carbon fibre neck sound we generally recommend an Aguilar preamp which we are very familiar with as we first imported the OBP-1 when it was launched).

But then sound and tone is a matter of personal musical taste and subjective as what is fab with one bass player will not the be the case with another...the eternal story amongst musicians not forgetting the myriad of musical genres that we either love or hate!

Just some thoughts...

Ciao

Ian

[quote name='Golchen' post='174032' date='Apr 10 2008, 05:24 PM']I've never got my hands on a Modulus bass to try it. I was just wondering how their graphite necks compare to Status ones? Do they feel similar to play or are they a different beast altogether?[/quote]

I'll try and help with what we certainly know about the Modulus neck. Cosmetically they do look quite dissimilar from their UK counterparts as Modulus use a very much different pattern of carbon fibre when they 'lay' the neck.

If you're familiar with any engineering work from say F1 cars the twisted neat fibre lays in the carbon fibre mouldings is the same finish and pattern that Status uses.

Modulus uses a pattern called KLD (known in-house as a 'Thousand Ladies Dancing') to give a more organic look to the neck which many prefer from an aesthetic point. It certainly makes the necks look less like a product of an engineering house and more akin to a musical instrument; the pattern also give the necks a truly unique look much the same way as the grain in a wooden neck is unique from neck to neck.

The finish on the neck can be specified as a gloss finish or satin finish. Modulus report that the satin finish is increasingly popular and comes as standard if specified at no extra cost.

I visited the Modulus factory nearly three years ago now and we have been truly amazed at the quality of the the neck and their finish in every detail. It was explained that the guy in the factory that fretted each and every neck had been doing so for the past 12 years (a Vietnamese immigrant worker) and that's all he did and that's all he liked doing and it shows! He produces simply some of the best fretwork we have ever experienced and the necks in general really are some of the very best bass guitar necks that we have worked with period.

In conjunction with our work with the SimS Custom Shop and their customisation and reto-fit L.E.D. work we have seen probably most of the best basses in the world and seen in detail how they are constructed and finished and I have to say that the quality that we have experienced in the past 10 years with all our sales of Modulus basses have been simply excellent and a joy to work with.

Customers often express their appreciation of this soon after delivery, that the neck is just the best they have ever used and are just over the moon. It would be true to say that in the last 10 years we have never received any negative feedback about these superb necks. 'Exceeding all expectations' is the usual response and feedback we receive.

I hope the above helps.

If you need any further info just ask.

Just some thoughts...

Ciao

Ian

Edited by SMART

I'm going to have to agree totally with everything that SMART has said, my Modulus bass is fantastic, the neck never moves, I play it for at least 4 hours every day, and the action is the same every time I pick it up.

I have previously owned Alembics, Wals, Jaydees, Seis, Roscoes, and my Modulus is THE best, the build quality is second to none.

I have the satin finish on my neck.

I thought most bodies were Alder, Ash is a recent option that they're added, and one that I've chosen for my new fretless, at least that's what I was told by Modulus when I enquired, and I'm talking about the Quantum model.

[url="http://www.modulusguitars.com/v2/products/quantum/index.html"]http://www.modulusguitars.com/v2/products/quantum/index.html[/url]

My bass is set up super low, I hadn't noticed it being clattery, it has a great warm sound to it, not at all like you'd expect.

Edited by 6stringbassist

Thanks for some comprehensive answers there! certainly plenty to think about. I'm fishing for another bass right now, and really like my Status, but there seems to be more Modulii (?) knocking around generally so I thought I might check them out.

[quote name='Golchen' post='175160' date='Apr 12 2008, 01:41 PM']Thanks for some comprehensive answers there! certainly plenty to think about. I'm fishing for another bass right now, and really like my Status, but there seems to be more Modulii (?) knocking around generally so I thought I might check them out.[/quote]

In addition to the above, the only other way I try and explain the 'thang' about a Modulus instrument is that it seems to balance both the past and the modern regarding design and technology, so you have a comfortable feel with the past and its legacy regarding the ever still importance of wood and its design for the body and a fantastic modern approach to solving all the problems inherent with using wood for the neck by using carbon fibre and the addition of modern pickup and preamp design.

I think Modulus have achieved that balance making the best of the past and the now. It\s one of the many reasons why we have so many really happy customers!

Just some thoughts...

Ciao

Ian

Something else to remember about a Modulus over a Status is the choice of pickups and electronics that you get when ordering.

I have bart pickups on my fretted (soon to be changed to Q-tuners), and an East preamp, my fretless is having Barts and a Bart pre,

With Status you get Status pickups and a Status pre, I don't know if the Status pickups are readily interchangeable with other makes, but it's something to think about.

I'm not knocking Status here, I'm actually thinking about ordering a 6 string Kingbass later in the year.

The difference between Modulus and Status necks lies in personal taste to start with. The method of making the necks is different between the two companies. The neck part (contribution) can only be judged when coupled with a body. I've tried several graphite necked basses (and guitars) and so far, my choice has been Status, but then again it is a matter of taste (and not a matter of inferiority or superiority)

Hey Smart, I am PM-ing you regarding a matter that you may be of help

[quote name='SMART' post='175114' date='Apr 12 2008, 12:25 PM']It's interesting to read your comments above regarding Modulus necks. Can you shed any further light on the background to such occurrences as in the last 10 years of working closely with Modulus as their exclusive UK distributor we have never experienced this with any of our customers here in the UK and Europe.

Granadillo has always been an option that customers have opted for more for aesthethic reasons that anything else as we also have not experienced any issues with the composite fingerboards either. We have many Quantum and Flea instrument owners with the standard Modulus composite fingerboard who are and have been extremely chuffed at the quality and sonic performance of their necks. The most usual feedback we receive is that the intonation produced by a Modulus neck is nothing short of superb and almost synthesizer like in its precision and definition.[/quote]

Hi Ian
I'm sure many your customers ARE satisfied, I'd imagine a lot of what they hear on stage has been affected to a greater or lesser degree by their choice of backline and their expectations.

This '97 (IIRC) fretless had a neck shaped like a banana I'm sorry to say. Its an old one so no truss rod either. It had a medium weight alder body and actually sounded quite nice with the Bartolini electronics - the first time I've ever felt Bartolini's actually made a bass sound better! :huh:

This is the '94 fretted version It had a good neck although it lacked warmth because the alder body was too light and had an EMG pick up. It sounded quite nice through an SWR amp too but I didn't actually discover that until I'd taken the bass into the shop to sell on commission :). On reflection, I wish I'd tried an Aguilar OBP-1 preamp with it, I think it would have enhanced and shaped the natural sound of the bass nicely.

The '96 Sonic Hammer I imported had an ash body and was fearsome. Sounded better with Seymore Duncan pickup and pre than the Bartolini pick up it came with though. It made carnal and filthy love to any amp powered by valves and had a neck which was as straight as an arrow. Its now the stuff of Basschat legend :huh: I sold it because it was too aggressive for the music I played but it did set a standard of sorts.

Hopefully Modulus will have sorted the phenolic recipe by now, I know that Status have. ;)

Still, in my experience wooden fingerboards do have less clatter and on some phenolic necks too but not all by any means. I wouldn't say the analogy of being like a synth applies in my own experience, the characteristic Modulus sound that I recognise from both my own instruments and also listening to bands like the Dave Matthews Band is one which lacks lower mid grunt on the E and A strings (despite the B string sending the power indicator on my multiplug off the scale) but has plenty of growl. However the character I've described varies according to the kind of wood used in the body (also, in my experience of owning about 8 graphite necked instruments and having played countless more including Vigier, Status, Steinberger, Zon and Basslab).

[quote name='fullrangebass' post='175401' date='Apr 12 2008, 08:11 PM']The method of making the necks is different between the two companies.[/quote]
This is interesting. Care to shed any more light on these differences? I have an idea of how the necks on my own basses were made and I've been to see Rob Green and how the latest batch of Status necks are made (the ones with the foam core). They seem pretty similar to me.

[quote name='fullrangebass' post='175401' date='Apr 12 2008, 08:11 PM']The neck part (contribution) can only be judged when coupled with a body[/quote]
I couldn't agree more, as you can probably guess from my comment earlier in this post. When coupled to a graphite neck, I've found the tonal characteristics of the body become that much more influential on the overall basic sound of the instrument.

FWIW, I don't think enough manufacturers are exploring other wood options apart from the standard ash which can tend to sound too brittle to my ears. I wouldn't mind seeing someone trialling a graphite necked bass with a body from a soft or heavy sounding wood like bubinga. Something that tames the highs and preserves/enhances the lows and mids a bit more.

In short I guess I've been a bit frustrated in one way or another with pretty much every graphite necked bass I've ever played, with the exception of the '79 Alembic I own (which has an ebony fingerboard). If it hasn't been the necks bowing then the bass concerned has had a sterile sound. If my Cutlass basses had dead straight necks and came in a 5 string version I'd be very content. However that's a saga in itself where EB/MM are concerned, its not like they haven't been petitioned already.

I really wish someone would produce an affordable graphite necked 5 string bass that sounded warm and had a dead straight straight neck! ;) (Something headless, wide bodied and lightweight too, while I'm day dreaming away here).

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='175411' date='Apr 12 2008, 10:36 PM']FWIW, I don't think enough manufacturers are exploring other wood options apart from the standard ash which can tend to sound too brittle to my ears. I wouldn't mind seeing someone trialling a graphite necked bass with a body from a soft or heavy sounding wood like bubinga. Something that tames the highs and preserves/enhances the lows and mids a bit more.[/quote]

I agree with the ash observation (esp the light ash). I've had 5 Status basses so far and the heavy ash was very explosinve as well as other wood combos that I've tried and liked. I think that a bubinga bodied graphite necked bass would sound too "spunky". IME a walnut body is the absolute medium for such a bass

[quote name='fullrangebass' post='175417' date='Apr 12 2008, 08:54 PM']I think that a bubinga bodied graphite necked bass would sound too "spunky".[/quote]
Wots spunky?! :)

My Smith 6 had a walnut body and tbh, my Smith 5 with a mahogany body sounded growlier and warmer. I've owned a few instruments with large proportions of mahogany in them (and played both MacDaddy's old Shuker and Urb's Chapman fretless) and they've all sounded warm and growly. If there was some way of pairing that to a graphite neck I think I'd probably be content. :huh:

Yo

I bought my 97 Flea from Marcus and it's fitted with an Aguilar OBP-3 Pre -amp.

It is of course the absolute untimate Flea ( :) ).

I'd just like to add to the discussion that the neck is really good, 11 yrs old, no problems at all, no trussrod no worries etc. In fact good is definately an understatement.

Clattery? The most single significant thing about this bass to my mind, bar none, is the fact that all the benefits of a 'perfect' neck are there with real warmth of tone.

I keep on wanting to pop an ACG pre-amp in though, just to experience that incredible tone on the most playable of necks. Anyone want to make me an offer on the Agui?

Peter

Edited by GreeneKing

BTW, I'm not Modulus bashing, I'm making the point that I don't think ANY current manufacturer has yet managed to exploit the full potential of these necks to deliver the velvet glove experience. All that firmness in the mids, the growl and lows without the upper end rawness. The Status Stealth and the older graphite necked Vigier Passions are closest though

But anyway, thats getting a bit OT. Let me rattle the cage of the guys on the status forum and Steve Lawson to see if they have anything to add.

You called? :)

Not much to add other than that yes, Modulus have had a couple of basses with warped necks, but in every case I know about they replaced it, and had no more trouble. I've not had any trouble with mine - my string bass has been set up 4 times in 15 years - when I got it, when I changed string brand first time, when I had it completely remodelled by Martin Peterson and then the second string brand change. That's it.

I've played status basses that I love the sound and feel of, and others that did nothing for me, same as with Modulus. I do think that for what I do, what I hear in my head, what I want from an instrument, there isn't a bass on the planet that I'd rather have than my 6 string fretless. That doesn't mean it's objectively 'the best' bass, as such a thing clearly doesn't exist, but getting this bass cured me of just about any gear lust I may ever have had, and removed any gear-related excuse I ever had for my music not sounding the way I want it to. :huh:

So try both - different basses with a different vibe that it'd be fairly futile for me to try and describe...

cheers

Steve

hmm, i been wondering about graphite necks for some time now ( ireally wanted a status for a long time but went off the idea for nothing more than the price). however i would be interested to know how one of these necks would sound on a mahogany body with the inherent warmth of the wood with the cut of the graphite, would consider replacing my wenge bubinga neck on my ibby.

Edited by lowhand_mike

[quote name='lowhand_mike' post='176885' date='Apr 15 2008, 10:29 AM']hmm, i been wondering about graphite necks for some time now ( ireally wanted a status for a long time but went off the idea for nothing more than the price). however i would be interested to know how one of these necks would sound on a mahogany body with the inherent warmth of the wood with the cut of the graphite, would consider replacing my wenge bubinga neck on my ibby.[/quote]
You'd probably need to take a view on the neck pocket dimensions and whether one of the current after market necks would be likely to fit, I'd think.

[quote name='Golchen' post='177617' date='Apr 16 2008, 09:26 AM']I seem to recall that you advertised your dodgy neck fretless here a couple of years ago Crazykiwi. I almost considered buying it! Sure glad I didn't now![/quote]
Do you mean the modulus? I ended up getting the fingerboard planed by Rob Green before selling it on. So I made sure the bass was capable of being set up well for the new owner.