Why become a member? ×

Status neck vs Modulus

Golchen

I won't comment here on the Modulus necks, as I've never played one, although they seem to have plenty of fans on here.

One thing that will make a difference, especially on the Status through-necks is the fact that they lacquer the whole body/neck join with the same resin they originally bind the necks with. This makes the whole instrument resonate as one unit (to a certain extent).

As for some of the graphite necks warping... I know Rob added trussrods some time ago, but my original 1988 series II had one of the original solid necks. In 16 years of hard playing it never budged at all or caused any issues. This bass was left in car boots in severe sub-zero temperatures, toured in Canada in the winter, toured in the Middle East, etc. Never had a single problem with any form of neck warping.

I did, however, see a prototype Status neck at a place called Northworthy Guitars in Ashbourne, Derbyshire, which had gone slightly wrong & had bent into all sorts of weird angles! This was one of the really old necks from when Rob was outsourcing the graphite moulding, basically before Status made their own graphite necks.

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='177676' date='Apr 16 2008, 10:55 AM']Do you mean the modulus? I ended up getting the fingerboard planed by Rob Green before selling it on. So I made sure the bass was capable of being set up well for the new owner.[/quote]

Did you sell it through the Bass Centre? I tried one exactly like that a couple of years ago and there didn't appear to be anything wrong with the neck at all. In fact if it hadn't been such a hideous colour I may well have bought it! ;-)

[quote name='BigRedX' post='177861' date='Apr 16 2008, 01:35 PM']Did you sell it through the Bass Centre? I tried one exactly like that a couple of years ago and there didn't appear to be anything wrong with the neck at all. In fact if it hadn't been such a hideous colour I may well have bought it! ;-)[/quote]

Yeah, it was in the bass centre. I went and saw it there but was also put off by the colour!

[quote name='BigRedX' post='177861' date='Apr 16 2008, 01:35 PM']Did you sell it through the Bass Centre? I tried one exactly like that a couple of years ago and there didn't appear to be anything wrong with the neck at all. In fact if it hadn't been such a hideous colour I may well have bought it! ;-)[/quote]

[quote name='Golchen' post='178023' date='Apr 16 2008, 04:42 PM']Yeah, it was in the bass centre. I went and saw it there but was also put off by the colour![/quote]

Hehe, the colour wasn't to everyone's taste but some people on the forum liked it IIRC. Yes it got sold through the Bass Centre, it went pretty quickly as well - within 2 weeks I think. BTW, regarding the neck, although the fingerboard was planed, I had no way of knowing whether the neck would have continued to bow after I sold it on. Hopefully the neck has either reached some kind of equilibrium internally or gone to someone who likes medium to high action anyway.

I had a Modulus VJ a few years back, when I got it, the action was set too high, everything else looked fine, figured a good set up would sort it, then I discovered its lack of truss rod! Was never able to get it where I wanted it, suited a player who liked a higher action and heavier gauge strings. Very unfortunate though, as it was a nice sounding bass! It got sold and the buyer was happy!
Had lots of Statii over many years, love 'em, never had any issues with them, but not had very earlier, pre truss rod necks. Always like the feel of these necks, the slight flat across the back make a big difference IMHO!

Retroactive Jazz basses give me serious GAS, you just don't see too many around!

Tony

• 4 weeks later...

Hey.

Wandered in looking for something else....

Noticed the discussion of Modulus necks and what about different body woods.

Just for info I have a Quantum 6 Custom SPi that I got new in 1991 and it has the original no-truss rod neck (never a problem) and a body of mahogany with a cocobolo figured top.

So yes, combining the graphite neck with other woods results in a fabulous warm sound with clarity a plenty. Best bass I've ever had period.

drek

I had my graphite-necked Status Groove for 2 years and it barely went out of tune (no gigging) and played fantastically well out of the box. I never adjusted it once as it had a very similar action to my Warwick. I actually prefer the herringbone pattern of the Status graphite weave and love the way it catches the light giving a nice 3D depth to the finish. The Modulus finish just looks weird to me. People pay a lot to get exposed carbon fibre weave (like the Status) on their car's interior and exterior.

The Groove I had was alder bodied too and was (is) a great bass but I found I prefer passive dual pickup basses and sold it to Smash a few weeks ago. The neck was fantastic, if a little wide for me higher up as it was a Status MM type neck and I tend to prefer Jazz bass type necks.