Why become a member? ×

Just fitted an East Musicman Stringray preamp!

I had an East preamp put into my 2011 5 string Stingray Classic on Saturday and I can say is WOW!!!

Opted for the 3 band and the mid makes such a difference to the sound.

Sounds better than my '77 Stingray now - so much more grunt. If anyone has a Stingray I would highly recommend fitting one of these and to top it all John East is an absolute gent to deal with.

Happy days!

It's great isn't it?

Sometimes you hear good things about gear and when you get it is not quite what you had hoped for but this is just as good as everyone said.

Seriously thinking about putting one into my '74 jazz now!!

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1332189713' post='1584636']
Preaching to the converted, as far as I am concerned :)

I had the same reaction when I fitted one to my originally-2EQ in my avatar.
[/quote]

Do you mean between the 2 and 3 band East or the East and the standard Musicman pre-amp?

[quote name='Chris Horton' timestamp='1332195720' post='1584790']
I know this is a hard question to answer , but how would you describe the the tones and differences between the two ?
[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' timestamp='1332191970' post='1584699']
Seriously thinking about putting one into my '74 jazz now!!
[/quote]
Don't think, feeeeeeeeel!. East pre's in a Jazz are incredible. I've put them in both of mine and wouldn't be without them.

The only thing stopping me is that it is a 74 and it is nice to keep it as original as possible - sometimes that passive bass sound can be quite nice!

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1332201260' post='1584889']
Don't think, feeeeeeeeel!. East pre's in a Jazz are incredible. I've put them in both of mine and wouldn't be without them.
[/quote]

Well I would say that there is not much difference between the pre EB '77 Stingray and the East apart from the fact that it probably has a slightly more hi-fi or glossy sound if you know what I mean. But comparing the 2011 Classic pre-amp to the East they really are a mile apart, lots more bottom end and again just a really nice quality sound. I know it sounds a little odd but to me it did not really sound like a Stingray until I put the East pre-amp into it!

[quote name='Chris Horton' timestamp='1332229229' post='1584987']
Good point , what's The difference between the East pre and standard music man ?
[/quote]

[quote name='Chris Horton' timestamp='1332229229' post='1584987']
Good point , what's The difference between the East pre and standard music man ?
[/quote]

I think the difference is subtle, but it is a nice difference. To me it felt the JE was "tighter" on the lows, and the treble perhaps not as high, more useable. It *is* very similar. But the JE felt more "solid". I would not necessarily replace the original for a JE 2-band... but I would for a 3-band. That mids module is fantastic, which added to the 2-band just makes a really nice round package.

Agreed - the mids is where it is at!!

Not sure that I would see the point either in changing 2 band for 2 band but having said that I think that there is something in the East that just makes it sound so much more professional sounding. 3 band all the way though.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1332238557' post='1585154']
I think the difference is subtle, but it is a nice difference. To me it felt the JE was "tighter" on the lows, and the treble perhaps not as high, more useable. It *is* very similar. But the JE felt more "solid". I would not necessarily replace the original for a JE 2-band... but I would for a 3-band. That mids module is fantastic, which added to the 2-band just makes a really nice round package.
[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' timestamp='1332234114' post='1585053']
The only thing stopping me is that it is a 74 and it is nice to keep it as original as possible - sometimes that passive bass sound can be quite nice!
[/quote]

No mods, just drop the new bell plate straight in. It's got a bypass switch too, so if you really want to play passively then you can. I I reckon I should try to get a job selling these things!

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1332242109' post='1585258']
No mods, just drop the new bell plate straight in. It's got a bypass switch too, so if you really want to play passively then you can. I I reckon I should try to get a job selling these things!
[/quote]

As far as I know, there is no bypass switch on these. But you can ask for one to be added. My first MMSR has a push/pull volume pot that acts as a bypass switch. I was only charged a tiny bit extra to account for the different pot, about £10 or less I think.

But regarding the modification... indeed, it's a straight drop in, so you can keep the original safely and reinstall it later if you wish.

Yeah pretty tempted by this on the jazz. TBH I am not really sure that the switch is necessary as once you have the East sound why would you ever want to go back to passive?

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1332249311' post='1585492']

As far as I know, there is no bypass switch on these. But you can ask for one to be added. My first MMSR has a push/pull volume pot that acts as a bypass switch. I was only charged a tiny bit extra to account for the different pot, about £10 or less I think.

But regarding the modification... indeed, it's a straight drop in, so you can keep the original safely and reinstall it later if you wish.
[/quote]

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' timestamp='1332398597' post='1587645']
Yeah pretty tempted by this on the jazz. TBH I am not really sure that the switch is necessary as once you have the East sound why would you ever want to go back to passive?
[/quote]

Never had a battery go mid gig? It's a get out of jail free switch.

Touch wood - this has never happened to me. Obviously when using the Rumour it is no problem as the LED light lets me know the state of the battery at a quick glance but of course with a Stingray or jazz there is no such luxury!!

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1332404131' post='1587699']
[/quote]

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1332404131' post='1587699']

[/quote]

I prefer prevention. Batteries last a long time on those preamps. I just replace them before they go flat, they are not that expensive.

[quote name='Chris Horton' timestamp='1332195720' post='1584790']
I know this is a hard question to answer , but how would you describe the the tones and differences between the two ?
[/quote]

I have put the 3 band MMSR john East pre in my 95 Sterling bass.
Despite it not fitting properly and having some wiring difficulties (that were my fualt) it sounds incredible.
The sterling and stingray preamps are different slightly buit still sound inherently the same, I needed a new preamp and wasn't fussed about the coil switching.

I omitted the coil tap switch.

The preamp is very high quality and sounds it. I first heard one in a preEB stingray and wasn't impressed but as far as replacements go this is the best 'drop in' however now it's in and working it the best preamp I've heard. Sounds like a stingray preamp but a lot cleaner with a lot of headroom, the knobs have such a wide range you'll never feel like you need to boost anything to max.

The great thing is there is no centre detent and no true flat, so you don't get bogged down with thinking it needs to be flat etc, you move the knobs to where you think sounds best.

The mid option is the best part for me. it's the best midrange fuinction on anything I have used. Each frequency is very present, evben when you are touching the 100hz it doesn't get mixed up with the bass knob. when it's the mid is in it's centre detent it is like an off switch for it.

I boost the low side of the bmids just a touch as when using a pick it really adds that roundness that gets lost between a pick and fingers, especially on a musicman bass.

Very nice preamp, well worth the price.

• 2 weeks later...

Good point as I understand that 'Rays from even a few years ago sound different than the current ones.

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1333825334' post='1607114']
Any thoughts on the difference between the modern 3 band 'ray preamps (mine is '04) and the East?
[/quote]

Ha ha yes by some I think it is!

However I can honestly say that it is such an improvement on the original tone that I am thinking of doing the same to my jazz.

[quote name='kjb' timestamp='1333838019' post='1607312']
Isn't it considered heresy punishable by hideous torment to change a part on a stingray ?
[/quote]