Why become a member? ×

over rated bassists ?

jojoagogo234

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1331584652' post='1575437']
Ok, seeing as you really seem to have a real bee in your bonnet about anyone influencing anyone else (especially where you don't happen to like them), please clarify what you describe as "influencing somebody". To me, somebody who inspires someone else to pick up an instrument "influences somebody". Someone who has an impact on the way they play technically, or the way they create lines, or both, or more, "influences somebody". Flea certainly fits the first criteria and probably the others too. Also, why do you automatically assume that because someone says "so-and-so influenced a lot of people" that the person making the statement is automatically a fanboy? I acknowledge Jaco as one of the most influential bassists ever, but I'm not really much of a fan at all. Or can you not separate concept and preference?

My first bass influences were probably Lemmy, Phil Lynott and Gaye Advert. Gaye Advert you say? Yep. I saw a picture of her with a blue Rickenbacker and thought "how cool is that?" I'd never even heard her play, but in a sense she influenced me and my direction as a player, even if only in a small way.
[/quote]

No bees in my bunnet. Call me crazy but since 99.9% of folk on here are musicians, unbelievably on a musicians forum I would have thought it more than a tad obvious what kind of influence I was referring to. But since you've made a lot of fairly basic assumptions as to what i meant or what I should have meant & since you categorise "influence" so broadly I'll pass on answering your troll ITAWI.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1331585916' post='1575474']
No bees in my bunnet. Call me crazy but since 99.9% of folk on here are musicians, unbelievably on a musicians forum I would have thought it more than a tad obvious what kind of influence I was referring to. But since you've made a lot of fairly basic assumptions as to what i meant or what I should have meant & since you categorise "influence" so broadly I'll pass on answering your troll ITAWI.
[/quote]

Wasn't trolling, it was a perfectly simple question. I've always failed to understand your reasoning on this point, as it seems do others. My definition of "influence" is one that I believe I share with many other people, although doubtless there are others who disagree. Maybe the issue is that your definition differs from mine, which is what I was getting at. If you actually try to explain yourself for a change we might actually get somewhere. So how would you define an influential bassist? I genuinely want to know.

EDIT- Not that I think that Gaye Advert was an influential bassist BTW, but she was an influence on me. Jaco was certainly an influential bassist. So was Stanley Clarke. So was JJ Burnel. All by my definition of course; they influenced people to pick up the instrument or they influenced their approach to it. So who would you say were influential bassists?

Edited by 4000

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1331587127' post='1575512']
Maybe the issue is that your definition differs from mine, which is what I was getting at.[/quote]

There you go - you just condensed a couple of dozen lines into one; you can do it if you try.
BUT - as I said, you've already put enough words into my mouth as to make it a waste of time "reasoning" with you, I don't think you're capable.......... you want examples???? :rolleyes: [i]*sigh*[/i]

[i]"Also, why do you automatically assume that because someone says "so-and-so influenced a lot of people" that the person making the statement is automatically a fanboy?"[/i]
Did I? Can't see it anywhere, especially since I'd take fanboy as a bit derogatory.

[i]"Ok, seeing as you really seem to have a real bee in your bonnet"[/i] Vacuous at best.

[i]can you not separate concept and preference? [/i]I'm not the one who can't decide what an influential musician is.

Talking of influences - I always remember a quote from Billy Sheehan talking about influences in the way you play where he said that "influences are not just the things you love, they are also the things you reject", which I thought was absolutely spot on.

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1331587810' post='1575529']
Talking of influences - I always remember a quote from Billy Sheehan talking about influences in the way you play where he said that "influences are not just the things you love, they are also the things you reject", which I thought was absolutely spot on.
[/quote]

I have absolutely no idea who Billy Sheehan is, but that is a remarkably astute way of describing influences.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1331587677' post='1575525']
There you go - you just condensed a couple of dozen lines into one; you can do it if you try.
BUT - as I said, you've already put enough words into my mouth as to make it a waste of time "reasoning" with you, I don't think you're capable.......... you want examples???? :rolleyes: [i]*sigh*[/i]

[i]"Also, why do you automatically assume that because someone says "so-and-so influenced a lot of people" that the person making the statement is automatically a fanboy?"[/i]
Did I? Can't see it anywhere, especially since I'd take fanboy as a bit derogatory.

[i]"Ok, seeing as you really seem to have a real bee in your bonnet"[/i] Vacuous at best.

[i]can you not separate concept and preference? [/i]I'm not the one who can't decide what an influential musician is.
[/quote]

1) You claimed it in a previous thread. You also (IMO obviously) implied it saying "That's the thing with folk who claim their idol "influences" folk". It's quite possible to say that someone influences folk without even liking them. Marcus Miller has (by my definition) influenced lots of bassists and I can't stand him. But we've been here before.

As for your other stuff; gibberish. I really, genuinely wanted to understand your viewpoint, but you don't seem to want to share. Why do you bother posting at all if you won't engage in a decent discussion? Seems like you're the troll IMO. :rolleyes:

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1331588727' post='1575553']
Why do you bother posting at all if you won't engage in a [b]decent[/b] discussion? Seems like you're the troll IMO. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Come the day that you ever have one I promise I'll make a point in it; deal? troll?

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1331588911' post='1575561']
Come the day that you ever have one I promise I'll make a point in it; deal? troll?
[/quote]

No, you won't make a point, because you never do. You're pretty funny really. I think I've got a can of you in the cupboard. Oh no, that's Big Soup. Similar though, promises much but strangely unsatisfying.

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1331583659' post='1575409']
Most of the stuff was Rutger Gunnarsson. Fab player, one of my faves. As for screeching birds though, how very dare you! I challenge you to star-shaped, glitter-covered handbags at dawn! [/quote]

Well, one of them looked like she was about to burst into tears all the while and the other one was just blimmin' scary. :)

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1331583659' post='1575409']
What I don't get is that so many people seem to only like one type of player. Rutger Gunnarson is great. Flea is great. I like supportive, outlandish and everything inbetween. Except Marcus Miller. ;)
[/quote]

Maybe because they may be good at what they do but for those outside of the genre it does nothing?
I chose ABBA as an example because I had no starting point to find something outside my genre (So yes, I started at 'A' :lol:)

I had to go and find out what 'Flea' was all about and didn't like his performance, on any level, one little bit.
Is he a sh*t bass player? No, what he's doing matches what's going on.
Would I want to listen to it? No, to my ear it sounds like everything I hate all rolled into one.
Can anyone persuade me otherwise? No, it's a personal thing.

That's where the real differences lie here, personal taste clouding unemotive judgment on both sides. :)

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1331589120' post='1575568']
I think I've got a can of you in the cupboard. Oh no, that's Big Soup. Similar though, promises much but strangely unsatisfying.
[/quote]
Said the guy who only 10 minutes or so ago said...........
[quote name='4000' timestamp='1331588727' post='1575553']As for your other stuff; gibberish.[/quote]

Like I said ........... "Come the day".......

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1331589258' post='1575571']
Said the guy who only 10 minutes or so ago said...........

Like I said ........... "Come the day".......
[/quote]
Don't worry, this was my second attempt to understand you. I won't bother trying again.

[quote name='leftyhook' timestamp='1331588409' post='1575548']
Sorry sorry sorry - but.......
Tony Franklin..........................being granted a signature model by no less than Fender.
[/quote]

So by my reckoning that just leaves.... you and me that haven't got Fender Signature models immortalising us... :blink: ;)

[quote name='leftyhook' timestamp='1331588409' post='1575548']
Sorry sorry sorry - but.......
Tony Franklin..........................being granted a signature model by no less than Fender.
[/quote]
I think it helps when you are the artist relations manager for Fender for 8 years.
:P

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1331589225' post='1575570']
Well, one of them looked like she was about to burst into tears all the while and the other one was just blimmin' scary. :)

Maybe because they may be good at what they do but for those outside of the genre it does nothing?
I chose ABBA as an example because I had no starting point to find something outside my genre (So yes, I started at 'A' :lol:)

I had to go and find out what 'Flea' was all about and didn't like his performance, on any level, one little bit.
Is he a sh*t bass player? No, what he's doing matches what's going on.
Would I want to listen to it? No, to my ear it sounds like everything I hate all rolled into one.
Can anyone persuade me otherwise? No, it's a personal thing.

That's where the real differences lie here, personal taste clouding unemotive judgment on both sides. :)
[/quote]

I guess I just like music, although obviously not all artists. Punk, pop, jazz, metal etc, don't care really, it's ultimately not relevant. It's all just music to me.

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1331589658' post='1575584']
I guess I just like music, although obviously not all artists. Punk, pop, jazz, metal etc, don't care really, it's ultimately not relevant. It's all just music to me.
[/quote]

Me too. People just seem to love quantifying it all in some respect, god knows why. Maybe if some people on this site opened their minds a bit they might start enjoying music in the way that most other non-musicians do. 'Real' musicians have a knack of making everything to disgustingly clinical.

Geddy Lee - he can multitask and he can play fast, but nothing special.

Chris Wolstenholme - mostly his effects/tone that everyone obsesses about. he's no more skilled than Geddy Lee,
maybe a little less.

Flea - he can slap. okay. he can also sing occasionally. however, i admit he is better than
everyone on this list except maybe Geddy. he can actually do some nice fills if you listen
closely. i respect him, but quite overrated.

Cliff Whatshisface (from Metallica) - it's metallica.. how good can it be?

John Entwistle - he uses a lot of treble and distortion. okay.
only good riff he had was in "My Generation." come at me, bros.

John Paul Jones - decent i guess.. page was way more talented. only good riffs he
had were "ramble on" and "fool in the rain." okay, so he's better than entwistle. big deal.
nothing innovative here..

And no, Justin Chancellor is NOT overrated, dammit!

EDIT: i believe it's Cliff "Burton." i still think he's overrated.

Edited by lxxwj