Why become a member? ×

Fixing up cheap basses

Icarus_147

So let's say it's four in the morning, you're tired and more than likely not thinking straight, and that sparkly pink P bass you saw in the music store a week ago seems like a good idea. I mean after all, it's a P bass for only £78! This is all hypothetical, of course.

>.>
<.<

If you were to pretty much refit the bass, new pickups and strings and such, what would be the likelihood of ever getting a decent sound out of it? I have a Korg Pandora, so I have plenty of effects to cover up rough edges. I'm mostly just thinking about those Hello Kitty Strats that people started putting EMG-81s in and shredding the f*** out of them. Seems like it could be a fun little project, and it'd be a laugh I guess. Hypothetically.

There are (not unusually) two schools of thought on this.
Having said that there are two will now inevitably mean that a shopkeeper will appear from nowhere and offer a third option... :unsure:

I personally think that a £70 bass fitted with £100 worth of new hardware\electronics is just that - a £70 bass fitted with £100 worth of new hardware\electronics.
The same category as the 'yoofs' with their £300 Ford Fiestas pimped with £1000 of accessories.
[u][b]But[/b][/u], as a way of experimenting in a quest to gain understanding of what makes things work 'under the bonnet', it's hard to beat.

Others will insist that the 'final product' is a fully giggable instrument, possibly in an attempt to justify the time they have spent on it to themselves in some way.
If that was the reality of course then manufacturers would never be able to sell an instrument costing over £170. :)

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1331451089' post='1572883']
[u][b]But[/b][/u], as a way of experimenting in a quest to gain understanding of what makes things work 'under the bonnet', it's hard to beat.

Others will insist that the 'final product' is a fully giggable instrument, possibly in an attempt to justify the time they have spent on it to themselves in some way.
If that was the reality of course then manufacturers would never be able to sell an instrument costing over £170. :)
[/quote]

Yeah, that was part of the reason I wanted to do it. I have no experience with these things, and I'd like to have a go. At least I won't have to worry about wrecking something I care about that way.

And that second part is a good point too. I certainly wouldn't expect it to suddenly become a fully blown Fender or anything of course, but y'know, I would hope it'll still sound somewhat better. Good enough to gig? Maybe not, but as long as I can sit at home and have some fun with it I'd be happy.

[size=1]And I also just really want an excuse to buy a sparkly pink bass.[/size]

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1331451089' post='1572883']I personally think that a £70 bass fitted with £100 worth of new hardware\electronics is just that - a £70 bass fitted with £100 worth of new hardware\electronics.
The same category as the 'yoofs' with their £300 Ford Fiestas pimped with £1000 of accessories.

[/quote]

Hmm, I wouldn't say that's strictly true. Just because a bass has been cheap to put together it doesn't mean it's not as usuable or as 'good' and something that cost ten times as much. I tend to think that the owners of expensive basses live in a bit of dream land where money spent = always better. This doesn't have to be the case.

At the end of the day, if a cheap bass is very playable as some bits of wood and the hardware doesn't break, the most important thing is the pickups and some decent wiring backing it up. Everything else in terms of 'quality' is entirely in the mind of the owner.

[quote name='Jerry_B' timestamp='1331466560' post='1573120']
At the end of the day, if a cheap bass is very playable as some bits of wood and the hardware doesn't break, the most important thing is the pickups and some decent wiring backing it up. Everything else in terms of 'quality' is entirely in the mind of the owner.
[/quote]

Partly true, I'd say. I think if you need something that has tone, you really do have to shell out, to get better woods and such. Plus the more expensive basses tend to look far prettier, and you can be fairly safe in the knowledge that you'll be getting a well made product, whereas cheaper things can be entirely hit and miss. I'm looking at you Squier. But on the other hand, if you aren't that fussy, or you don't mind your guitar being more restricted in what it can do, but it works for what you play, then maybe yeah, cheap stuff is the way to go.

But let's face it, who doesn't want nice, expensive things?

I hatch the same plan 3 or 4 times a week, generally very late at night...

Last night, I was determined to buy one off ebay and turn it into a '64 emulator.......

Then, instead, I decide that I simply have to blow thousands and buy a real vintage one, but then I get to thinking that it's bound to be dick, so I then 'decide' that I have to have a new, NOS Custom Shop.

Generally, within about 30 minutes, I've gone off the CS idea because I 'think' the pick-ups will be crap and I'm back onto buying a Squire and transforming it into the best bass in the whole world ever.......

None of this makes actual sense, because I already have two simply marvellous American Precisions....... :)

[quote name='Jerry_B' timestamp='1331466560' post='1573120']
[/quote]

Provided an 'item' is sensibly specified, I tend towards the 'you get what you pay for' adage.
That 'item' could be anything from a car to a camera or, in this scenario, a musical instrument.

I think it all depends what you want to get out of it.

I have discovered that I quite like turd polishing as a satisfying exercise in its own right and as a learning aid. When I first did it I knew absolutely nothing about how a bass guitar was put together but having now taken a few apart, put back together, updated electrics and even managing a crap body refin, I feel I have learnt loads - much more than reading could have ever taught me. I am now much more confident about doing my own set-ups etc, whereas before I used to take them to the local luthier. Probably saved myself quite a packet as I seem to be always buying something new!

But I think the key is being selective about which old sh*te you buy to polish - not all turds are equal. My example is always the Westone Thunder Jet that I pimped - replaced the pickup, added a generic high mass bridge and a secondhand J. East P-Retro. I think the bass is well made enough and also cheap enough to buy to warrant an upgrade - certainly it sounds and plays well enough to gig, which I have now a few times. But once the thrill has gone I'll change it all back to stock and sell off the components - rather than expecting to sell for the value of the bass + upgrades. I think it owes me around £230 all-in but plays much better than that figure would suggest.

I have no hang ups about what I use for gigs - I'm equally happy to play something with 'Westone' on the headstock as 'Fender' (of which I have 2 - one of which I gave a major overhaul to) so I get real pleasure from playing and handling an instrument that I have become 'intimate' with.

I did just this a few years ago. A band i played with used to gig at a couple of pubs where it was always going to kick off. I decided I needed a bass that would suit these venues. I figured that I would rather have a bass I could crack someone over the head with, without worrying, than a prized possession that could get ruined.
I fairly quickly discovered that most of the "bargain basement" basses have really crap pickups/hardware, but can have reasonable bodies/necks. I bought a "no-name" P-Bass, (built in the same factory as some known brands apparently ;) ), and dismantled it. I went through a mountain of boxes to get a nice 3TS one with a crackin Tortie Scratchplate. Cavity screened, CTS Pots, Sprague Cap, Switchcraft Jack and a Wizard Thumper, (bought 2nd hand off here), took care of the electronics. Replaced the bridge with a Wilkinson Vintage, (brass saddles and a bargain IMHO), but the machine heads were really good so kept them. The neck already had a lovely tint added to it when sprayed and gave it that Vintage Vibe. Added a "Fecker Pretender" transfer and Roberts Your Uncle.
It ended up a really nice bass. Played well and sounded awesome.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1331471654' post='1573221']
Provided an 'item' is sensibly specified, I tend towards the 'you get what you pay for' adage.
That 'item' could be anything from a car to a camera or, in this scenario, a musical instrument.
[/quote]

Ever been in a TVR or some other performance cars? Money doesn't always buy quality or reliability ;)

[quote name='Jerry_B' timestamp='1331574132' post='1575121']
Ever been in a TVR or some other performance cars? Money doesn't always buy quality or reliability ;)
[/quote]

I did say 'sensibly specified' - things like diamond encrusted coffee perculators, solid gold bathtaps and sports cars don't really fall into that category in my world... :)

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1331577766' post='1575222']
I did say 'sensibly specified' - things like diamond encrusted coffee perculators, solid gold bathtaps and sports cars don't really fall into that category in my world... :)
[/quote]

But the asking price for some basses is on the same par, relatively speaking. Fender, etc are guilty of this, despite the fact that there seems to be no real reason for it. Even if we consider more 'normal' prices, is a new Fender bass (for example) really worth £800-1000+? Seems unlikely.

[quote name='Jerry_B' timestamp='1331582874' post='1575389']
But the asking price for some basses is on the same par, relatively speaking. Fender, etc are guilty of this, despite the fact that there seems to be no real reason for it. Even if we consider more 'normal' prices, is a new Fender bass (for example) really worth £800-1000+? Seems unlikely.
[/quote]

Fender is a bit of an oddity, their QC is somewhat suspect (and has been for a while) and they have devalued their US range with MIM, MIJ and Squier models.
I'm really not too sure 'where' they are going but I somehow think that our great grandchildren will be talking about Fender in purely historical terms if they don't sort their act out.

Are they worth £800 - £1000+ now?
Probably not.

As to what does make an instrument worth more than another, it's a combination of materials and the care with which it has been assembled - that's what I'd always pay the extra for. :)

But it sounds the same as some pickups in a plank of wood... :D

If you put together a cheap bass with as much care and attention to materials as you can (or want to) afford, you can end up with something very nice indeed. I don't think spending masses of cash on something for those reasons really makes it better than something that ends up costing much less.

Having just 'upgraded' from a Cort to a Fender Highway I'm curious over this. The Cort is very generic but shows excellent quality control. It is clearly CNC routed to great accuracy. It is so easy to set up, remains very stable in every way, it'll stay in tune for weeks and the action once set just sits there. Even the timbers in the neck look like someone took care selecting them. It plays like a dream.

The Fender has poor finish, things like frets not properly filed and so on the machine heads and bridge lack quality, the nut had to be re-formed. The neck has been made out of some less decent maple than the Cort. It is tricky to set up and drifts out of setting easily, at gigs I have to re-tune if I move into another room and again at half time. Even then it can be slightly out after an hours playing. The only plus is the sound, it is so much nicer than the Cort.

Given that the Cort has superior tuners,neck and bridge I'm wondering how much better it would sound with a decent pickup. The body is basswood I think. The Fender is ash. What else is there that contributes to the tone (given that I use the tone controls on the amp not the guitar?

I guess the OP has to look for something well made, some of the really cheap stuff isn't well put together but some of them are surprisingly good.

Edited by Phil Starr