Why become a member? ×

I ordered two Matamp amps!

tremblap

OK this is a little show off of a title ;-)

So I ordered a GT-200 after spending a whole afternoon with Jeff, Hayden, Andrew, and the others... I had brought in my Eden wt-400, my TC RH 450 and my Fender Bassman 100 from 1976... and I am selling the latter as it is no match whatsover!

I tested on their 4x10 and 2x12 and this is the best amp I've ever played in. A category on its own. I took the standard, and saw a guitar combo in balck and red and gold and loved it so I went for it! I inquired about a mid-freq-switch like they have on their guitar amps and a different taper on the drive button to be able to dial more subtly in the clean zone... voilà!

Speaking of guitar amps, I also ordered a 1224mk2 and two 2x12 for the uni studios that I am in charge of, in sparking blue...

My research assistant ( I had to bring 3 guitar players as I was not to shop for that instrument by myself ;-) almost bought one for himself too... all in all, a fantastic day out in Meltham.

I'll attach picture when I get the beasts.

pa

[quote name='tremblap' timestamp='1331232853' post='1570060']
OK this is a little show off of a title ;-)

So I ordered a GT-200 after spending a whole afternoon with Jeff, Hayden, Andrew, and the others... I had brought in my Eden wt-400, my TC RH 450 and my Fender Bassman 100 from 1976... and I am selling the latter as it is no match whatsover!

I tested on their 4x10 and 2x12 and this is the best amp I've ever played in. A category on its own. I took the standard, and saw a guitar combo in balck and red and gold and loved it so I went for it! I inquired about a mid-freq-switch like they have on their guitar amps and a different taper on the drive button to be able to dial more subtly in the clean zone... voilà!

Speaking of guitar amps, I also ordered a 1224mk2 and two 2x12 for the uni studios that I am in charge of, in sparking blue...

My research assistant ( I had to bring 3 guitar players as I was not to shop for that instrument by myself ;-) almost bought one for himself too... all in all, a fantastic day out in Meltham.

I'll attach picture when I get the beasts.

pa
[/quote]

Nice! Out of interest how did the GT-200 match in terms of versatility with the other amps? Edens especially have pretty powerful EQ IME!
Like the sound of sparking blue :D

Eden is more versatile and more punchy (tube pre but transistor class AB poweramp)... TC is even more versatile but is clinical and a little generic, like the colour on the hospital walls (though you can repaint very quickly to get a good sound...)

GT-200 sings beautifully, has a good passive EQ, well calibrated for both instruments I brought. Cranking the highs was an epiphany: never harsh yet sparkling... the disto was nasty (even naughty!) when I wanted it... an amazing musical instrument, which completes the collection. If I need something light, I won't bring it out ;-)

p

Edited by tremblap

very. very, very.

The problem is that I was told it is impossible to have the same otherwise. I have done A-B-C-D as described above, and it is true.

I don't think it is a one-rig-fits-all though, hence keeping the Eden (tighter) and the TC (lighter) but getting rid of the Fender (distorts too soon for my taste)

• 1 month later...

ok I've been to the shop again, experimenting with cabs (my Epifani 112 and Bergantino 112 and their 4x10, both neo and ceramic) and tone stack... and we are still waiting for the (huge heavy) transformers... and customising the tone stack too, as I am EQ-retentive ;-) I'll keep you posted

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

ok here is a bad-phone-camera-with-neon-light picture as I did not have my camera... and now I am far away from it travelling for job... more pictures next week! but the sound, the sound... revamped custom tone stack, different tube sets to allow more nuances of distortions (ECC81, 82 and 83 in the pre, and KT 88 in the power section), what a beast! I might do some demos later this month...

anyway, here is the picture with my Eden wt-400, my eden 410XLT, my Berg 112 and Epifani UL-112. So many combinations of tone it is dangerous!

[attachment=110029:Photo0038.jpg]

There is something all encompassing and grinworthy about playing through a big Matamp, I dont know what it is, but they do something magic with those valves.

Could I be rather rude and ask if this beasie will be making it to a bass bash this year? Im sure loads of us would love to have a wee look... :)

Sorry, playin' in is from my French syntax...

Big enough to make my 410 look small-ish... I haven't weighted it but I am certain it is around 40 lbs...

as for the feeling, it is about the headroom. There is so much musical subtleties when you play undistorted... and when you fuzz it up, it still has a very fundamental so all notes (even in a chord) are very clear.

just fantastic!

I wish I'd agree with you Edward...

I've played with about every amp existing on earth... I'm a bit shy on EBS experience, only once... most of the rest of the icons at least 5+ times... and I certainly can hear a world between this and the Eden. But you know, I am a custom bass type of guy, so I am anal retentive ;-)

I wish I couldn't hear the difference either - these darn ears cost me so much money! :lol:
Seriously though, the GT200 is probably the best sounding amp I've ever played through - vest start saving eh? :(
Your red/black one looks awesome, bet it sounds better!

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1339424461' post='1688213']
I tried a matamp at bass day. They were just like any other bass amp really.
[/quote]

Interesting thought. I guess they are in the sense of you plug them, plug in a bass and they make noise... but comparing the sounds of say Trace, Ashdown, EBS, Matamp, SWR, Ampeg, MarkBass and Eden and trying to group them into one category seems a little illogical... unless you are a player that just makes do with a "sound" and gets on with it... They all have their own very distinct tones.

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1339493152' post='1689111']
They all have their own very distinct tones.
[/quote]

Indeed. This is why I keep the Eden WT-400 and the TC RH450 (though the latter is more for portability) and different cabs...

[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1339493152' post='1689111']
Interesting thought. I guess they are in the sense of you plug them, plug in a bass and they make noise... but comparing the sounds of say Trace, Ashdown, EBS, Matamp, SWR, Ampeg, MarkBass and Eden and trying to group them into one category seems a little illogical... unless you are a player that just makes do with a "sound" and gets on with it... They all have their own very distinct tones.
[/quote]

Probably but to be honest I am not particularly bothered as long as it's loud and rumbly.