Why become a member? ×

The single finest bass tone ever...??

REDLAWMAN

Terry Uttley of 'Smokie'.

'Lay Back in the Arms of Someone you Love' just came on the radio and it was epiphanal, so I checked out their other stuff.

Just about all the studio recordings of every song they ever did have the identical, absolutely glorious bass tone!

Anyone know how you can get close to emulating this with an amp, cab & effects, please?

Is it Ampeg?

I think you're making it more complex than it actually is. :)

There weren't really any subtle effects back when that was recorded - so no effects.

Amps were pretty much of a muchness back then as well - they were either 'American sounding' or 'British sounding'.
That has a nice clean American sound to my ear.

It really just sounds like a Precision bass with a healthy click of a plectrum - a few of the promo shots from around that time clearly feature a Precision so I must admit I'm not really sticking my neck out too much by saying that... :)

I don't think the tone is particularly unusual for the time but it sounds kinda odd today as the trend towards superdupermegaoutput pickups, nuclear powered active circuits, compression, chorus, distortion and the ability to fine tune amps and cabs to attract particular types of insect whilst taking into account relative humidity and temperature have somewhat become the 'norm'.

Sometimes you just need to take a step back and see what you can do with basics. :)

[quote name='leftyhook' timestamp='1331080443' post='1567496']
used a Rick' too
[/quote]

And a Thunderbird as well....
It might be quicker to list what he [b]hasn't[/b] used at this rate... :D

...and a Warwick... this guys had some serious GAS over the years... :gas:

Edited by icastle

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1331080259' post='1567493']
Sometimes you just need to take a step back and see what you can do with basics. :)
[/quote]

You got that right. I've tried all that super-powered hi-fi stuff, but now... my new bass is a P with flats, played with a pick through a 1X12 rig. EQ flat, bit of tube warmth, that's it. No effects. It's all you need. IMHO. Old school. *waits for inevitable backlash* ;)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1331081338' post='1567506']
You got that right. I've tried all that super-powered hi-fi stuff, but now... my new bass is a P with flats, played with a pick through a 1X12 rig. EQ flat, bit of tube warmth, that's it. No effects. It's all you need. IMHO. Old school. *waits for inevitable backlash* ;)
[/quote]

ROLL UP, ROLL UP - PENNY A PUNCH!!! :lol:

I got to the point about 10 years ago where it was taking me ages to get setup and a mate of mine that I've known since we were at college together mentioned that it never used to take me that long.
I tried justifying it but kinda knew that I was on a hiding to nowhere - she's very smart at acting dumb is my mate. :)
She was right though - pedal board, rack unit and assorted flimflam and if anything, it sounded better 20 years earlier.

Nowadays it's just a smidgen of Chorus (so little that you can't really tell it was there until it goes).
I'm down to 2 out of 6 basses being active and those are pretty much left in 'flat' mode.

[quote name='Alex Spencer' timestamp='1331251431' post='1570464']
That Two Door Cinema Club has been compressed to hell! Sounds a little unnatural to my ear, still a very nice sounding tone though!
[/quote]

Yes, it's the state of the music biz these days that everything simply HAS to be massively compressed to get the volume on the track, so it doesn't sound quiet on the radio next to all the urban and pop tracks that they are being played next to. I think that is part of the issue. Also there is bound to be compresion on the bass too.
Although, TBH, I do like quite a bit of compression on slightly overdriven bass tones (usually even more than the overdrive is causing).

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1331278341' post='1570558']
...everything simply HAS to be massively compressed to get the volume on the track, so it doesn't sound quiet on the radio next to all the urban and pop tracks that they are being played next to...
[/quote]

The Loudness War continues unabated:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gmex_4hreQ[/media]

Edited by discreet

When listening to older recordings bare in mind that mixing desks were very different to how they are today and that also contributes to the tone of the instruments. Old tube mixing desks have a very distinct sound compared to a digital desk. I have used the infamous 'Duggan Desk' at the Atrium in Cardiff a few times and my amp takes on whole different personality when going through it. There's a small Ashdown rig at that studio and sounds awesome through that desk and I quite often use that because it just sounds right somehow.

Compressors back then were also quite a new technology in a recording studio and quite vulgar and basic. It was all or nothing. I guess on these songs it was there to produce a bit more muscle. My fav band that could produce that fullness and punch with just using their instruments, mics, desk and tape were Mountain. Take a listen to their album Climbing. You would never guess it was recorded in 1970!

Without going into an anologue v digital debate, some recording methods in the olden days are very hard to emulate unless you use the same kit and techniques that were used back then. I love ProTools and Logic as much as the next, but I will never get the same sound as that Duggan Desk and it's a fruitless endeavour trying to do so.

+1 to the above - we were in Gracielands to record our album last year, and one of the reasons we chose it was the fantastic (signed!) Neve 9098 desk and acres of older outboard kit, which give a much more organic feel to the process - we got to A/B with the digital gear they have there while we were recording, and I'd go with the older kit every time.

Edited by Muzz

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1331080934' post='1567500']
And a Thunderbird as well....
[/quote]

Certainly a T-bird on this clip. Nice tone!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxAZU7PK8OA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxAZU7PK8OA[/url]

[/quote]

No backlash from me dude. I live in that neighourhood too, wander elsewhere all the time, but that kind of sound is what I know as home ;)

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1331294745' post='1570873']
Is it as good as this tone though...?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUrH4NrqIjw&feature=related[/media]
[/quote]

I loved that performance when it was aired! There's only one Wilko!

[color="#000000"][quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1331278341' post='1570558'] Yes, it's the state of the music biz these days that everything simply HAS to be massively compressed to get the volume on the track, so it doesn't sound quiet on the radio next to all the urban and pop tracks that they are being played next to. I think that is part of the issue. Also there is bound to be compresion on the bass too. Although, TBH, I do like quite a bit of compression on slightly overdriven bass tones (usually even more than the overdrive is causing). [/quote][/color]

[color="#000000"]Ah yes, the loudness war is always raging! That's compression on the whole track though, not just the bass. It'll be a mixture of doing both which has had that effect on the sound. It's not to say it's wrong, but personally It really stands out to me. There's a thin line these days and it's difficult to get the right balance. Compression is a magical thing, but sadly is often over used. It's a shame...[/color]

[/quote]

Totally I agree with this although I play rounds.

I dunno about the single finest, I feel that might be yet to come in the ever changing world of amplification and instrument technology.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDGRc_krpYg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDGRc_krpYg[/url]
This has always been fairly near the top of my list of great bass tone though. Nice subtle grind, enough to give the tone a bit of edge, not so much it sounds overdriven. Far as I know this basically just a well performed and well recorded P-bass+ampeg svt.

Edited by electric nate

[quote name='electric nate' timestamp='1331493226' post='1573745']
I dunno about the single finest, I feel that might be yet to come in the ever changing world of amplification and instrument technology.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDGRc_krpYg[/media]
This has always been fairly near the top of my list of great bass tone though. Nice subtle grind, enough to give the tone a bit of edge, not so much it sounds overdriven. Far as I know this basically just a well performed and well recorded P-bass+ampeg svt.
[/quote]

Beautiful bass tone.

Good bass tone is way too subjective to come up with a definitive "best of".

I'd put this up as my view of a bass tone that I aim to achieve. I'm not there yet!

The fantastic Reggie McBride.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojA2igO6iDs[/media]