Why become a member? ×

So who here uses their pinky

Golchen

Wait for it...... I NEVER use my little/pinky finger on my left hand....... and no I'm not left handed!

The reasons being:

1. Self taught - bad habits etc...... as for my right hand, I use a pick/plectrum and NEVER use fingers/thumb.
2. Really long fingers - the span from tip of thumb to tip of little finger is 24cm (17cm from Index to little), so I don't really need me pinky.

However, I do use the small one when I play guitar!

I've been playing bass for nearly 35 years and I don't think I will/can ever change my style of playing.

Mart (the freak?)

Edited by woodenshirt

• 2 weeks later...

I used to use mine, but I can't anymore as it's become arthritic and painful. I'm starting to get occasional twinges of a similar pain in my ring finger too. Basically, my hands are doomed. :)

[quote name='johnnylager' post='189644' date='May 1 2008, 12:24 PM'][quote name='woodenshirt' post='179520' date='Apr 18 2008, 09:26 AM']
...the span from tip of thumb to tip of little finger is 24cm (17cm from Index to little)
freak?[/quote]
Er, yes. With the greatest respect of course.
[/quote]
Hmm, mine's 21cm and 15cm (I just had to know) so I don't think it's that weird!

I dont know what my measurements are as I havent checked but I have long fingers, my Nan said they where "piano" fingers (funny as I started my musical life on keys!).

Yes, I do use my pinky - I never used to, but I found as my technique evolved it became more and more essential, and now I dont even think about it.

• 2 weeks later...

I use whichever finger or part of my hand that does the job best for that note....

.....so yes....i do use my little finger :)

In fact even more so then other people perhaps, as when i'm in 'Groove' mode, I use my Index and Little finger to fret and use my ring and middle to mute the strings. When the playing is busier or more 'scale' based, then it's one finger per fret. There always exceptions to the rule, but thats my general rule of thumb........no pun intended

Si

[quote name='woodenshirt' post='179520' date='Apr 18 2008, 09:26 AM']2. Really long fingers - the span from tip of thumb to tip of little finger is 24cm (17cm from Index to little), so I don't really need me pinky.[/quote]
Never thought to measure my hands that way before, so I got the ruler out: I'm about 1cm less than you on both measurements without stretching. Still use the pinkie a lot, though.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='173096' date='Apr 9 2008, 01:50 PM']Without being contentious, I can't see how you can play WITHOUT using your pinky. One finger per fret plus two more frets by stretching (obviously not at the bottowm of the neck - see my avatar).

If you don't use your pinky (other than due to a disability), you really are cutting your potential by 25% or more (because it is the finger that can stretch the furthest).[/quote]

quite. and my hands aren't huge so it's sort of essential for me especially lower than 5th fret even with slimmer necks.
Also agree with whoever said about 'how else to play minor 3rds without changing strings' which can give a very different feel depending on your strings , action , technique.
And much much more control / fluidity when playing octaves I find - becomes easier than using 1st and 3rd fingers.

If you don't use it the persevere with it - it's worth it.