Why become a member? ×

Anyone know where I can go to play a decent range of DBs?

Beedster

We've started recording some stuff recently and I've had to play DB a bit more than usual (>1hr/wk :rolleyes: ). I'm starting to realise the limitations of the rather crude and stubborn old monster that sits in the corner of my living room which, whilst sounding OK, requires a lot of work to play even the simplest of lines. So, I'm going to let my rather underplayed Takamine B-10 go and spend up to £2000 on a DB, new or used. I really need to be able to play a load of DBs back to back to know what things work for me and what don't before I can make an informed decision. Are there any stores that stock sufficient decent instruments with decent set up to allow me to do so? I'm happy to travel some way to do so?

Other alternative of course is to arrange a Basschat DB Bash and arrive with £2000 cash :D

C

I had a bit of a shock when I got my Zeller hybrid set up recently. Completely transformed from a "so-so..not worth the effort" player to something that sounds like a bass should and makes you want to try and play it better. If you've not done it already, could it be worth a visit to good luthier before you start the expensive trade up trail?

[quote name='BassBod' timestamp='1330588479' post='1559690']
I had a bit of a shock when I got my Zeller hybrid set up recently. Completely transformed from a "so-so..not worth the effort" player to something that sounds like a bass should and makes you want to try and play it better. If you've not done it already, could it be worth a visit to good luthier before you start the expensive trade up trail?
[/quote]

Chris

I was going to make the same point as BassBod.

My 1960/70's Eastern European plywood DB with, oddly, an ebony fingerboard, sounds good and plays better. Since I got it (7 years ago) I have got the small hump on the fingerboard planed out, sorted out the nut slots, changed the strings (finally!) to Honeys, put bridge adjusters on and dropped the action.

This was in my quest to get my 'modest investment' to produce something that sounded right but was playable...the action has come down markedly, the tension of the Honeys lets the instrument speak clearly. Each 'improvement' has yielded tangible benefits in playability.

This instrument was never, and could never become a great instrument ( a DB playing friend compared it to a well set up Squier...fully functional, eminently giggable, and it sounds great recorded), but I don't need to (over)worry about knocks or carting around a high value instument to gigs and festivals. On the downside it is bright orange!

You would be very welcome to try it out if you think it would help.

Shaker

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1330558998' post='1559582']
The last time I was in Footes (about 3 years ago I think) they had 10 or 15 double basses in the basement.
[/quote]

You must have gone on a re-stocking day, the most I've seen in Footes recently were four basses. I'm afraid Footes are a shadow of their former selves, dealing in percussion a lot these days. When they were in Denman Street they were the go-to bass shop. I first went to buy a bass (£45) in the late fifties and got talking to a very nice tall black guy. It wasn't 'til I left that the sales assistant told me he was Ray Brown. OK, I've mentioned this before but indulge me.

I bought a Meinel some time ago that was ex-Footes and it was a very nice bass; regret selling it, as I do any bass.

There is also Thwaites at Watford who have some nice entry level basses on their site.

Thanks very much guys. I think my bass is, unfortunately, not even at Squier-equivalent level. It's been to a local expert (recommended through a few guys here), who initially said pretty much "that's a pile of **** and probably not worth spending any more money on" but whose verdict improved to "not actually as bad as i had thought, but still not worth spending a lot of money on" once he had played it. He did what he could, and made a difference for sure. Bottom line is, it sounds OK but I have tried about 8 sets of strings on this thing and it simply won't sustain, even following professional adjustments to the sound post and bridge. I simply don't get on with it as well as I'd like, and whilst it's fine for what I'm doing with my current band (mostly roots and fifths, the odd third and an occasional - and usually accidental - passing note), I kinda feel that it really limits my aspirations to get on and learn the instrument. I bought the Takamine as a half way house but invariably I've only played it as a large bass guitar, not as a small DB, so I'm not really getting the use I wanted from it (shoulda' kept that bloody EKO Clarky!), so I would like to at least play several instruments side-by-side to get a feel for what it is exactly that I'm looking for. OK, having done so I might stick with what I've got, but it's one of those need to know situations :rolleyes:

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1330598180' post='1559906']
shoulda' kept that bloody EKO Clarky[/quote]

[url="http://www.mercatinomusicale.com/mm/a_eko-ba4-fretless_id2363874.html"]http://www.mercatinomusicale.com/mm/a_eko-ba4-fretless_id2363874.html[/url]

[url="http://www.mercatinomusicale.com/mm/a_eko-ba-4_id2438362.html"]http://www.mercatinomusicale.com/mm/a_eko-ba-4_id2438362.html[/url]

Thanks guys (Clarky, you're a bad guy).

[quote name='BassBod' timestamp='1330601772' post='1560021']
Sounds like the perfect reason for an upright bass bash to me.....I can't think of any other way of getting access to loads of basses...some of them affordable!
[/quote]

Might be an idea. I was gonna say at least there'd be no slapping but then thought again :rolleyes:

I suggest the venue has easy vehicular access so that i can simply drive up a Transit and upload a few decent DBs whilst you're all comparing bows. Close proximity to the motorway network would also be decidedly advantageous?