Why become a member? ×

Digital Village

lukeward2004

In a change from the normal "Avoid this company at all costs" type of rant, i thought I would Highlight Digital Village - for a positive reason!

I bought a nice new AKG WMS400 wireless unit from them recently, and it arrived within two days by courier. Upon opening the box, I noticed that it came with a US power supply and yet the transmitter operates on UK frequencies???

Sent them and email and they are sending a UK mains power supply on an overnight delivery, and should be with me tomorrow morning.

Smashing service, no messing around, no fuss, and very pleasant to deal with.

Just wanted to add a positive as we often hear horror stories about rubbish service in this country.

Digital Village in Cambridge leant me a pair of monitor speakers for a weekend from their display as I needed some urgently but wanted to buy a set from them that they didn't have in stock. So, ultimately they helped me out because of my bad planning, no other reason, as they still got the sale. Good people

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='18141' date='Jun 15 2007, 11:35 AM']I'd add Andertons in Guildford in Surrey to that too. Lee who runs it is a top bloke and it shows in his store and staff.[/quote]

I couldn't agree more, they are really helpful and unlike a fair few shops I have been to they are happy to let you try out top of the range models if you are a teenager :)

[quote name='Muppet' post='18108' date='Jun 15 2007, 11:04 AM']Digital Village in Cambridge leant me a pair of monitor speakers for a weekend from their display as I needed some urgently but wanted to buy a set from them that they didn't have in stock. So, ultimately they helped me out because of my bad planning, no other reason, as they still got the sale. Good people[/quote]

+1. They've never been anything less than helpful, and have at times bent over backwards to assist.

Andy

[quote name='lukeward2004' post='17649' date='Jun 14 2007, 03:47 PM']In a change from the normal "Avoid this company at all costs" type of rant, i thought I would Highlight Digital Village - for a positive reason!

I bought a nice new AKG WMS400 wireless unit from them recently, and it arrived within two days by courier. Upon opening the box, I noticed that it came with a US power supply and yet the transmitter operates on UK frequencies???

Sent them and email and they are sending a UK mains power supply on an overnight delivery, and should be with me tomorrow morning.

Smashing service, no messing around, no fuss, and very pleasant to deal with.

Just wanted to add a positive as we often hear horror stories about rubbish service in this country.[/quote]

Same thing has just happend to me with mine.
I have just emailed them and am waiting for a reply. As im not at home for the rest of the week i have asked them to ship it to my work address.
We shall see.
What did you do with the first PSU? If i can keep mine that would be cool

[quote name='lukeward2004' post='20775' date='Jun 20 2007, 02:22 PM']I kept mine - didnt need to send it back![/quote]

Cheers.
I have just had an email from DV apologising for the 2 pin plug and that they are sending me an adaptor out tomorrow.
I have told them this is not acceptable and im sure its against EU rules as well. The unit will be returned if this is the case.
Either way i didnt get the same treatment you did.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='20858' date='Jun 20 2007, 04:51 PM']Cheers.
I have just had an email from DV apologising for the 2 pin plug and that they are sending me an adaptor out tomorrow.
I have told them this is not acceptable and im sure its against EU rules as well. The unit will be returned if this is the case.
Either way i didnt get the same treatment you did.[/quote]
There are several types of adaptor, and some of them are fine for this application.

The european standards for electrical equipment now require that a plug is fitted in order that the appliance can be legally sold in the EU. As a result, there are a couple of designs of adaptor where the continental or US two pin plug clips into a modified 13 Amp plug, and the plug lid then holds the whole lot together, like this
[url="http://rswww.com/cgi-bin/bv/rswww/searchBrowseAction.do?D=230v%20mains%20plug&Nr=AND%28avl%3auk%2csearchDiscon_uk%3aN%29&Ntk=I18NAll&Nty=1&Ntt=230v%20mains%20plug&Dx=mode%20matchpartial&Ntx=mode%20matchpartial&N=0&name=SiteStandard&forwardingPage=line&R=1843820&callingPage=/jsp/search/search.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@0128066808.1182674032@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdjaddlfijillicefeceeldgondhgi.0&cacheID=ukie"]http://rswww.com/cgi-bin/bv/rswww/searchBr...mp;cacheID=ukie[/url].

These are fine if you have a 'soap-on-a-rope' type PSU, but if you have a wall-wart and they offer you a shaver adaptor, I suggest you refuse, and if necessary, threaten to call in the trading standards officers. Standard US two pin plugs do not have sufficient clearance between the pins and your fingers, and as a result, ceased to be legal for 240 v mains applications some years ago. You may remember they used to have US power sockets on the back of HiFi systems. They, (and XLR mains connectors) disappeared because of that change in the law. Whether a wallwart complies with the clearance dimensions would depend on its size and shape, which is where trading standards officers come in.

[quote name='Mottlefeeder' post='22580' date='Jun 24 2007, 09:55 AM']There are several types of adaptor, and some of them are fine for this application.

The european standards for electrical equipment now require that a plug is fitted in order that the appliance can be legally sold in the EU. As a result, there are a couple of designs of adaptor where the continental or US two pin plug clips into a modified 13 Amp plug, and the plug lid then holds the whole lot together, like this
[url="http://rswww.com/cgi-bin/bv/rswww/searchBrowseAction.do?D=230v%20mains%20plug&Nr=AND%28avl%3auk%2csearchDiscon_uk%3aN%29&Ntk=I18NAll&Nty=1&Ntt=230v%20mains%20plug&Dx=mode%20matchpartial&Ntx=mode%20matchpartial&N=0&name=SiteStandard&forwardingPage=line&R=1843820&callingPage=/jsp/search/search.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@0128066808.1182674032@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdjaddlfijillicefeceeldgondhgi.0&cacheID=ukie"]http://rswww.com/cgi-bin/bv/rswww/searchBr...mp;cacheID=ukie[/url].

These are fine if you have a 'soap-on-a-rope' type PSU, but if you have a wall-wart and they offer you a shaver adaptor, I suggest you refuse, and if necessary, threaten to call in the trading standards officers. Standard US two pin plugs do not have sufficient clearance between the pins and your fingers, and as a result, ceased to be legal for 240 v mains applications some years ago. You may remember they used to have US power sockets on the back of HiFi systems. They, (and XLR mains connectors) disappeared because of that change in the law. Whether a wallwart complies with the clearance dimensions would depend on its size and shape, which is where trading standards officers come in.[/quote]

Thanks
Yes, they sent me the first type where you put the two pin plug inside and screw it down. seems to work well byt they are sill sending me out a proper three pin PSU in a cuople of weeks when they can get them.