Why become a member? ×

Buying an amplifier?

paul_c2

What is the accepted etiquette when going to a music shop to try out, with the potential to purchase, a bass amp? I went a couple of weeks back but I got the feeling one shop wasn't taking me seriously and I had to badger them, only to try out one amp (out of a possible 4 amps on my shortlist). The other shop was a bit more open but didn't have the same range of amps so I was unable to compare side by side the ones I wanted to hear.

So this time I'm going back, but hopefully with a bit more success. Its a practise amp of around 30W I'm after, so I don't need it to be super loud but I do want a nice proper tone (some of the little ones are useless, just trebly).

I guess taking my own bass guitars (I have 2, both passive, and of very different nature, and one is 'quiet' in its output) shows I'm kinda serious. I'd rather not go on a Saturday (shops are much busier) but my GF is a schoolteacher so there's no chance to go without her in a weekday, and I value a second (bit more impartial) opinion.

Is it fair game to want to plug into a number of amps and spend a little while with each, adjusting its tone controls etc to try get the pleasing sound I'm after?

I would tell them what I was looking at within their shop and also mention what others you have shortlisted. If they didn't take you seriously then, then they don't deserve your custom.
You may not be blessed with other shops ..but any shop worth anything at all should realise this is a potential sale and give you due respect.

As the the second question..yes, it is fair game.
If you want, you can tell that you WANT to try all 4 for whatever reason you want to tell..but just being pretty interested should be enough to get them to fire them up...

If they are that disdainful of potential customers...then I can't see how they have stayed in business... it is tough out there and I can't imagine any shop I know carrying on like that..

Edited by JTUK

I just had a quick Google but can't find any info about the Trace Elliot Boxer 30 except for a review from 2002 - is it still a current model? I've been searching a couple of weeks now and came to the conclusion that secondhand amps don't come up too frequently, and if they do there's always the risk of it being a bit worn out (I am replacing another amplifier which is now quite old, and basically its worn out). So, I was kinda thinking of just buying new anyway (not a massive price difference) and then I'm assured of a decent warranty with it.

My shortlist was:

Roland Cube 20W and 30W versions
Laney RB1 (15W) and RB2 (30W)
Fender 30W

I think Line 6 do a similar sized amp too. I'm not too keen on non-mainstream names or budget models, and I am wary of Marshall because I already have a 12W Marshall practice amp which is frankly, pants, and is also showing wear and buzzes/hums a bit.

Hi Paul

Im with NJE break the bank and go with the EBS 60 its an awsome amp for the money and will pay you back long term. Try talking to Mark at bass direct he is doing them for £245 shipped and if your near the shop he will give you good advice and let you have a proper tryout.

Cheers
Stealth

If only I had £245!!!

Well, a pretty successful day today. I went to the first shop and was able to try the Roland 20W and the Fender 30W side-by-side. I was impressed with the Fender but wanted to also hear the Laney again. Next shop only had a Hartke (35W) and Line 6 (15W) and I thought the Hartke, being the highest power in my shortlist, would also be the best. But I was a little underwhelmed with its sound, it failed to achieve the 'thump' which a bass should have. They didn't have a Fender or Laney (but I knew from my research that they did do them, just out of stock) so I went to another branch of theirs in a nearby town. They'd phoned and forewarned them......so when I arrived, they had both ready for me to plug into. I'd previously tried the Laney and was impressed. But side-by-side, I could easily tell the difference and the Fender produced the sound I like with plenty of control on the tone controls to adjust it for other variations. For its size, it produces an impressive performance!

I'm so glad I persevered with wanting to try out amps properly, with my own bass guitars (even though it meant lugging both around town). I don't know if it was bringing my basses in which affected their attitude, or simply that I'd had an uninterested shopkeeper/salesperson on the initial contact but all 3 shops were very friendly and helpful.

Since I'd already looked around on the internet and knew their prices were quite keen, I was able to buy it there and then! I just had another quick check on the internet but I'm happy I bought it from a shop because if there's any niggles I can go back quite easily etc etc

The only thing is the other amps tended to have built in effects, most of which I'd not use but a compressor would have been a benefit; and the Fender is pretty basic in its controls (just tried the overdrive and don't think I'll ever need that), just with volume, bass, mid and treble. But I already have loads of pedals etc if I need effects.

Welcome to Great Britain mate. The word 'service' is not existent in music shops apart from a few and some manufacturers who possess the intelligence to understand that customers = £££ = wages = food/mortgage/survival. It's especially hard for shops like bass merchant - where service was fantastic and yet still failed. I've been looking to spend around £2000 on a new rig and apart from Barefaced (Alex) I've got the impression that most shops don't give a toss. So I've decided to buy from the US (where i did get a great response) and pay the duty.
;-)))

[quote name='basstech' timestamp='1330281578' post='1555114']
Welcome to Great Britain mate. The word 'service' is not existent in music shops apart from a few and some manufacturers who possess the intelligence to understand that customers = £££ = wages = food/mortgage/survival. It's especially hard for shops like bass merchant - where service was fantastic and yet still failed. I've been looking to spend around £2000 on a new rig and apart from Barefaced (Alex) I've got the impression that most shops don't give a toss. So I've decided to buy from the US (where i did get a great response) and pay the duty.
;-)))
[/quote]

+1 this post Im afraid to say. We are always being told to support local shops independents but they seem to have forgotten about how to treat people. If we want crap service and cheap price we can buy off internet or go to a box shifter! I must say this doesnt just apply to music shops but everwhere from butchers to candleshops. Opening a shop does not give you the god given right to expect customers! When will they learn!

Ive got a Fender too!

Edited by mentalextra

The worst shop in my recent experience has been a chain... but I have had excellent service on the phone with a few smallish shops.
If they have the stuff in stock they will get it to you asap.

Bass Gallery, Mansons and GAK in Brighton have all been great, no problems.
I might have been able to add Bass Merchant to that had they had what I wanted in stock at the time but they seemed to know what they were doing AFACT.
Also the latter is now up and running again in a slightly new guise, IIRC. Google them for info/details