Why become a member? ×

Most Comfortable Gig Bag?

BigRedX

I regularly walk to rehearsals - approximately 35 minutes - with my bass in a gig bag on my back.

The Ritter bag I've been using is nice and comfortable but is nearing the end of it's useful life as the straps are very worn and look like they might break at any moment.

Looking at alternatives it seems to be either the Mono M80 or the Pro-Tec Contego. So which is the most comfortable to wear carrying the bass on your back?

The Contego is a big bag/case...but its fairly light and the strap system is very comfy for longer walks, probably the best I've used. I prefer the Levy's CM19 canvas bag, but mainly because its smaller and (slightly) lighter - the trade off is storage space. The Contego has lots, but everything you put in adds to the total weight.

Not used a Mono, but seen them and they look very light but well made.

TBH I don't need that much stage space. Most of my other bits and pieces go in a Bass Pod bag.

However a quick search on Google doesn't turn up any obvious UK sources of the bags (despite the fact that you can get their straps everywhere) and look on the Levy's site indicates that if I could get hold of one it would most likely be even more expensive than the Mono bag...

Strings direct used to sell them (Levys) but doesn't look like it currently. I got mine used on here a few years ago and they're still in great condition after a few years dragging around. There is a USA evilbay seller (Doc1rock?) who can do pretty good prices, but obviously shipping and taxes get in the way!

[quote name='gear4djs' timestamp='1330174299' post='1553700']
I would highly recommend the Protection Racket 7021 bass case - it's about £60, and is extraordinarily comfortable and keeps your bass incredibly safe as it's a semi hardcase with perfect padding inside. One to check out :)

Mike @ Gear4DJs
[/quote]

Can you personally recommend it as a comfortable gig bag to wear on your back with the reasonably heavy bass on a 35 minute brisk walk?

Just looked on the Protection Racket web site and that model doesn't appear to have back-pack straps? I am impressed with the weight (0.0kg) though!

[quote name='JakeBrownBass' timestamp='1330179407' post='1553782']
The mono's great on your back, big padded straps with a chest strap. I walk 3 miles every week to a rehearsal and never had any issue with discomfort!
[/quote]

That's good to hear, although I do notice from your sig that you have a deal with Mono. ;-)

How did you swing that? Now that the Terrortones are creating a bit of reputation maybe I should be looking into something like that...

[quote name='gear4djs' timestamp='1330174299' post='1553700']
I would highly recommend the Protection Racket 7021 bass case - it's about £60, and is extraordinarily comfortable and keeps your bass incredibly safe as it's a semi hardcase with perfect padding inside. One to check out :)

Mike @ Gear4DJs
[/quote]

The 70[b]5[/b]1 Bass Guitar Standard? This has the the straps for back carrying. Used it for a 15 minute trip and the wide padded straps do the job. I can stand on the case edge or neck and it doesn't collapse under my weight. Strong but light.

I've had most of the new technical bags - super-quick review:

Protection Racket - cheap, strong, well-padded, decent straps, reasonable weight
Protec Contego - reasonable price, superb construction, roomy, brilliant (partial hardshell) protection, good straps, a little heavy (my favourite overall apart from weight)
Mono - expensive, strong, fancy features, roomy and long, great straps, good protection, very light (the only full-size bag I have at the moment - I've retained this one)
IGiG - very expensive, strong, very fancy features, roomy and wide, excellent padding inside and out, excellent straps and highly adjustable, heavy

I'd honestly use/recommend any - if protection is a priority, it's the Contego, if it's weight, then the Mono (if it's looking flash, then the iGiG!)

Just looked at the weights of all these bags again and went and weighed my decaying Ritter bag (approximately 2kg).

Based on weight it's going to have to be the Mono. The next lightest is half as heavy again and some of the leather bags weigh twice as much!

Unless anyone comes back and says that the Mono bag is really uncomfortable to wear on your back for any length of time, then it's get to be the one for me.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1330254793' post='1554569']
Unless anyone comes back and says that the Mono bag is really uncomfortable to wear on your back for any length of time, then it's get to be the one for me.
[/quote]
No, it's actually fairly comfortable - I'm very weight and balance sensitive. The Mono tends to sit quite high on the back (and is long) so be careful getting on and off trains etc.

[quote name='lozbass' timestamp='1330260576' post='1554709']
No, it's actually fairly comfortable - I'm very weight and balance sensitive. The Mono tends to sit quite high on the back (and is long) so be careful getting on and off trains etc.
[/quote]

Did you find one of the others more comfortable to wear?

I shouldn't have a problem with the height. I'm already very conscious about bashing into things with my current gig bag (even though I rarely actually do).

We all know that I recommend iGig cases,but they honestly are the best gigbags I've used.The straps
are very comfortable and adjustable so that it doesn't sit too high up on your back (which is the
biggest problem with my old Protection Racket). They also offer great protection as they are super
well padded. I'll happily carry any instrument in one without worrying.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1330178231' post='1553754']
Can you personally recommend it as a comfortable gig bag to wear on your back with the reasonably heavy bass on a 35 minute brisk walk?

Just looked on the Protection Racket web site and that model doesn't appear to have back-pack straps? I am impressed with the weight (0.0kg) though!
[/quote]

I can indeed. They have very nice weight distribution - judging by another post, I'm pretty sure I got the model number wrong. It's the case with the model number [b]7051.[/b]

Straps are pretty decent and storage space is very generous :) it has these great little inserts inside the case that allow the bass to sit really 'snug' and be immovable, yet be still well padded (pretty sure you can move the inserts as they're velcro'd in). Great value for money as well, for the quality! Some gig bags get very expensive...

Mike @ Gear4DJs

Edited by gear4djs

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1330260778' post='1554714']
Did you find one of the others more comfortable to wear?
[/quote]
No, the Mono is the most comfortable for me (of course, a lot depends on personal dimensions/posture etc.) As Doddy says, straps are very adjustable on the iGiG, however, I didn't find the bag as comfortable overall as the Mono. There's no doubt that the iGiG is a great bag, overall, I found it a bit bulky. Last I saw, the iGiG was available at Bass Direct

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1330266326' post='1554835']
Bass Direct did do them,but I got mine direct from iGig and it was arrived within a week of ordering it.
[/quote]
[quote name='lozbass' timestamp='1330268798' post='1554877']
No, the Mono is the most comfortable for me (of course, a lot depends on personal dimensions/posture etc.) As Doddy says, straps are very adjustable on the iGiG, however, I didn't find the bag as comfortable overall as the Mono. There's no doubt that the iGiG is a great bag, overall, I found it a bit bulky. Last I saw, the iGiG was available at Bass Direct
[/quote]

iGig are no longer listed on the Bass Direct site. If you do a search for UK dealers the only real page that comes up is the (now hidden) Bass Direct one with all the iGig models listed as out of stock.

I've sent them an email regarding international shipping costs and times.

I'm still leaning towards the Mono bag - maybe because it's the only one I've actually seen "in the flesh".

[quote name='gear4djs' timestamp='1330266612' post='1554842']
I can indeed. They have very nice weight distribution - judging by another post, I'm pretty sure I got the model number wrong. It's the case with the model number [b]7051.[/b]

Straps are pretty decent and storage space is very generous :) it has these great little inserts inside the case that allow the bass to sit really 'snug' and be immovable, yet be still well padded (pretty sure you can move the inserts as they're velcro'd in). Great value for money as well, for the quality! Some gig bags get very expensive...

Mike @ Gear4DJs
[/quote]

I'm assuming that you have one yourself. Could I trouble you to weigh it for me as I don't believe what it says on the web site!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1330269516' post='1554899']
I'm assuming that you have one yourself. Could I trouble you to weigh it for me as I don't believe what it says on the web site!
[/quote]

No problem - I can do that for you tomorrow when I get back into the office, as we have a set of proper courier scales :) will post my findings back here!

Mike @ Gear4DJs

Edited by gear4djs

Many thanks to everyone who took the time to reply.

In the end I decided to go with the Mono bag. I've seen one in person and it appeared to be the lightest of all the semi-rigid bags.

Turned up today and from a weight PoV I'm glad I didn't go with one of the others because even this one is already noticeably heavier than my Ritter and this is supposed to be the lightest of this type of gig bag. It doesn't feel quit as comfortable on my back as the Ritter either, but then again it's all brand new and still very stiff. I'll reserve judgement on that until I've used it for a couple of weeks. In every other respect though it seems excellent and there's a lot more storage space than the photos on the Mono web site had me believe.

I'll write a more detailed report in a month or so time when I've had a chance to wear it in and found all the things I really like and those that I think aren't so goo.