Why become a member? ×

Aged or not??

GregHughes

Although it pains me to buy new I'm considering a new Sandberg as I really doubt that I will find the model and colour that I'm after second hand as they are rare enough as it is.

Question is should I get it aged or not?

They look really cool aged and they do a really good job but does seem a bit strange to pay extra to damage a perfectly good guitar.

If aged should I go soft or hardcore?

What are others thoughts on this?

[quote name='GregHughes' timestamp='1330077586' post='1552256']

does seem a bit strange to pay extra to damage a perfectly good guitar.

What are others thoughts on this?
[/quote]

This makes sense to me. Why anyone would want a damaged looking guitar, and pay more for it is beyond me. People who have owned a bass for years can wear the marks and dents etc with pride. Each one could tell a story etc, but to pay for someone else to do this to a brand new bass is beyond me.

As you can see, im not one of the "roadworn" or "relic" gang, not that these basses have ever been road worn, and brand new they cant be relics.

No offence, just giving my opinion.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1330078509' post='1552275']
How old are you? Is it too late for you to age it yourself by having a long an distinguished gigging career?
[/quote]+1
There is nothing like a guitar that has battle scars that you created yourself. In the words of mcpitman "You're one of them tossers who goes in a clothes shop, buy a pair of jeans that are already dirty"! :D Seriously though, Only you decide!

Thanks for the comments. Its very much down the lines I was thinking..... but they do look cool and I don't have time to age one myself plus I would probably be inclined to keep really good care of a new guitar and try and ensure that it doesn't get scratched so it would take even longer to get that aged look.

In an ideal world I would buy a second hand one which was already aged but that is not going to happen as they don't exist.

Good thinking.

You could also offer to pass it around a few of the more "punk" members on BC for few weeks each, and let them do it for you. At least the battle scares would have a bit more meaning to them and it would become a classic at no extra cost :laugh1:

Edited by dave_bass5

No there's a thought. I've never thought about damaging a guitar on purpose especially at the price they are.

To be fair though the chaps at Sandberg do know what they are doing when it comes to ageing and I think there is more to it then simply damaging it. I doubt mine "home made" version would look anything like as good.

I saw that one but I'm really after a JJ (TT) and don't really like the sliver colour either. Plus I can get a new one special ordered from Germany for a little more than that in the colour/spec I'm after.

I guess one thing that would go in favour of the aged look is that you get a new guitar which you know in perfect working order but looks and feels like a old guitar. The one problem with buying second hand, especially a slightly battered vintage guitar is that you not only end up paying extra but you have no idea what has happened to it over the years and if its quite battered then its obviously not been looked after that carefully.

I know that can also be part of the appeal and history but you do end up paying extra for them and they are not necessarily any better sounding or playing. I bought an old fender a few weeks ago and do love that used feel.

Probably something that has been discussed in length elsewhere over the years.

I remember a couple of years ago OHM had what i would call my almost perfect Sandberg (100% would be Blackburst). It was a custom Cali PM4 with block inlays and it was very, very cheap. The one thing that put me off was it was a relic model. It was only lightly distressed but as it was white i felt it looked horrible.
I do now wish i had brought it :-(

Edited by dave_bass5

When Stevie Ray Vaughan, Jaco Pastorious, Billy Sheehan or Bobby Vega roll up with a worn out instrument they have the chops to back it up.

I think some people might have higher expectations of your playing if you show up with (what looks like) a well gigged bass.

Edit: I'm not suggesting there's anything wrong with your playing! ;)

Edited by Fat Rich

Personally, if I had the money to buy a brand new one, I would want it to be all shiny and new. If you're into aging, the Sandberg guys do an excellent job of it, but it's not for me I'm afraid.

You wouldn't go and buy a brand new car from the showroom with rust, scratches and dents! :D

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1330086599' post='1552445']
Personally, if I had the money to buy a brand new one, I would want it to be all shiny and new. If you're into aging, the Sandberg guys do an excellent job of it, but it's not for me I'm afraid.

You wouldn't go and buy a brand new car from the showroom with rust, scratches and dents! :D
[/quote]

You obviously weren't buying cars in the days of British Leyland ;)

If you do go for an instrument that is already worn (either real or fake) just make sure that the existing wear patterns are consistent with you playing style. There's nothing more fake looking than if you start adding your own wear in completely different places to what is already there.

For example there was a review in one of the guitar magazines of some relic'd guitars one with a maple finger board showing typical finger wear. However if someone saw me playing that they would instantly know it was fake because they'd be able to see that the existing wear pattern was nothing like what it should be based on what I play.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1330090482' post='1552560']
If you do go for an instrument that is already worn (either real or fake) just make sure that the existing wear patterns are consistent with you playing style. There's nothing more fake looking than if you start adding your own wear in completely different places to what is already there.

For example there was a review in one of the guitar magazines of some relic'd guitars one with a maple finger board showing typical finger wear. However if someone saw me playing that they would instantly know it was fake because they'd be able to see that the existing wear pattern was nothing like what it should be based on what I play.
[/quote]

People's playing usually evolves, most of the wear on my older basses is around the bridge pickup and some scratches under the D and G between the end of the neck and the neck pickup from playing slap. These days I'm usually playing fingerstyle around the neck pickup, plus I've recently started learning to play with a pick. In 20 years time I'll probably have worn some new holes in the finish.

I also reckon if someone noticed the wear patches on your bass don't match what you're playing then they're probably stalking you! ;) :P

Edited by Fat Rich

My old jazz was new when I bought it in 73. It now has its own distressed look but I have earned that over the last 40 years. Cant believe anyone would want to pretend their bass was much older than it actually is. If you have it distressed from new it will probably look like a total wreck when it is as old as mine