Why become a member? ×

Sandberg love!

pietruszka

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1378421665' post='2200246']

Nah! Rosewood fretboard.
[/quote]

You're making me think now..... :D

I do usually prefer rosewood (or ebony) fretboards, but I've had gas for a maple board for ages now. The other trouble is that I don't know if the whole thing would look a bit bling for me. You know when you like the look of something but don't know if it would suit you?

The other issue (again) is that I really love the black one, but I just think it looks maybe a bit boring. My band mates and wife say it looks cool, and rightly point out that it would fit in in any situation pretty much.....

Just need to win the lottery, then I can order several! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Just realised I didn't actually mention what I've ordered! For those of you who haven't seen the "what colour headstock" thread in bass guitars, I've ordered:

Sandberg Bullet Booster 5
Cherry sunburst
Swamp Ash body upgrade
Maple fretboard
Custom plain maple headstock
Black hardware
3-band eq upgrade

Will look something like this, apart from the headstock and extra knob:http://basschat.co.uk/uploads/monthly_09_2013/post-14387-0-63037400-1379662763.jpg

Although I think the colour won't look that bright, this California TM is also cherry sunburst:http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/697/img9724c.jpg

Very excited! :D

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, TRBboy! Just catching up with this thread and was looking at your post of 5th September, and thinking 'great specs, but wrong choice of hardware - black would be much nicer with the cherryburst' - and then reading on and lo and behold you went with the black! Excellent choice! This bass is going to be a thing of beauty and wonder. Please show pics when it arrives!

My California TM fretless:

[attachment=147021:sb3.jpg]

[attachment=147022:sb6.jpg]

[attachment=147023:sb7.jpg]

As tight a neck pocket as I've ever seen on a Jazz-style bass:

[attachment=147024:sb9.jpg]

Normally I prefer gloss finishes on Fender-style basses but this satin job has really grown on me - and much to my surprise seems to be more durable - not a sign of buckle rash on the back!

Oh, and by the way, it sounds fantastic ...

[quote name='GrammeFriday' timestamp='1382818641' post='2257002']
Hey, TRBboy! Just catching up with this thread and was looking at your post of 5th September, and thinking 'great specs, but wrong choice of hardware - black would be much nicer with the cherryburst' - and then reading on and lo and behold you went with the black! Excellent choice! This bass is going to be a thing of beauty and wonder. Please show pics when it arrives!
[/quote]

Thanks man, it should be a cracker! The wait is killing me though :( I'll be sure to post pics when it arrives.

Love your fretless, very nice indeed. I think the matt finish looks good on these, plus it kinda sets them apart from other Fender-a-likes.

Great thread here!

I'm awaiting my first Sandberg bass. California TT, black with rosewood fingerboard. Will upload pics when it arrives :-)

On another note, has anyone checked out the Sandberg Configurer on their website? [url="http://www.configurator.sandberg-guitars.de/"]http://www.configurator.sandberg-guitars.de/[/url]. Good bit of fun. Here's my creation.....If only I had the pennies..

Thanks, TRBboy and ezbass.
Talking of black hardware, I did toy with the idea of swapping the chrome hardware on the fretless for black for a while, but that urge to spend unnecessary money on a purely (and possibly futile)cosmetic exercise seems to have faded away now, thankfully! But I will own a bass with black hardware at some point - maybe my next Sandberg!

Edited by GrammeFriday

[quote name='paulieaudiobloom' timestamp='1383573630' post='2265980']
Does anyone know where I can find the serial number on my Sandy california? Cheers.
[/quote]

Hey man, it should be stamped on the back of the headstock (indented in Wood, no ink), although they can sometimes be pretty tough to read and involve a bit of tilting in the light and squinting! :D

[quote name='paulieaudiobloom' timestamp='1383602875' post='2266570']
Ahhh found it! Quite hidden aren't they?!
Do you know where I can date it? I looked onthe Sandberg site but couldn't find anything...

Cheers :-)
[/quote]

You'll have to either send them an email (try [email protected]) or send a message via their Facebook page.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Jabba The Hutt' timestamp='1385293647' post='2286427']
Folks, what am I doing wrong... ? I'm struggling like a fool to update my photos.... have tried to cut and paste them into this forum but no joy... maybe I'm just stupid..
[/quote]

It can be awkward sometimes, but you should just be able attach am image, might have to use the full editor though. Otherwise if you use Picasa, Dropbox, etc, just paste the url.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, got my new Sandberg on Wednesday! It's a Bullet Booster 5 in cherry sunburst with a maple neck. I upgraded to a swamp ash body, plain maple headstock, and a 3-band eq. Gigged it for the first time last night and it kicks ass! it's sooo light on the strap, but sounds monster! I guess it has a slightly darker, mellower sound than my Ken Taylor (as I'd expected with soapbars), but it's awesome. The Bullets have essentially the same neck as the Basic series, so I'm on familiar ground there, it almost plays itself. Had to change the strings after the first rehearsal, I really don't get on with the Sandberg ones for some reason.... Anyway, here it is:

[attachment=153986:IMG_2696.JPG] [attachment=153987:IMG_2698.JPG] [attachment=153988:IMG_2699.JPG]

EDIT: Don't know why the pics have gone sideways, sorry!

Edited by TRBboy