Why become a member? ×

Sandberg love!

pietruszka

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1350662250' post='1842014']
Here's my new toy:

[/quote]

Awesome man! Good choice going for the highgloss on alder too IMO, saved about a pound in weight over a matt/ash version, and a bit more low-mid growl to boot.

Pleased with it?

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1350662250' post='1842014']
Here's my new toy:

[/quote]

That's probably my ideal bass right there. Ticks pretty nearly all the boxes ... P/MM config, active, 5 string, Alder body.

I don't suppose there's anyone here in or near London with one of these (4 or 5 string, Alder or Ash body) who'd be able to meet up somewhere for me to try out ? I feel virtually ready to order one but have never played one, so I'm a bit hesitant. Please PM me if you think you could help.

Andy

[quote name='BigBeatNut' timestamp='1350679756' post='1842352']
I don't suppose there's anyone here in or near London with one of these (4 or 5 string, Alder or Ash body) who'd be able to meet up somewhere for me to try out ? I feel virtually ready to order one but have never played one, so I'm a bit hesitant. Please PM me if you think you could help.
[/quote]

My VT5 (that's a PJ to you and me) will be landing in London in two weeks Andy. More than happy to meet somewhere if you fancy giving it a workout.

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1350674624' post='1842274']
Awesome man! Good choice going for the highgloss on alder too IMO, saved about a pound in weight over a matt/ash version, and a bit more low-mid growl to boot.

Pleased with it?
[/quote]

Yes, i'm very pleased, very vintage sounding. Your description is very accurate, the bass is very light and growls a lot!

[quote name='BigBeatNut' timestamp='1350679756' post='1842352']
That's probably my ideal bass right there. Ticks pretty nearly all the boxes ... P/MM config, active, 5 string, Alder body.

Andy
[/quote]

Sorry, i'm from Portugal. I've posted a video on my topic from the gig i did with the bass and next saturday i'm goin to a bass bash where i expect to make another video with more quality with the bass on the hands of somebody that plays far better than me, lol

Cheers to you all

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1351252648' post='1849263']
Just heard the completion date for my VT5 has been put back two weeks :(
[/quote]oh god, that doesn't bode well for me then! I'm hoping to hear back from Alan at Synergy on Monday with an update on mine. Last time I chased I was told late December, and I was really hoping to use it for the New Years gig.

• 2 weeks later...

My last VM4 got nicked in May :( but I ordered a new one with the insurance money with pretty much the same spec. It's just been built and is on it's way & it looks even nicer than my last one. I was gonna wait until it actually arrived before I posted pics of it but I'm just too excited! Thanks thieves!

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1352322465' post='1861764']
But with typical German efficiency it's landed on time.... should be with me Friday B)

[url="http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7125/8164939977_d66a8d4326_o.jpg"][/url]

[/quote]

Oh dear... Sandberg should really rethink their carier services, that bass got some knocks along it's way... :shok:

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1352464327' post='1863380']
Oh dear... Sandberg should really rethink their carier services, that bass got some knocks along it's way... :shok:
[/quote]

Yes, it's in worse condition that my 1970 P bass!

First impressions:[list]
[*][i]beautifully[/i] put together
[*]aging is very well done
[*]lovely smooth pots and sounds fantastic in active or passive, very subtle eq
[*]tortoiseshell scratchplate looks cheap, may replace it, but then I'll have to age it!
[*]9.5lb
[/list]
The only issue is that because I asked for a light bass it feels just ever so slightly neck heavy: I am hopeful that a set of Dunlop straplocks and a wider strap will sort this.

Cheers

Gareth

Mine is very light too and the electronics are like you described, smooth and subtle but capable of a variety of sounds. I'm finding that on my bass i need to boost both the highs and lows just a little bit to get it to cut better in the mix.

There's also another isssue i'm trying to figure out, it seems that my bass could need some shielding, on two consecutive gigs playing practicly on top of a 18" sub i had some noise on my channel, both subs were from diferent brands (belonging to the house's PA) and i used diferent bass heads in each gig (Shuttle 9.0 and Walkabout). also tried it with bass gaoing straight to the amp without fx so i'm positive that the problem lies with the bass. Has anyone had a similar problem? Could it be a battery fault, on my TRB i get a similar sound when the battery is drained but the one on the Sandberg came new and only has 3 weeks of use. Another thing, i've played in the past with the TRB next to said subs and got no noise at all!

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Sumbabba' timestamp='1354211355' post='1883720']
Here she is, just arrived today. The gap in my life has been filled again! :D
[/quote]

Very nice dude! You must be pleased! What's the top wood?

So jealous, everyone's Sandbergs are arriving and there's still no sign of mine...... :(

[quote name='Jigster' timestamp='1341001560' post='1712828']
ah, some experts online! I know it's pretty self explanatory, but occurs to me that in passive the Basic has no eq - does any of the knobs do tone control?
[/quote]

Personally I don't think it needs one, the passive mode does give that nice passive 'sheen' to the sound, but it has a lot more top end than most passive basses, probably because it by passes everything else.
I would try one before hand though as always.

I'm not a fan of passive sounds on any bass but this is pretty nice, I think a tone control would just get in the way.

The active sound is too nice though. I just wish the bass band's Q wasn't that wide as it does effect a lot of the frequency range, compared to EBMM standard preamp.

[quote name='RafBass' timestamp='1355125285' post='1894261']
I do wish folk would stop banging on about how great Sandbergs are....(the Fender Benders might find out and start buying them, pushing the price up beyond us poor mortals!!)
[/quote]

:D

Nice pair! What is the bottom one? is it a Ken Taylor with different pickups and an extra switch? It's very pretty!

Been told by Sandberg that my new one should be here before Christmas, WOO HOO!!!

The bottom picture is a custom with mahogany body, with a walnut sandwich and a burl maple top, birds eye neck and 'gold' hardware. Standard Sandberg humbuckers with coil taps and a three band Glock EQ. It is, without out doubt, the best Bass I have ever played in 45 years of playing. the expression "it plays like butter" was invented by this bass!!

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1352730856' post='1866619']
Mine is very light too and the electronics are like you described, smooth and subtle but capable of a variety of sounds. I'm finding that on my bass i need to boost both the highs and lows just a little bit to get it to cut better in the mix.

There's also another isssue i'm trying to figure out, it seems that my bass could need some shielding, on two consecutive gigs playing practicly on top of a 18" sub i had some noise on my channel, both subs were from diferent brands (belonging to the house's PA) and i used diferent bass heads in each gig (Shuttle 9.0 and Walkabout). also tried it with bass gaoing straight to the amp without fx so i'm positive that the problem lies with the bass. Has anyone had a similar problem? Could it be a battery fault, on my TRB i get a similar sound when the battery is drained but the one on the Sandberg came new and only has 3 weeks of use. Another thing, i've played in the past with the TRB next to said subs and got no noise at all!

Cheers
[/quote]

Just to put this straight, my bass didn't needed shielding after all, it's perfectly shielded with both graphite spray and copper foil. The problem with it was simply a fault on the pickups with lack of ground connection to some of the pole pieces. Sandbergs support was excelent helping me identify the problem and sent me new pickups free of charge to put in my bass (i have some soldering skills and was faster this way so they agreed to send me the pickups for me to install without loosing waranty).
Now my bass sounds even better and has more output. No more need to boost the EQ to give that extra bite :)

Some more love here.

My favourite bass and one currently up for trade-for another Sandberg hopefully :)

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/191745-happy-bassday-to-me/page__p__1897543__hl__umbo__fromsearch__1#entry1897543"]http://basschat.co.u..._1#entry1897543[/url]
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/194483-sandberg-california-supreme-tm4-ft/page__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.u...__fromsearch__1[/url]

Note: there is very little in it between them they are both great basses.

Edited by Pinball