Why become a member? ×

Please please help - Ampless!

ashevans09

Hello there,

About two months ago I bought an American Mesa BB750, and after arriving here I've taken it to a couple of amp techs and shops, all of whom have told me they can't rewire it for UK voltage. I find this pretty staggering to be honest, because as far as I was aware all Mesa's have a dual voltage transformer, and even if they didn't I was told changing it isn't a big deal. Obviously I was wrong.

So, here's the thing, I need a bass amp pretty quickly. I'm currently borrowing a rig for gigs and while I'm very grateful to be able to just even use one, it's not the same as your own. I've invested my time and money in this Mesa and I really would like to get it working, so do I just buy a pretty heavy duty step down converter, or can anyone tell me of a tech who will be willing to sort this for me (preferably in the Oxford/London area)?

Money isn't an issue here, I just want this sorted.

Thanks for the help, guys :)

Ash

[quote name='ashevans09' post='171949' date='Apr 7 2008, 11:01 PM']About two months ago I bought an American Mesa BB750, and after arriving here I've taken it to a couple of amp techs and shops, all of whom have told me they can't rewire it for UK voltage. I find this pretty staggering to be honest, because as far as I was aware all Mesa's have a dual voltage transformer, and even if they didn't I was told changing it isn't a big deal. Obviously I was wrong.[/quote]

Hey Ash

I'm not being funny, but... there's no suggestion anywhere on the web that Mesa heads can be rewired for UK voltage. That was quite an assumption you made!

FWIW, I think a transformer is the way forward.

I know a guy at Panic Music (official Ampeg repair centre). He's got some intresting things to say about step down transformers and their use with amps, suffice to say he does not recommend them. I'm no techy so I can't tell you the details but if you are interested then speak to Mike.

Saying that, I've a heavy duty stepdown transformer you can have for free if you can collect it from Peterborough.

The cost of a step down transformer can vary substantially, depending on the power rating it has. I wish I could remember where I got the one I used with my SWR Bass350... ...someone on BW bought it off me.

[quote name='Muppet' post='172409' date='Apr 8 2008, 04:57 PM']I know a guy at Panic Music (official Ampeg repair centre). He's got some intresting things to say about step down transformers and their use with amps, suffice to say he does not recommend them. I'm no techy so I can't tell you the details but if you are interested then speak to Mike.

Saying that, I've a heavy duty stepdown transformer you can have for free if you can collect it from Peterborough.[/quote]

Hmm, interesting that, I might drop him a line.

And also that's really kind of you :) , unfortunately I'm not in a position to collect it, but nevertheless that was stella of ya mate!

As I need this amp for friday, I'm buying a stupidly heavy duty step down transformer from a local builders' supplier tomorrow for the short term, and for a long term solution I'm gonna start calling around some of the amp techs mentioned here.

Thanks alot guys! :huh:

Ash

• 4 months later...