Why become a member? ×

Calling Wal experts - getting a fretted neck for a fretless?

Clarky

I have a fretless Mk 1 and wonder about getting a matched fretted neck (allowing the choice).

Does anyone happen to know if Wal has a stock of necks lying around (so you don't have to wait 1 year plus for them, like a full bass) and how much Paul Herman would charge (roughly)?

Ta

Probably worth a wanted add and a word with some dealers (Gallery). There are probably a few spare necks about - Wal used threaded inserts for the bolts, which made it more practical to swap over (holes didn't strip like wood screws do). I know I passed my Pro IIE on with both a fretted and fretless neck, and the new owner probably has one left.....

Edit - for the following;

Thinking about it, PM me if you're interested and I may be able to "find" one? Worst case scenario is it will need a new fingerboard....but could be potentially quick and cheap-ish?

Edited by BassBod

I have been contacted about a spare fretted Wal Mk 1 neck (it looks great although the hardware is chrome, whereas on my bass its gold). Its Euro 520 posted to UK (ie, around £430) which isn't so eye-watering. I don't think I will go for it but if anyone else is interested I can put them in touch

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You are very lucky to hear from Wal/Paul. I sent quite a few emails about refinishing/servicing my Wal frettless, and got close to no answer. I find weird when based on their fame companies will just ignore potential work (I guess when you build full time such legendary basses you really do not need money of a refin). No answer at all, not even "call me at the shop to discuss, it's easier than email....." or something like that...

I find that to be a real shame... as i have heard other stories, of for example a wal owner being Ignored for spare parts....

In my opinion for such high priced instrument, to have close to no customer service is a big shame...

don't get me wrong... i have two anyways... they are awesome, but given the communication, if one day they have something wrong with them...
I probably won't go to Wal to get them fixed.... wich is a shame..

[quote name='pierreganseman' timestamp='1332719961' post='1592192']
In my opinion for such high priced instrument, to have close to no customer service is a big shame...

don't get me wrong... i have two anyways... they are awesome, but given the communication, if one day they have something wrong with them...
I probably won't go to Wal to get them fixed.... wich is a shame..
[/quote]

I wouldn't say he has close to no customer service at all, he's just completely swamped in building basses so has barely anytime on his hands for anything else!

I was there in November to pick up my new MK1 and Paul runs the whole operation on his own except for a couple of part-time workers....you've certainly got to give him credit for taking on Wal on his own.

The prices have just gone up again as well to £3650.....that's £450 in 2 years. Plus the waiting time used to be 12 months, now it's 19 months